Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 16, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #11,881 of 12,304
Nice rack. :)

Somewhat off-topic, but what do you think of Zu speaks, especially matched with the Yggy and Schiit gear?

They've piqued my interest for years now.
I find them to be very special. Owned Martin Logan ESLs previously (as well as various other speakers). They were less than $2,000 with the clarity cap upgrade. Aside from being absolutely beautiful, I think they sound amazing and are one of the best values in Hi Fi. Highly recommended.

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #11,882 of 12,304
Funny thing about the MIB cards being available is that you can now purchase a Yggy+ GS2 AND the MIB upgrade cards for $150 less than the Yggy+ MIB ...
Yggy+ MIB = $2699 (Unison USB std) one and done.

Yggy+ GS2 plus MIB upgrade cards = $1699 + $850 = $2549.
Pros: $150 cheaper, allows one to have latest MIB analog cards plus a backup set (A1) of cards;
GS2 allows for lower cost of entry into Yggy ecosystem (and if one is happy with the A1 cards in their system, then even better cost/performance ratio);

Cons: shorter factory warranty 3 vs 5 yrs, and per prior (ninja'd) posts, user needs to open up the unit to "self-install" the MIB boards, also base GS2 is Gen 5 and not Unison USB (which might be turn out to be a good thing if one waits until the next-gen USB interface that uses the expansion i/o rear panel of Yggy+ is released)

Sales of GS2 might be increasing now that OG (A2) is no longer available...

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #11,883 of 12,304
Really enjoying SACDs converted to PCM 88.2kHz from the Arcam through the GS2. Have gone back and forth between the internal DAC and the GS2. I keep returning to the GS2. The Analog Productions Pink Floyd discs are very special (although I don't think it will ever make me enjoy Animals). I'm sure I will exceed the $850 upgrade cost for the MIB on my SACD/CD collection very shortly with no regrets.

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #11,885 of 12,304
Anyone use a Yggy as their primary DAC/output source from a PC for all audio (music and general gaming/pc use)? Was thinking of running one from USB out and to a V281 and a pair of powered monitors. My only concern is I’m unclear if the relay mute (click) would be triggered between any and all audio sounds or if I set the bitrate out to the highest I run even my music, it should stay locked at one rate. Between running apps with sound will it continue to click each time something new starts or only if the bitrate changes?

Sorry if this has been asked, I couldn’t find that scenario while searching the thread.
It only clicks if the bitrate changes, and output is briefly muted so no pops to your speakers/headphones.

Feb 22, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #11,886 of 12,304
It only clicks if the bitrate changes, and output is briefly muted so no pops to your speakers/headphones.
Thanks, should be quiet on the desk then. Just didn’t want it clicking on and off between songs and audio 🙃
Now if only someone would let go of their Yggy+ OG in black. 🤞

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #11,887 of 12,304
Thanks, should be quiet on the desk then. Just didn’t want it clicking on and off between songs and audio 🙃
Now if only someone would let go of their Yggy+ OG in black. 🤞
Not that I would ever part with my OG, but it interests me that you would consider to buy one in the secondary market given that the 5- year warranty is not transferrablr. Not that I’ve ever had any trouble with mine at at all not ever heard that someone did.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #11,888 of 12,304
I came into the possession of the an OG A2 Yggdrasil yesterday. Today, I hooked it up to my Silver Fox and the pairing is fantastic. Having the Chord Dave as my only DAC for the past 4 years, I'm finding the Yggy to be very competitive from a sound and performance standpoint. It has many traits that I like about my Dave. The Yggy is detailed, speedy, with a slight edginess to notes that I like. It's not as fast and snappy as Dave, but it's not far behind either. The Yggy's sound is very three dimensional with great depth to its sound. This may be my favorite aspect of this DAC and where I think it differs the most from my Dave.

There is no muddiness through the midrange, although it's slightly thicker and fuller here than my Dave. The Dave's midrange is more nuanced and neutral in comparison. The Yggy has a slight air to its treble presentation that I'm finding very alluring. So far, I really like what I'm hearing from the Yggy. All the praises I've read about the OG Yggy are warranted. This DAC is a keeper and it's a great alternative sound to my Dave.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #11,889 of 12,304
I came into the possession of the an OG A2 Yggdrasil yesterday. Today, I hooked it up to my Silver Fox and the pairing is fantastic. Having the Chord Dave as my only DAC for the past 4 years, I'm finding the Yggy to be very competitive from a sound and performance standpoint. It has many traits that I like about my Dave. The Yggy is detailed, speedy, with a slight edginess to notes that I like. It's not as fast and snappy as Dave, but it's not far behind either. The Yggy's sound is very three dimensional with great depth to its sound. This may be my favorite aspect of this DAC and where I think it differs the most from my Dave.

There is no muddiness through the midrange, although it's slightly thicker and fuller here than my Dave. The Dave's midrange is more nuanced and neutral in comparison. The Yggy has a slight air to its treble presentation that I'm finding very alluring. So far, I really like what I'm hearing from the Yggy. All the praises I've read about the OG Yggy are warranted. This DAC is a keeper and it's a great alternative sound to my Dave.
That brings me excitement! Have an Yggy+ OG on the way; can’t wait!

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #11,890 of 12,304
Not that I would ever part with my OG, but it interests me that you would consider to buy one in the secondary market given that the 5- year warranty is not transferrablr. Not that I’ve ever had any trouble with mine at at all not ever heard that someone did.
OG is no longer available new sadly.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #11,892 of 12,304
That brings me excitement! Have an Yggy+ OG on the way; can’t wait!
Cherish that OG- it’s a keeper. OTOH I am somewhat tempted by the MIB, at least to compare to OG. If only it were easier to swap them in/out- as a non-electrically trained user with no such persons locally available, that would not be very practical. So… no, sticking with the excellent OG for now.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #11,893 of 12,304
Schiit has one in the Closeout section but in silver
Oh shoot, wonder if I can order the black plate cover for it :scream:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back