Schiit Yggdrasil Vs PS Audio Directstream Junior
Aug 19, 2018 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Roy724

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide between the Schiit Yggdrasil or the PS Audio Directstream Junior. All that I am concerned with is the sound quality, not the features such as dsd or upgradability and such. I only listen to PCM. My primary interests are the best detail retrieval, best instrument separation, most realistic sounding instrument reproduction and the best ability to replicate the sound of the room the music was recorded in such as the harmonics of Carnegie Hall. Specifically when it comes to detail, I want to hear everything down to the movement of a performers cloths or pinpoint the creak of a specific chair in the orchestra. Which of these two dacs does all of this the best? Also, if the Directstream Junior sounds better is it enough to justify the large price difference between the two? I'd like to hear replies from people who have listened to both dacs or maybe owned both. I've thoroughly searched Google and only found 3 comparisons between these dacs and all 3 people said the Yggdrasil sounds best. However, I'd like to hear more opinions because the Directstream Junior seems to have more advanced technology and I do like the upgradability of its firmware. Yet, as I said, my main concern is sound quality.

Aug 19, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 2
If I were you I'd ask this question on Computer Audiophile as well. The DS Jr. can be had on the used market for really good prices and check out Upscale Audio for steep discounts on new DS jrs too.
https://www.computeraudiophile.com
Guessing by what you've described, I'd go with the PS audio unit FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back