Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 28, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #11,686 of 12,283
Congratulations- what amp will you use with the OG? I’ve been using Burson 3XGT 2023 with SP02 power modules. Agree that it’s addicting- imaging / staging, treble ‘sparkle’ and impactful bass. Enjoy!
A Mogwai SE rev2! Ya the OG is a truly special DAC. I know everyone raves about Chord but I’m always a fan of buying local when I can for high end equipment.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #11,688 of 12,283
For those who own both the GS/GS2 and other flavors of Yggy...is it me or is there something unique and special about the imaging and separation of the GS/GS2? And what might be perceived as very slightly less "detail" than other flavors, to my ear, is actually instruments being better separated and further away in space in a deep soundstage (so the detail is there, but not pushed up to your face). I also really like what I'm hearing in the bass.

I also feel like GS2 is in-between MIB (a bit more laid back) and OG/A2 (very dynamic) in terms of dynamics, perhaps closer to MIB, and perhaps slightly less gray than OG/A2.

These are just some initial impressions as I warm up the GS2. I'm listening with Mjolnir 3, Susvara, and DCA Expanse so far, though I'm very interested to get my HD800S out given what I'm hearing.

Aside from Marv's notes and chart which I've read from the other forum, does anyone else own both the GS/GS2 and another Yggy flavor and have any impressions to share?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #11,689 of 12,283
For those who own both the GS/GS2 and other flavors of Yggy...is it me or is there something unique and special about the imaging and separation of the GS/GS2? And what might be perceived as very slightly less "detail" than other flavors, to my ear, is actually instruments being better separated and further away in space in a deep soundstage (so the detail is there, but not pushed up to your face). I also really like what I'm hearing in the bass.

I also feel like GS2 is in-between MIB (a bit more laid back) and OG/A2 (very dynamic) in terms of dynamics, perhaps closer to MIB, and perhaps slightly less gray than OG/A2.

These are just some initial impressions as I warm up the GS2. I'm listening with Mjolnir 3, Susvara, and DCA Expanse so far, though I'm very interested to get my HD800S out given what I'm hearing.

Aside from Marv's notes and chart which I've read from the other forum, does anyone else own both the GS/GS2 and another Yggy flavor and have any impressions to share?
I’d like to hear your opinion GS vs OG on the MJ3? How much dynamics are lost between the two? I heard the OG and love how that sounds with MJ3.

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #11,691 of 12,283
Is anyone using an upgraded power cable with Yggy OG?

If yes, is there a tangible SQ improvement?
I use relatively inexpensive, no-woo 14 AWG double-shielded power cables from StayOnline because they can't hurt and might help (and I have a big pile of Schiit with lots of interconnects near power cables etc.), though I can't tell you they sound any different.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #11,692 of 12,283

Nope. I only use an upgraded power cable that’s meant for high current applications for my headphone tube amp for better current delivery

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #11,693 of 12,283
Using the stock cable with mine.
I did hook it up to a true sine wave conditioner/UPS. Mostly due to the fact that I live in the sticks and power fluctuates and blinks a lot out here.

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #11,695 of 12,283

I have tried a few things -- not aiming for sonics -- but like the Monoprice "hospital-grade" (whatever that means for audio - resistance to blood, vomit, and cleaning fluids...) power cords.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33671

They look good, are solid and inexpensive.

1703981776763.png

I have used some other products, but mainly as acknowledged audio jewelry.

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #11,696 of 12,283

In recent years on everything I’ve used the older Audioquest power cables, with solid core LGC copper, ferrite ring, and good quality connectors, in 12 or 14 guage depending on component. I have two dedicated 12/2 Romac runs in this room for the hi-fi. Trying to keep things basic. When I’ve fiddled with others, such as Shunyata, PS Audio, etc., I’ve ended up down side-grade rabbit holes saying “…well, perhaps such and such sounds different, but I don’t know which is better…” and having less fun listening to music. 🥴

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #11,697 of 12,283
I’m waiting until somebody upgrades the electrons first, then I might spring for a new power cable if it is certified to stomp the old technology.
/S

Well built gear is all you need unless you have serious line issues. Old bathroom fans and some household items can be really dirty, but in that case get a power regeneration box instead of a cable, or do some upgrades if possible. I am not in favor of spending hundreds of dollars to move power from romex wires to my gear, that is counter intuitive. FWIW, after I upgraded/replaced old appliances I cannot find a difference when I use PSAudio P5 or not. Time to sell some gear!

OTOH, if you have cash to spare and are curious, it can't hurt so go for it! Make sure it is returnable though. You might want to buy some music instead!

Cheers,
/Waffle

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #11,698 of 12,283
I’m pretty sure the ultimate Yggy that is in the works would have MIB chip with Jason’s discrete circuit.
Bit late, but has this actually been confirmed or mentioned somewhere? I remember being so excited for the Yggy A3 a couple years ago, until (I thought) I read that the many flavors replaced a definitive “upgrade”. I’d love to be wrong though!

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #11,699 of 12,283
Bit late, but has this actually been confirmed or mentioned somewhere? I remember being so excited for the Yggy A3 a couple years ago, until (I thought) I read that the many flavors replaced a definitive “upgrade”. I’d love to be wrong though!

Yep. An easy search on the other forum and you should see it being evaluated there as part of listening impressions. It's going to be called "Less is Better" where I believe it's a discrete analog stage from the LIM / BF2/64 DAC chip

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #11,700 of 12,283
Anyone else confused by the Yggdrasil lineup? I understand the idea of the "thunderdome" but from a consumers POV, particularly one not in America, it makes buying one a risky/confusing venture.

Y+ LIM: Cheaper version. softer sound?
Y+ OG: Expensive version. original sound (whatever that means)?
Y+ MIB: Best measuring. Laid back? Warm?
Y+ GS2: Cheapest version. Umm same as OG but with the original original analog output stage? No idea.

Personally I wish Schiit would just make the best sounding DAC they can, call it a Yggdrasil2, job done. Now it's easy to buy, easy to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back