Schitt Asgard + Sennheiser HD650?
Jan 29, 2011 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Intjmastermind

New Head-Fier
I'm currently running my Sennherise HD650 from a Nuforce uDAC-2. The uDAC-2 is rated to 300 Ohms, and the HD650's sound really good from them. :)

Would adding a discreet amp to this setup make a significant improvement? I've never tried big amps, so I don't know what I'm missing, or even if I'm missing anything.

I was thinking: Computer (USB) --> uDAC-2 (RCA line out) --> Schiit Asgard --> HD650

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
I'm currently running my Sennherise HD650 from a Nuforce uDAC-2. The uDAC-2 is rated to 300 Ohms, and the HD650's sound really good from them. :)

Would adding a discreet amp to this setup make a significant improvement? I've never tried big amps, so I don't know what I'm missing, or even if I'm missing anything.

I was thinking: Computer (USB) --> uDAC-2 (RCA line out) --> Schiit Asgard --> HD650

I use  uDAC2 > Asgard > HD600 and it sounds great.

The HD600's are very neutral cans and can sound a bit boring unless they are powered adequately - the Asgard provides more musical texture and soundstage than just the uDAC2 headphone outs [although these are superb for a portable amp].

The uDAC2/Asgard combo is also dynamite with the Grado GS100i - strings and voice are awesome with this setup.

I'm listening to WFMT [Chicago] with the Grados and it's hard to believe that this is just a 128K stream.

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 16
I also use Asgard with HD650. I see more refinement in the sound with Asgard and a good sound stage 

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 16
Just to give you an idea, I used to have uDAC1 -> HD650.

When I switched to  uDAC1 -> Valhalla -> HD650, it was a notable upgrade.

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Quote:
I also use Asgard with HD650. I see more refinement in the sound with Asgard and a good sound stage 

does it add any coloration?  Im interested in these for analyzing/referencing music. like mixing tracks etc..

With Asgard, I could see following effect - little bit addition to bass and a small amount of  highs are rolled off ( effect of hd650, i believe ). If you are going to use hd650 for mixing / analyzing , then the effects of hd650 such as bass addition and rolled off highs may be of some concern... IMHO...

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Quote:

Is the Asgard a tube amp, or do you have to step up to the Valhalla to get tubes?

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is the Asgard a tube amp, or do you have to step up to the Valhalla to get tubes?

The latter.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 16
So, with the uDac-2 plugged to the Asgard via RCA line-out, adjusting the volume knob on the uDac-2 alters the amplitude of the line-out signal. I'm assuming that the volume knob adjusts a passive potentiometer, likely before the op-amp stage since it affects both headphone and line-out.

What do you recommend I leave the volume knob set to on the uDac-2? Full volume? Half-volume? Somewhere in between?

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
So, with the uDac-2 plugged to the Asgard via RCA line-out, adjusting the volume knob on the uDac-2 alters the amplitude of the line-out signal. I'm assuming that the volume knob adjusts a passive potentiometer, likely before the op-amp stage since it affects both headphone and line-out.

What do you recommend I leave the volume knob set to on the uDac-2? Full volume? Half-volume? Somewhere in between?

I have a different amp but Ive tried this, and I cant hear a difference myself so I keep the udac2 at full volume.

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

I just wanna point out that output impedance has nothing to do with drivability.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:

I would recommend leaving the volume knob of the uDac-2 at half-volume; it clips after that, and quite noticeably at 1 o'clock.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 16
Okay noob question here...

As I was considering a similar setup I always assumed the purpose of line out was to bypass any amplitude changes via the volume knob. Why do they design it this way? It doesn't seem to make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back