Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 17, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #11,791 of 12,283
Yes, I know.
I calculated the price for the black MIB including VAT and delivery and the direct buy from US is about 150 EUR cheaper.
Another point is that the MIB is actually not available on "Schiit Europe".
Does anyone have an inside line re when the MIB cards will be available (for swap into Yggy+ OG chassis etc)?

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #11,792 of 12,283
New Yggy+ GS2 owner checking in! I've had the GS2 powered on and running music for >5 days now. Coming from the BF2/64, I'm noticing a definite improvement in resolution/texture. The difference is not subtle. However I'm feeling like the treble is now a little too intense/fatiguing. I'm also missing a bit of that tonal density/richness that the BF2/64 has, the overall presentation comes off as a bit too "dry"... Both of my amps lean neutral (DSHA-3FN & custom OTL) and am using exclusively with ZMF headphones.

Is there a Yggy variant that is somewhere in between the A1/GS2 and the BF2/64 in terms of the treble presence and tonal density/richness? I'm going to keep burning in the GS2, but I'm wondering if it's worth looking into one of the upgrade cards - and if so, which version? I'd be looking for a bit tamer treble and a "fuller" sound.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #11,793 of 12,283
New Yggy+ GS2 owner checking in! I've had the GS2 powered on and running music for >5 days now. Coming from the BF2/64, I'm noticing a definite improvement in resolution/texture. The difference is not subtle. However I'm feeling like the treble is now a little too intense/fatiguing. I'm also missing a bit of that tonal density/richness that the BF2/64 has, the overall presentation comes off as a bit too "dry"... Both of my amps lean neutral (DSHA-3FN & custom OTL) and am using exclusively with ZMF headphones.

Is there a Yggy variant that is somewhere in between the A1/GS2 and the BF2/64 in terms of the treble presence and tonal density/richness? I'm going to keep burning in the GS2, but I'm wondering if it's worth looking into one of the upgrade cards - and if so, which version? I'd be looking for a bit tamer treble and a "fuller" sound.
I believe both the A2/OG and the LIM will get you where you want to be. A1 was always known to be the brighter/"colder" of the two AD chip yggys.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #11,794 of 12,283

I bought recently the Yggy+ OG. To me it sounds neutral. Your GS should sound similarly in my system, which I know is neutral.

I suspect the sound balance you found is your system amp-headphones signature . My opinion.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #11,795 of 12,283

I think it depends on the rest of your chain. I actually like the way GS2 sounds with the MJ3. What ZMFs are you using with it?

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #11,796 of 12,283
So just to clarify; the Yggy+ GS2 has a cooler overall tonal signature with a brighter treble than other variants? This is interesting as I would prefer that in my system.

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #11,798 of 12,283

Give it time after 1 month but I can suggest OG, LIM or MIB for tamer treble and fuller sound

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #11,799 of 12,283

I have a new GS2 also. I was aware of the long Yggy burn In beforehand, but I was still wondering if I had made a mistake during the first two weeks. At three weeks, I was feeling quite a bit of relief. At four weeks, I’m in love.

Give it some more time. You can always get the newer cards later, but give your GS2 some more time to blossom first.

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #11,800 of 12,283
I believe both the A2/OG and the LIM will get you where you want to be. A1 was always known to be the brighter/"colder" of the two AD chip yggys.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am enjoying the GS2 detail a lot but feel like I wouldn't mind losing some of that to gain more tonal density. I may look out for a LiM card if anyone has one for sale to do some comparisons.
I think it depends on the rest of your chain. I actually like the way GS2 sounds with the MJ3. What ZMFs are you using with it?
I think you're right... I'm using the Atrium Closed and Verite Closed. It's interesting, with the BF2/64 -> DSHA-3FN, my AC was too thick and syrupy and the VC was total perfection. Now, with the GS2 -> DSHA-3FN, the AC sounds much more balanced/more enjoyable (treble is still a little too much) and the VC has become far too lean. So I lost the synergy with one ZMF but gained it (mostly) with another!

Simiarly, I've noticed tube rolls in my OTL that sounded well-balanced are also noticeably leaner, while I'm getting a more balanced sound by rolling in warmer tubes. However even with the warmer tubes, I still feel like I'm missing a bit of that tonal density I loved with the BF2/64.

Give it time after 1 month but I can suggest OG, LIM or MIB for tamer treble and fuller sound
I have a new GS2 also. I was aware of the long Yggy burn In beforehand, but I was still wondering if I had made a mistake during the first two weeks. At three weeks, I was feeling quite a bit of relief. At four weeks, I’m in love.

Give it some more time. You can always get the newer cards later, but give your GS2 some more time to blossom first.
Good to know! I've read about the extended warm up time but figured by day 5 I'd be pretty much there given the used A1 cards in the GS2. I'll take your advice and keep on listening/letting it burn-in for a good while. One of the reasons I pulled the trigger on the Yggy+ GS2 was the upgrade potential. Don't get me wrong - It's not like the GS2 sounds "bad" right now! It's just not to my personal taste of that thicker/denser sound. I'll see how much it changes in the next month first. If it doesn't get to where I want it to be, I'll look into either a LiM/MiB card to see if that's a better fit for my preferences/system synergy.

Is Schiit definitely not selling OG/A2 upgrade cards?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #11,801 of 12,283
Not sure that’s true.
Ok so now I'm really confused lol...

Nick76 said:

...two different people, two different takes.

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #11,802 of 12,283

Hi this was going to be my response as well- keep music going (not just switched on) for about 200 hours - doesn’t have to be outputting that into an amp even. I noticed changes until about a month of burn in, the most in the first 2 weeks. If you are considering to return it, best keep it working the whole audition window. I think by the end you will have a similar experience to @33na3rd. Btw prior LIM users have said that their burnin period is not as long as with the A1 and A2 boards. Buying an OG or GS2 in your case is a bit of a leap of faith, but I think you won’t be disappointed in the end.

If it be end you do decide to upgrade, hang onto that card! I predict they will be a good investment to sell on the secondary market once Schiit is no longer selling the OG. As far as I can see, they don’t sell the A2 cards separately, just LIM at the minute (MIB should be available soon).

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #11,803 of 12,283
Does anyone have any comparisons of using the AES vs Unison USB? My Gustard U12 died and I'm wondering if I should replace it or just upgrade to Unison. OG A1. I never sent it in to replace the bad BNC and then the USB socket somehow got pushed into the unit. AES input was heavenly and that Gustard DDC had worked flawlessly since 2016, Oh well. I _could_ go with a chassis upgrade too but 500 bucks is nothing to sneeze at which for my use case would be just looks, lol.

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #11,804 of 12,283
Ok so now I'm really confused lol...

Nick76 said:

...two different people, two different takes.
Idk, I'm just parroting what I've heard from plently of people, from different places on the internet. Scavenged far and wide for people that have tried more than one card, and that was shared conclusion of a lot of different listeners. General consensus was that A2/OG was thicker/warmer.

I myself, have only heard the A1 and do notice the same as the above user when compared with the 2/64, but I am treble tolerant and enjoy the change.

But even then, its still a Yggy, natural sounding and makes all music a dream for me. Way better than any other DAC I've tried.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #11,805 of 12,283
Does anyone have any comparisons of using the AES vs Unison USB? My Gustard U12 died and I'm wondering if I should replace it or just upgrade to Unison. OG A1. I never sent it in to replace the bad BNC and then the USB socket somehow got pushed into the unit. AES input was heavenly and that Gustard DDC had worked flawlessly since 2016, Oh well. I _could_ go with a chassis upgrade too but 500 bucks is nothing to sneeze at which for my use case would be just looks, lol.
For me, delivering AIFF files from my modded Mac Mini, Dante (Ethernet - AES) is more transparent than Unison USB. Keep in mind that it’s not just which Yggy input you’re using. File delivery includes the sending component, the cabling, and the receiver. Sounds like you have been real happy with your Gustard - AES.

Having said that, I find Unison to be a huge improvement over Schiit’s previous USB implementations. Plus, it’s easy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back