Schiit's Saga Preamp Impressions
May 26, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #46 of 191
How do you play records with the tonearm zip tied to the rest?

HAHAHAHAHA! I was wondering if anyone would catch that! The Esprit was a gift to my wife ... and I had just plugged everything in and sent that pic over =D

However ... I did try to play an album with the stylus cover still installed ... now that was a freaky scary moment ... it took about 10-15 seconds to realize what n00b mistake I had made! I thought my Mani or amp had died!

May 26, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #47 of 191
Nice looking system.
What differences have you found in sound with the new tube? I'm still using the stock valve, and to be honest can't hear any difference between direct mode and tube mode!
I'm delighted with both Saga and Mani too.

And here's my Schiit heap.

OK, so I've tried a lot at this point, about 2x as many as I have listed and picture on the rolling thread ... but for the Raytheon that I've settled on ... it adds a "liquidity" to the music that is a little hard to describe. It's like soft velvet compared to the brittle cheese grater GE GTA and GTB I tried. It's less sparkly than the Sylvania, but with just as much bass extension. Smooth and slightly relaxed ... it seems to mesh really well with my setup.

The differences between passive and active are not subtle in my setup ... active adds a fair amount of depth and some extra "meat on the bones" so to speak.

Horribly non-audio-esque descriptions, but it's hard for me to qualify in words!

May 26, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #48 of 191
Nice looking system.
What differences have you found in sound with the new tube? I'm still using the stock valve, and to be honest can't hear any difference between direct mode and tube mode!
I'm delighted with both Saga and Mani too.

And here's my Schiit heap.

IS THAT A MINIDISC in your rack!?!?!?! I bought one in Japan over a decade ago ... most people I've met haven't even heard of things! I still have a stack of blank MDs laying around somewhere! They were my way of listening to Napster while traveling, and I'll never give mine up! =D

May 26, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #49 of 191
Very nice setup!
Odin, I have to updated my posts at the rolling page, but thank you for the update on the EH Gold Pin! I appreciate it, as that's not a cheap tube for new stock!!!

May 27, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #51 of 191
:blush:
IS THAT A MINIDISC in your rack!?!?!?! I bought one in Japan over a decade ago ... most people I've met haven't even heard of things! I still have a stack of blank MDs laying around somewhere! They were my way of listening to Napster while traveling, and I'll never give mine up! =D

Yes, a Sony recording Walkman. I don't use it much these days, just for recording the occasional thing off the radio. Lurking underneath it is a Sony Walkman Professional, which gets even less use, but I can't bear to part with it because it's such a fine piece of gear. When it does get used I am always impressed by the results it gives from the humble cassette.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #52 of 191
I don't see why not, I use my Valhalla 2 wide open connected to my SAGA for volume control....no problems....same for my Vali 2. Dead silent with no music ! Works great.

Hey Limelake,
I just ordered my Saga yesterday. I currently am using my Valhalla 2 as my pre. I need clarification regarding hooking the Valhalla to the Saga, you use the second set of outs on the Saga to the Valhalla? How does it sound with phones? I contacted Schiit and was told to buy 2 "Y" connectors to channel my sources ( turntable ) , but if the way you described works I will check that out before purchasing additional connectors.
Thanks for the help.

Bakerman

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #53 of 191
I had a Saga and really liked it. I wanted to go fully balanced so went for the Freya but definitely enjoyed the Saga. I am using the Freya with the Gungnir Multibit.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #54 of 191
Hey Limelake,
I just ordered my Saga yesterday. I currently am using my Valhalla 2 as my pre. I need clarification regarding hooking the Valhalla to the Saga, you use the second set of outs on the Saga to the Valhalla? How does it sound with phones? I contacted Schiit and was told to buy 2 "Y" connectors to channel my sources ( turntable ) , but if the way you described works I will check that out before purchasing additional connectors.
Thanks for the help.

Bakerman
I love my Valhalla 2 with headphones....grados and Audio Technica's. I use 1st outputs on Saga to my Valhalla 2 (preamp for my amp and/or for headphones. 2nd out to my Vali 2, headphones only. 1st input is Sony Bluray Sacd player, 2nd input is OPPO player, 3 input is turntable (mani of course, in lowest gains setting), 4th input is for my tape deck, 5th is open ! I hope this helps ! I don't aways leave my Valhalla 2 wide open but do leave it wide open when I need too (low recording/quiet levels).

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #56 of 191
I love my Valhalla 2 with headphones....grados and Audio Technica's. I use 1st outputs on Saga to my Valhalla 2 (preamp for my amp and/or for headphones. 2nd out to my Vali 2, headphones only. 1st input is Sony Bluray Sacd player, 2nd input is OPPO player, 3 input is turntable (mani of course, in lowest gains setting), 4th input is for my tape deck, 5th is open ! I hope this helps ! I don't aways leave my Valhalla 2 wide open but do leave it wide open when I need too (low recording/quiet levels).

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #58 of 191
Is there a mistake on the Schiit website about the "Outputs"? On the website under 'specs' it states there are "2 RCA pairs, selectable from the front or remote". However, the manual does not concur nor do the pictures. So, are the outputs selectable?

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #59 of 191
Is there a mistake on the Schiit website about the "Outputs"? On the website under 'specs' it states there are "2 RCA pairs, selectable from the front or remote". However, the manual does not concur nor do the pictures. So, are the outputs selectable?

Yah ... Schiit doesn't have the best proofers in the business ... I've found quite a few mistakes in their manuals and on their website.

The 2 pairs of RCA outputs are not selectable. They both output the same signal and are both variable volume controlled. They may have meant the tube buffer and passive mode are selectable via the front or remote. Or they just copied and pasted from the input description and didn't bother to proof. :laughing::face_palm:

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #60 of 191
Just got a Saga in order to add a sub to a Dangerous Convert-2 dac (with a pair of Geithain RL906 active speakers) - the Convert only has one stereo pair of analog outs. Unfortunately adding the Saga majorly degrades the resolution through the Geithains. The only positive I've found so far is in some pop music - the sound is more mid-rangey so the vocals become more prominent in a pleasant way. Plus the reduction in detail means music is easier to listen to as my brain has less to process, albeit everything sounds far less natural. Pity I mostly go for lifelike sound and only listen to a minority of pop. Still, not a total waste of money, and as they say, "nothing ventured ...".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back