Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 10, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #11,732 of 12,283
I apologize if this has been answered before, but has anyone heard if Schiit plans to release MIB upgrade boards? I currently have an LIM Yggy+ and was curious.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #11,733 of 12,283
I apologize if this has been answered before, but has anyone heard if Schiit plans to release MIB upgrade boards? I currently have an LIM Yggy+ and was curious.
I believe I have read the boards should be available some time this month at a cost of $800. I was under the impression though the MIB board would only be available for the earlier model MIB. For those that may know more, is the MIB upgrade boards interchangeable with Yggy+ LIM and Yggy+ OG. I am still undecided on the Yggy + OG or Yggy + MIB, my current DAC is the latest Bifrost 2/64 (purchased new in September of 2022).

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #11,734 of 12,283
Eventually, yes. The Jason from November 2023 estimated sometime in December, but he is notorious for jinxing release dates by giving an approximate date ... so patience is a virtue with this kind of thing.
As to price I believe he said it would be $800, but I'm unable to find that quote at the moment (may have been from a livestream?)

There's a lot of love for the LIM, so it'll be interesting to hear comparisons from those who have both (or both cards) on hand to give some impressions.
I recently picked up a GS2 for my headphone setup and am loving it so far!
I'll likely pickup the MIB boards once released as well and am hopeful that the new Yggy+ chassis design makes self-swapping boards a relatively straight forward task.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #11,735 of 12,283
Thanks for the info. $800 is a bit steep for just the card, it would have to be a significant upgrade over the LIM if that’s the case.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #11,736 of 12,283
For all the angst I’m seeing here over the different flavors, I say relax and buy one! These flavors aren’t radically different dacs. You can’t buy the “wrong” one.

My Yggy history is Yggy A in 2015, Yggy B in 2018. Despite having ears on lots of great dacs (Chord, Denafrips, Holo, etc.) at meets and with friends, I’ve had no desire to move on. And I see the GS at $1699 ($1799 Unison if you’re using USB) as a staggering bargain!

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #11,737 of 12,283
For all the angst I’m seeing here over the different flavors, I say relax and buy one! These flavors aren’t radically different dacs. You can’t buy the “wrong” one.

My Yggy history is Yggy A in 2015, Yggy B in 2018. Despite having ears on lots of great dacs (Chord, Denafrips, Holo, etc.) at meets and with friends, I’ve had no desire to move on. And I see the GS at $1699 ($1799 Unison if you’re using USB) as a staggering bargain!

Great point. And you can swap boards down the road if you want.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #11,738 of 12,283
What is involved in a board swap beyond changing the physical board? My only experience is going from Bifrost 2 OG to 2/64 and the firmware flash was straightforward.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #11,739 of 12,283
What is involved in a board swap beyond changing the physical board? My only experience is going from Bifrost 2 OG to 2/64 and the firmware flash was straightforward.
Involves removing screws & top cover disconnecting ribbon header to front panel, etc. Analog boards connect to motherboard with pin headers, secured with screws. Double-check alignment of pins. Use ESD anti-static strap, etc. There might also be an 8-pin firmware DIP chip to swap as well.???

Similar skill set to assembling a PC from a pile of parts without instructions. No soldering needed.

Shows full build of the original (non +) chassis that involved a lot more screws. Yggy+ chassis top secures with blind pems on top and 4 screws on the underside of the unit.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #11,740 of 12,283
I usually read whole threads when interested in a device. The story about this DAC just goes on for too long so I just give it s try...
To experienced Yggy users primarily:
How has the Yggy been holding up in comparison to R2R Dacs appearing over the last years?
T+, May kte, Pasithea or RH7-MK3/RH8...

read torqs story years ago but since shiit.eu never has stock I kinda lost interest and contemplating getting a new DAC...
Thanks

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #11,741 of 12,283
I usually read whole threads when interested in a device. The story about this DAC just goes on for too long so I just give it s try...
How has the Yggy been holding up in comparison to R2R Dacs appearing over the last years?

read torqs story years ago but since shiit.eu never has stock I kinda lost interest and contemplating getting a new DAC...
Thanks
From where will you order and to where will it be shipped?

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #11,742 of 12,283

Thanks
It holds up well. Especially with the new “flavors”.

The transition to TI based chips is due to AD chips being unobtainium.

If anything, true resistor ladder DACs are catching up with multibit DACs like the Yggdrasil.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #11,743 of 12,283
From where will you order and to where will it be shipped?
there is a used 5 months, for 2.3k €... right here in eu
I want to wait till golden puts his collab-dac with ferrum+hq player guy out...
but tempted by mint OG+

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #11,744 of 12,283
Jan 11, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #11,745 of 12,283
there is a used 5 months, for 2.3k €... right here in eu
I want to wait till golden puts his collab-dac with ferrum+hq player guy out...
but tempted by mint OG+
I’d say do it. You can always change to a different board later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back