Schiit's Saga Preamp Impressions
Feb 25, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #92 of 191
I'm not fully up-to-speed when it comes to preamps so I was wondering if anyone could clear me up. For starters, when you feed a signal from a preamp such as the Saga into, say a Jotunheim, wouldn't you be duplicating the preamping (Saga and again via Jotunheim)? This thought occurred to me when I decided to experiment by connecting my Vali 2 as a preamp into my Jotunheim.

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #94 of 191
I run my saga into my valhalla and into an integrated amp with no problems. Running into a jotumhiem would give no problem at all. Gain on a saga is basically nil in both modes. It's basically an input selector with a tube buffer built in.

So I could use my Vail 2 as a pre amp then. I still don't quite understand if that would be double preamping though and what affect it has on the overall sound.

Feb 26, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #95 of 191
So I could use my Vail 2 as a pre amp then. I still don't quite understand if that would be double preamping though and what affect it has on the overall sound.
I also my saga as a preamp (in passive mode) into a headphone amp (Lyr2) because it has multiple inputs and remote switching and volume. (One Saga output goes to Lyr2 and the other to Saga) Using a vali2 into a jotunheim wouldn’t really gain you anything though.

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #96 of 191
My only problem with the saga is that the volume gets lowered than going directly to amp. I thought pre-amp is supposed to pre-amplify? Otherwise, it is merely a volume control for my power amp/speaker.

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #97 of 191
I also my saga as a preamp (in passive mode) into a headphone amp (Lyr2) because it has multiple inputs and remote switching and volume. (One Saga output goes to Lyr2 and the other to Saga) Using a vali2 into a jotunheim wouldn’t really gain you anything though.

My primary objective is hear how a separate preamp improves/changes the slightly bright integrated Jotunheim. Using the Vali 2 as a preamp I have noticed that my system has a slight increase in the bottom end and less edgy high frequency. Tube selection helps too.

What I really want to know is how the sound of the Jotunheim changes with the introduction of a Saga. I wonder if it 's much better than the Vali 2?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #98 of 191
My primary objective is hear how a separate preamp improves/changes the slightly bright integrated Jotunheim. Using the Vali 2 as a preamp I have noticed that my system has a slight increase in the bottom end and less edgy high frequency. Tube selection helps too.

What I really want to know is how the sound of the Jotunheim changes with the introduction of a Saga. I wonder if it 's much better than the Vali 2?
maybe blasphemy, but you could try an eq. I'm not actually using the tube buffer in Saga right now, just the passive mode, so I'd guess that wouldn't do anything vs feeding my HP amp directly. Mainly I wanted a combined system that I could leave on all the time if necessary and not worry about using up tube life. So I have the LISST on the Lyr2 and no tube in the Saga (Plus that way I can make the Bifrost/Saga/Lyr stack on one small shelf)

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #100 of 191
Truthfully I run my Saga into my Valhalla2 into my tube integrated amp. A whole Lotta tubes going on....and I love it. I have tried running my saga into a solidstate class a amp. So the tube buffer is very subtle with more tube gear ,with solidstate it is plain old subtle, more noticeable. Tube buffer won't make you say wow just know that.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #101 of 191
Truthfully I run my Saga into my Valhalla2 into my tube integrated amp. A whole Lotta tubes going on....and I love it. I have tried running my saga into a solidstate class a amp. So the tube buffer is very subtle with more tube gear ,with solidstate it is plain old subtle, more noticeable. Tube buffer won't make you say wow just know that.
I have also run the Saga through the Lyr2 and then into Vidar to use the gain from the Lyr2. Haven't compared with and without tubes though. Listened to the Saga a bit with stock tube buffer vs passive, and couldn't detect any major difference. More noticeable on Lyr2 with LISST vs Stock tube.

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #103 of 191
Stock tube for Saga is useless. I notice differences with better tubes for Saga more.

The stock tube makes odd swishing noises frequently, even when tube output is not selected. If I remove the tube, the noise vanishes. I’ve ordered a Tung Sol, and I hope that fixes the problem.
Other than that, I’m delighted with Saga.

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #104 of 191
The stock tube makes odd swishing noises frequently, even when tube output is not selected. If I remove the tube, the noise vanishes. I’ve ordered a Tung Sol, and I hope that fixes the problem.
Other than that, I’m delighted with Saga.
I would try another tube, hopefully it fixes problem.....if not perhaps time email schiit for tech support.

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #105 of 191
Yes, I’m hoping the new valve cures the problem, and hopefully give an improved sound too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back