Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 7, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #12,091 of 12,283
I'm using the Red with phenomenal results. I do USB from PC to the Holo Red and then AES/Coax. Have yet to use the streamer aspect of the Red.
Many in the thread have reported different SQ with AES/coax into Yggy vs Unison ISB. Your impression?

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #12,092 of 12,283
The LIM and MIB both use the default TI op-amp output stage.

Jason addressed this in his blog thread. The TI chips require significantly more output components in his current topology which wouldn't fit on the analog output card. IIRC, it was 8x more output devices.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #12,095 of 12,283
It probably varies based on the quality of the USB or AES outputs on your source as well. That being said, after extensive A/Bing on my setup, I preferred AES as well but like everything at this level, it was a very small difference.

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #12,096 of 12,283
Many in the thread have reported different SQ with AES/coax into Yggy vs Unison ISB. Your impression?
I like the red better. Non scientific comparisons were done :)

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #12,097 of 12,283
I just skip the whole Unison issue and just used Coax. It can handle higher bitrate and has great sound quality just from my own A/Bing . I rank it Coax> USB> spdif.

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #12,098 of 12,283
I just skip the whole Unison issue and just used Coax. It can handle higher bitrate and has great sound quality just from my own A/Bing . I rank it Coax> USB> spdif.
Ok… but the consensus of many others is that Unison is superior. I tried them all and I agree, it is cleaner like a veil being removed.

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #12,100 of 12,283
For me, I prefer certain devices on certain inputs. For example, my CD player is by far best via coax. When it comes to streamers... Red sounds best via USB but Pi2AES via AES has better bass impact. <shrug> "best" is likely highly dependent on your system.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #12,101 of 12,283
I use a streamer to Yggy instead of from my iPhone or other devices. So for the streamer coax gave consistently better sound. The streamer allows me to wirelessly control music and EQ from my iPad. If I had used iPhone and such it may be better with unison but that’s a pain to use.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #12,102 of 12,283
Unison sounds equally good as SPDIF to me. Only through USB Unison that I get to experience Dolby Atmos Headphones through the MIB and out of my Susvara which sounds better than most HT systems out there (minus the chest thump and bass shaker) when watching Netflix. Just watched Baby Driver on Netflix and was head-bobbing like mad on how good MIB renders that Dolby Atmos decoded track with Dolby Headphone :)

1712537271772.png

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #12,104 of 12,283
Ok… but the consensus of many others is that Unison is superior. I tried them all and I agree, it is cleaner like a veil being removed.
What are you using as a source to feed coax? This does not mirror my experience, as I think Unison adds a flavor as opposed to removes any veil. To each their own however.

*edit* did some comparisons this morning, pretty big preference for AES from the Red for me. No clue why, just may be my jam! Do I recommend going and buying a Red if you enjoy Unison? No.. but if you've got a good transport, definitely give it a whirl.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #12,105 of 12,283
What are you using as a source to feed coax? This does not mirror my experience, as I think Unison adds a flavor as opposed to removes any veil. To each their own however.

*edit* did some comparisons this morning, pretty big preference for AES from the Red for me. No clue why, just may be my jam! Do I recommend going and buying a Red if you enjoy Unison? No.. but if you've got a good transport, definitely give it a whirl.

My digital sources? Schiit Urd (with Unison in, Unison out, SPDIF/out, AES/EBU out) or WiiM Pro (SPDIF/coax out).

SPDIF/coax is good but Unison is better, for my ears. Unison repackages the data with its own precise clock, controlling jitter better. All other inputs have to deal with the stream clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back