Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 2, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #9,766 of 12,319
I had the analogue and USB upgraded a couple of years ago, but not Unison. I am not going to worry about ir since that system does not use USB anyway. It is coax all the way from its CD transport.

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #9,767 of 12,319
Nothing was wrong, just Unison is better. Try it and see.

@Ableza Look, we all know that the Yggdrasil is the greatest thing since sliced bread, let alone the greatest DAC ever created to date.

But do you really mean to believe - let alone have others believe - that "at first turn on, everything was clearer and more articulate" and "there is definitely more space between instruments. On songs I am familiar with I can clearly hear instruments in the background, that I had not heard before" as was suggested by dwest1023?

Also, I'd like to reiterate my suggestion for blind testing. Presumably, you Ableza as a beta tester for Schiit subject yourself to blind testing, no?

The essence of what I'm stating is that if the Yggdrasil is a good as everyone states/believes prior to unison USB, then ANYthing new from Schiit or any other vendor should produce subtle (at best) "improvement" (or let's call it "change").

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #9,768 of 12,319
I had the analogue and USB upgraded a couple of years ago, but not Unison. I am not going to worry about ir since that system does not use USB anyway. It is coax all the way from its CD transport.
If that's the case, it's the case. People make blanket statements about what transport is better, and I'm skeptical of them due to variables of the chain. People have different setups, and your statement doesn't apply to a different system with a different ear.

There's a bit of an 'influence' involved when somebody hooks up a new toy and gets it working, and with a mindset that the setup got improved or better. I'm talking about these streamers. I need to start ignoring all these talk about 'noise' and 'jitter,' yada yada. I'm sure those Pi steamers people build has that 'influence.'

@Ableza Look, we all know that the Yggdrasil is the greatest thing since sliced bread, let alone the greatest DAC ever created to date.

But do you really mean to believe - let alone have others believe - that "at first turn on, everything was clearer and more articulate" and "there is definitely more space between instruments. On songs I am familiar with I can clearly hear instruments in the background, that I had not heard before" as was suggested by dwest1023?

Also, I'd like to reiterate my suggestion for blind testing. Presumably, you Ableza as a beta tester for Schiit subject yourself to blind testing, no?
People will have one Yggy, and you cannot do a side-by-side comparison with the two different boards. I have very little faith in somebody thinks something is better after a long period of time. Our auditory memory isn't that reliable, and with our conditions to vary over time? 'Unison is better' statements are just statements, nothing more.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #9,769 of 12,319

The essence of what I'm stating is that if the Yggdrasil is a good as everyone states/believes prior to unison USB, then ANYthing new from Schiit or any other vendor should produce subtle (at best) "improvement" (or let's call it "change").
Unison makes Yggdrasil better. Believe that or no, I don't care. Listen to one yourself, find out for yourself.

Blind testing is meaningless. To me. If it floats your boat, then do it. Knock yourself out. Enjoy the music.

Feb 2, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #9,770 of 12,319
As I changed digital source over the years, I asked my wife to evaluate them, without telling her what was what (which she wouldn't care about, anyway). Of course, these tests were with specific digital and analog hardware, so YMMV. In summary:

1. Auralic Aries Femto AES > Sonore microRendu + ultracap PS + gen 5 USB (from Roon to Hegel H360 + KEF Reference 1 + REL T7i)
2. Allo USBridge + Sbooster LPS + Unison USB > Auralic Aries Femto AES (from Roon to Hegel H360 + KEF Reference 1 + REL T7i)
3. Pi 2 Design Pi2AES + Pi4B AES > Allo USBridge + Sbooster LPS + Unison USB (from Roon to Phonitor XE + ZMF Verité)

1-2 difference greater than 2-3. Differences were consistent over small ensemble and orchestral, jazz and classical, which is what we listen to.

Feb 3, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #9,771 of 12,319
I installed the unison card this weekend and got some listening time in. Here are some thoughts:

Unison USB is much better than Gen5 (honestly can a usb card make this big of a difference?) I did not have my yiggy pre gen5 so I'm not sure what the jump to Gen5 was like but this is considerable for the $150 price tag.

Install was easy and very straight forward, if you've ever built a computer or played with legos you're capable of installing this card (follow the link posted earlier if your uncomfortable and take the steps to ground yourself)

Sound changes... lets start with the easy ones first. Through my system Meze Empyrean- Norne Silvergard3- SPL Phonitor X- Silver Dragon XLR's- Yggdrasil- Silver dragon- Windows 10 pc. There is a clear increase in performance of sound stage and imaging, the background is as black as can be, due to this I have heard things in recordings I am very familiar with that I haven't heard before with this set up or with my previous headphone set up (HD800s w/ HDV820) Something that was made very apparent due to the Empyrean's is that now the low end through the Yggdrasil hits quite a bit harder.

I am very impressed with this upgrade and especially the affordability of it! If you are currently using the gen5 usb for your listening make the switch, you wont be disappointed!

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #9,772 of 12,319
.............! If you are currently using the gen5 usb for your listening make the switch, you wont be disappointed!....
@Jvincent
And what would you recommend to those who do not use USB input but instead use any of the spdif inputs? Would you go as far as to indicate that even in that circumstance, one should switch from spdif to *unison* usb?

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #9,773 of 12,319
@Jvincent
And what would you recommend to those who do not use USB input but instead use any of the spdif inputs? Would you go as far as to indicate that even in that circumstance, one should switch from spdif to *unison* usb?
I have only compared the spdif to unison briefly as I usually am running this through my pc via usb... that being said when I set the yggy up with my living room 2.0 system I still preferred unison over spdif. for $150 I would still say it is a worthwhile improvement to justify upgrading.

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #9,774 of 12,319
I was skeptical too until I installed my unison board and listened... I am very impressed with the unison board and have found the same qualities @Ableza and @dwest1023 have stated.

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #9,775 of 12,319
@Jvincent
Mike Moffatt would, according to his statements. And I would agree.

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #9,776 of 12,319
Mike Moffatt would, according to his statements. And I would agree.

But I recall that Mike Moffatt was just as vehement about all things Yggdrasil prior to unison USB. In any case, I'm glad to read there are folks who have tried unison usb and realize/claim there is improvement in overall musicality and presentation. :thumbsup:

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #9,777 of 12,319
But I recall that Mike Moffatt was just as vehement about all things Yggdrasil prior to unison USB. In any case, I'm glad to read there are folks who have tried unison usb and realize/claim there is improvement in overall musicality and presentation. :thumbsup:
I'm not sure what your particular hard-on is, but one opinion does not preclude the other. Have you never really loved the performance of something and then found a way to improve it? If not, then I applaud your perfection.

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #9,778 of 12,319
I'm not sure what your particular hard-on is, but one opinion does not preclude the other. Have you never really loved the performance of something and then found a way to improve it? If not, then I applaud your perfection.

You're so insistent on having the last word. And that's fine, you can have it. Remember, I'm on your side. Meaning, I'm an Yggdrasil owner too, and a rather satisfied one at that.

Back to unison, again, I'd have to believe that any improvement *should* be subtle and if not subtle then there is something wrong (either with unison or before unison). Perhaps this is a case where objective measurements would be useful.

Speaking of measurements - and I haven't checked so just asking - I've read in another forum claims that the bitfrost measures better than yggdrasil. This based on the APx555 report posted on the Schiit website. Any feedback you (or anyone else) have around that is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #9,779 of 12,319
Remember, I'm on your side.
Usually the people that are on my side are far less argumentative, combative, negative, and a little more open to having a friendly conversation.

K, back on Ignore you go. Bye bye now.

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #9,780 of 12,319
*Usually* is the operative word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back