Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #11,942 of 12,484
I'm teasing, of course, but was a bit confused when I first heard the term.

When I snag Yggy GS2 I am calling it OG ; I bettuh not hear no schiit from any schiitheads with a NEWER DAC than mine :gs1000smile:

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #11,943 of 12,484
Because Schiit like really confusing nomenclature for their gear?

Because OG doesn’t mean original Yggy.

OG only started when flavors arrived. Before the flavors there was A1 and A2. Therefore AD based Yggy are OG and TI are MIL, MIB, and LIM.

Not confusing really.

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #11,944 of 12,484
Need a Yggy version recommendation (both ones currently for sale, or second-hand ones, like the A2/OG, work)

I primarily listen to orchestral soundtrack by John Williams.

My chain:
Source: Apple Music via an iPad (USB)
Amp: MJ3
HP: HE1000se and Arya v2

Which Yggy version will synergize well with my setup?

TIA!
Your MJ3 is rather powerful. It won’t do well with anything less than an Yggy GS2.

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #11,945 of 12,484
I have only used the Tyrs to drive speakers and only used the Mjolnir 3 with headphones, so I can't really make any sort of a comparison there. I know people do it, but I'm not really sure why you would need to use dual mono Tyrs to drive headphones, short of something crazy like directly driving ribbon headphones. I'm using the Tyrs to drive relatively low sensitivity speakers with the Ascend LX's (though they are high passed with subs) and they sound awesome and get LOUD effortlessly. I've only used the Mjolnir 3 so far to drive HD650 and HD800S (both high impedance loads), though both of them sound as good as I've heard them out of any amp. I guess the closest thing I can make to a comparison is to say that both the Tyrs and the Mjolnir 3 have left me wanting for nothing in terms of amplification.
Yes. I know it’s crazy. So is paying $9k for a Feliks Audio Envy to drive the Susvaras, or $15k for a Hifiman EF1000. Over on tbe Susvara thread these are everyday investments. The common understanding is that a speaker amp can drive the Susvaras to their best, or else a very expensive tube or headphone amp (the speaker amps are cheaper, if more risky to use). Some think MJ3 is doing all that is needed for the Susvaras, others not. The Mj3 and Tyr share some of Schiits recent innovations eg choke input.

here Is a link to a person using Tyr for a number of good headphones, see “Christos” about 1/3 way down the page - here on Head-Fi his handle is @cangle. Btw I don’t post on that forum (SBAF) it’s pretty exclusive and the posters are pretty critical - it’s not as “open to any comment” as Head-fi (just saying- good source for information, not so much for asking simple questions)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #11,947 of 12,484
Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #11,948 of 12,484
Yes. I know it’s crazy. So is paying $9k for a Feliks Audio Envy to drive the Susvaras, or $15k for a Hifiman EF1000. Over on tbe Susvara thread these are everyday investments. The common understanding is that a speaker amp can drive the Susvaras to their best, or else a very expensive tube or headphone amp (the speaker amps are cheaper, if more risky to use). Some think MJ3 is doing all that is needed for the Susvaras, others not. The Mj3 and Tyr share some of Schiits recent innovations eg choke input).

here Is a link to a person using Tyr for a number of good headphones, see “Christos” about 1/3 way down the page. Btw I don’t post on that forum (SBAF) it’s pretty exclusive and the posters are pretty critical - it’s not Head-fi (just saying- good source for information, not so much for asking simple questions)
A pair of Tyrs for headphones is delicious insanity

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #11,949 of 12,484
Well-
I tried to join the OG Yggy Gang, but, I couldnt get enough money together to get one with Unison and in Silver so I was already slummin'- then I found a used Unison equipped Silver Gungnir MB for $750 and said to hell with waiting.

So I'm Gumby Gang, y'all.
Still rather excited.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #11,950 of 12,484
Well-
I tried to join the OG Yggy Gang, but, I couldnt get enough money together to get one with Unison and in Silver so I was already slummin'- then I found a used Unison equipped Silver Gungnir MB for $750 and said to hell with waiting.

Still rather excited.
Actually you may be in an interesting position to A/B review the one you have compared to the new ‘singularity’ Gumby that Jason is supposed to release in the summer- if/maybe we could talk him into sending you a review unit!

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #11,951 of 12,484
Actually you may be in an interesting position to A/B review the one you have compared to the new ‘singularity’ Gumby that Jason is supposed to release in the summer- if/maybe we could talk him into sending you a review unit!
Yes! I'm in. I'll write a smashing comparison.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #11,952 of 12,484
then I found a used Unison equipped Silver Gungnir MB for $750 and said to hell with waiting.

Still rather excited.
So am I, and while I might get tempted to spring for an Yggy GS2 come summer, I have been SO happy with my Gumby.

Doesn’t matter if it’s headphones or speakers, sounds amazing nonetheless.

That said, the limited supply of DAC chips for the GS2 and a decent price will keep bothering me…

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #11,953 of 12,484
So am I, and while I might get tempted to spring for an Yggy GS2 come summer, I have been SO happy with my Gumby.

Doesn’t matter if it’s headphones or speakers, sounds amazing nonetheless.

That said, the limited supply of DAC chips for the GS2 and a decent price will keep bothering me…
THAT is why when I found a Gumby I snagged it. Ive been stressing and trying to save everything I can in a Yggy GS2 hunt before they are gone- made more urgent by Gumby's being gone and Gumby2 being D/S...
I found myself stressing hard about that used Gumby and couldnt resist.
It has ended the madness for now though; put a few bucks back in my pocket too. I know it'll be good for awhile to me.
One Day I will still get a Yggy though, one way or another. But that is for another day. Maybe when @MikeMoffatt decides to actually make a true 24-bit dac
(hehehehehe)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #11,954 of 12,484
Enjoying my Yggy OG+ with some Dire Straits, You and Your Friend this evening. Enjoy the music.

Yggy+OG with risers.jpg

Mar 8, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #11,955 of 12,484
Enjoying my Yggy OG+ with some Dire Straits, You and Your Friend this evening. Enjoy the music.

Yggy+OG with risers.jpg

Quite the stack! Another piece of Schiit gear on top that is no longer available and is glorious. When they were around I was less willing/able than now to invest in a Folkvanger. Hope your stack is satisfying you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back