Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 3, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #10,261 of 12,304
There has been much debate over Yggy's balanced and single-ended outputs, with some owners hearing huge differences and others hearing no difference at all. I fall between these two extremes and find that, in my system, both sound excellent, but balanced offers that little bit more body/solidity, impact, and punch. I went further and actually measured the frequency response of the two outputs to see if I this would explain some of what I was hearing, and I think it does, because in my system, the single-ended outputs produce approx -0.4dB less output below 80Hz than the balanced outputs.

Regarding XLR to SE, I haven't tried it but it has been reported by other users that transformers such as the Jensen IsoMax are the least sonically harmful way to convert Yggy's balanced output to single-ended, if you can afford 'em.

I agree, based on my experience using the Jensen Isomax. The caveat is that this requires using an extra cable in the signal path, and this does degrade the sound a little. This is the short balanced cable from the Yggy's balanced outputs to the Isomax transformer's balanced inputs. The quality of this cable is critical. I'm probably not using the very best for this interface, but the 0.5m Pangea Audio Premier works very well.

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #10,262 of 12,304
I found the USB on the PWD to not be very good, until I started using a Schiit Wyrd (or 2) which greatly helped, and before that the bridge was 'better', sort of.
But the original Jggy (even the 1st generation) was 'better' and the JggyB's latest iteration just widens the gap.

JJ

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #10,263 of 12,304
How would you rate the USB performance for sonics?

I was using a Bel Canto Reference Link reclocking the USB to AES to the Yggdrasil, because the Gen 5 USB didn’t sound all that great.. I then installed the Unison USB interface, I no longer use the BC reference link ! the unison USB is Fabulous! Wow! For $150 and 20 minutes to install... It’s an Amazing LARGE upgrade to the Yggdrasil..

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #10,264 of 12,304
Yes, I would go with the balanced out of the Yggy as the Yggy will sum the balanced outputs to SE, according to Schiit, some of the magic will be lost in the summing.
You will also get more voltage, 4v from the balanced outs. I tried the balanced out into a passive TVC and it had lots of drive for passive volume vs the SE output level..
There has been much debate over Yggy's balanced and single-ended outputs, with some owners hearing huge differences and others hearing no difference at all. I fall between these two extremes and find that, in my system, both sound excellent, but balanced offers that little bit more body/solidity, impact, and punch. I went further and actually measured the frequency response of the two outputs to see if I this would explain some of what I was hearing, and I think it does, because in my system, the single-ended outputs produce approx -0.4dB less output below 80Hz than the balanced outputs.

Regarding XLR to SE, I haven't tried it but it has been reported by other users that transformers such as the Jensen IsoMax are the least sonically harmful way to convert Yggy's balanced output to single-ended, if you can afford 'em.
I agree, based on my experience using the Jensen Isomax. The caveat is that this requires using an extra cable in the signal path, and this does degrade the sound a little. This is the short balanced cable from the Yggy's balanced outputs to the Isomax transformer's balanced inputs. The quality of this cable is critical. I'm probably not using the very best for this interface, but the 0.5m Pangea Audio Premier works very well.
I'm looking to feed the signal to a speaker amp. I just realized this, and since Yggy doesn't have an integrated pre-amp. I will need a pre-amp in between, and I wonder if there will be an issue with my pre-amp going from XLR to RCA with a simple cable.

Edit: I just got off the phone with Bryston, and was told that if the source of balanced output isn't transformer output coupled, only one signal pin and ground pin should be used, and the other signal pin floating. Other pin configuration is for transformer coupled in the path with signal and ground pin shorted, and the other signal pin used, which is the one you don't want (if going balanced XLR to rca SE) if no transformer in the path and cause problems.

Basically, you want to make sure only one of the balanced signal is used and the other not connected.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #10,266 of 12,304
Does the new unison usb input benefit from a iso region, or sotm usb-tx ultra or even a computer with a LPS or does the unison male all that obsolete?
In my experience, Unison USB is very good with a lowish-noise inexpensive USB source, beating some much more expensive AES sources. However, different combinations of source and connection method can still sound a bit different. I'd not worry too much and start with straight Unison USB unless you had good reasons to believe your USB source is electrically very noisy. In which case, rather than going on an endlessly expensive chase of more USB purification, I'd get a Pi 4+Pi2AES DIY streamer combo connected with AES to the DAC (I have a couple of those and they are competitive with Unison USB from a good USB source).

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #10,267 of 12,304
Does the new unison usb input benefit from a iso region, or sotm usb-tx ultra or even a computer with a LPS or does the unison male all that obsolete?

I think USB sound quality has a long way to go beyond what is achieved by the Unison upgrade (though that is certainly great). The reason I say that is that I've gotten a new USB tweak device, the CorePower USBe Perfect, marketed by Underwood HiFi, that really seriously improved the sound with my Yggy (which has both the Unison USB and the analog upgrades). When I installed the USBe Perfect the noise floor and digital grunge went way down in level, revealing whole new layers of enjoyable musical detail. I think the USBe Perfect is very worth even the retail cost of $499 at least to the perfectionist. It was (and I think is most of the time) on sale at $299. The device is a little box with a USB A male connector at the input end, and a USB A female at the output end. It is plugged into the USB source and the USB cable is then plugged into it. I've tried other such tweaks, like the Audioquest Jitterbug, and a similar one from Ifi, but they were marginal in their benefits.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #10,268 of 12,304
When I installed the USBe Perfect the noise floor and digital grunge went way down in level, revealing whole new layers of enjoyable musical detail.
From what USB audio source? I've found that the need for USB tweaks is very dependent on source (lack of) quality.

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #10,269 of 12,304
From what USB audio source? I've found that the need for USB tweaks is very dependent on source (lack of) quality.

Not the best I'll admit - it's a Galaxy S4 tablet running the excellent UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) app. I certainly agree that the quality of the digital source is important in this, but the fact is that the basic USB system itself is compromised and very imperfect as a format in high end audio, and its processing needs to be optimized as much as possible.

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #10,270 of 12,304
I certainly agree that the quality of the digital source is important in this, but the fact is that the basic USB system itself is compromised and very imperfect as a format in high end audio, and its processing needs to be optimized as much as possible.
USB audio with a high-quality USB receiver like Unison is very competitive with AES3/EBU, S/PDIF coax, or even I2S (with the appropriate DAC) given a decent source. Don't blame USB audio for a mediocre source.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #10,271 of 12,304
USB audio with a high-quality USB receiver like Unison is very competitive with AES3/EBU, S/PDIF coax, or even I2S (with the appropriate DAC) given a decent source. Don't blame USB audio for a mediocre source.

This of course is arguable, but I think the Galaxy using its built-in USB processing is indeed mediocre, but with UAPP it is good to very good.

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #10,272 of 12,304
Yeah, but you got to explain this. You just make statements. Do you design USB circuits? If not, forget it.

This of course is arguable, but I think the Galaxy using its built-in USB processing is indeed mediocre, but with UAPP it is good to very good.
there's nothing to argue about, he hasn't said anything.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #10,273 of 12,304
Yeah, but you got to explain this. You just make statements. Do you design USB circuits? If not, forget it.
Blind listening comparisons among different sources, connections, and DACs that I have described at length in previous posts here and elsewhere. Not going to repeat it all again. As for "do you design USB circuits" that's silly. What designers say (self-interestedly) and what users experience are often at variance. I do have a pretty extensive background in EE, math, and CS, stats, and experiment design, so I can cut with some ease through expert BS.

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #10,274 of 12,304
In my experience, Unison USB is very good with a lowish-noise inexpensive USB source, beating some much more expensive AES sources. However, different combinations of source and connection method can still sound a bit different. I'd not worry too much and start with straight Unison USB unless you had good reasons to believe your USB source is electrically very noisy. In which case, rather than going on an endlessly expensive chase of more USB purification, I'd get a Pi 4+Pi2AES DIY streamer combo connected with AES to the DAC (I have a couple of those and they are competitive with Unison USB from a good USB source).
Hi did you notice any sound differences between the 'Pi 4+Pi2AES' output to Yggy AES in versus the 'Pi 4-USB out' to Yggy Unison USB?
Thanks

Dec 11, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #10,275 of 12,304
Hi did you notice any sound differences between the 'Pi 4+Pi2AES' output to Yggy AES in versus the 'Pi 4-USB out' to Yggy Unison USB?
Thanks
Never tried that, only 1) Pi2AES to Yggdrasil AES vs 2) Allo USBridge (original version, with Sbooster LPS) USB to Yggdrasil Unison USB. 1) has is a bit more clear, incisive, 2) slightly fuzzier. Not a big difference, but consistently noticeable. I have no reason to think Pi 4 USB would be better than the USBridge, which is custom designed for low-noise USB audio output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back