Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 3, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #9,647 of 12,320
You are mistaken about cables. It is nearly impossible to beat Deulund cables, and they are VERY inexpensive. You can get a set from ebay, lots of people are making them, or if you can solder you can make your own. AQ completely unimpresses me, Cardas high end is nice, but I prefer Duelund ICs. Don't know about USB as I use coax, I have not yet heard a difference in coax.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DUELUND-81388.html

I have 5 coaxes, three of which I built myself. Three of them sound the same - totally. (low level audiophile AQ Forest, Belden, Calrad).

Another is a strange design (carbon) from Mad Scientist that's 37.5 ohms. It sounds different, but not better - very seductive audiophile type treble, very rolled off bass.

The other one is a Calrad high quality SPC given to me by a member here (no longer) made. It's not hard or annoying sounding in the treble - more like an optical, but full of detail and clarity all over the map that marks it as a Coax and not an optical.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #9,648 of 12,320
I have 5 coaxes, three of which I built myself. Three of them sound the same - totally. (low level audiophile AQ Forest, Belden, Calrad).

Another is a strange design (carbon) from Mad Scientist that's 37.5 ohms. It sounds different, but not better - very seductive audiophile type treble, very rolled off bass.

The other one is a Calrad high quality SPC given to me by a member here (no longer) made. It's not hard or annoying sounding in the treble - more like an optical, but full of detail and clarity all over the map that marks it as a Coax and not an optical.
I was wondering why you posted this here but then I figured out you replied to an ignored message.

Anyway, I'd suggest reading on physics topics relevant to one's interests. Many mysteries will stop being mysteries.

Of course, wrong coaxial characteristic impedance = problems. "Sounds different" - because the digital receiver is hard at work filtering noise from reflections. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable#Choice_of_impedance
"All of the components of a coaxial system should have the same impedance to avoid internal reflections at connections between components. Such reflections may cause signal attenuation and ghosting TV picture display; multiple reflections may cause the original signal to be followed by more than one echo... Reflections also introduce standing waves, which cause increased losses and can even result in cable dielectric breakdown with high-power transmission (see Impedance matching)."

S/PDIF interface is designed for cables with coaxial characteristic impedance of 75 ohms. Anything else will cause problems and will "sound differently".

And it's not the same type of impedance that is mentioned in connection to headphones.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #9,649 of 12,320
I was wondering why you posted this here but then I figured out you replied to an ignored message.

Oh, it's against the rules to respond to an ignored message? What other useful bon mots of wisdom do you have?

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #9,651 of 12,320
Any listening impressions of the A1 cards with the firmware upgrade, like in the Yggdrasil GS?
I received a Yggy GS on Monday. I've been impressed from the start. I stream with Roon ROCK software on a NUC and a SOtM sMS-200 Ultra Neo into the Yggy. I'd been using a Cambridge Audio Azur 851D dac for several years and liked it very much, but I knew there was better to be had. I considered the Mytek Brooklyn and Chord Qutest, but when I saw the deal for the GS I had to pull the trigger. We're getting an improved original Yggy for an excellent price. Reviewers raved when it was introduced, and I'm raving now. The A2 upgrade is an option if wanted. I'm going to enjoy and get a feel for this model before making any upgrades. I listen mostly to speakers and Magnepan 1.6qr are very revealing. I'm hearing details in music I've listened to a lot and finding myself enjoying the music more than ever before.

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #9,652 of 12,320
I received a Yggy GS on Monday. I've been impressed from the start. I stream with Roon ROCK software on a NUC and a SOtM sMS-200 Ultra Neo into the Yggy. I'd been using a Cambridge Audio Azur 851D dac for several years and liked it very much, but I knew there was better to be had. I considered the Mytek Brooklyn and Chord Qutest, but when I saw the deal for the GS I had to pull the trigger. We're getting an improved original Yggy for an excellent price. Reviewers raved when it was introduced, and I'm raving now. The A2 upgrade is an option if wanted. I'm going to enjoy and get a feel for this model before making any upgrades. I listen mostly to speakers and Magnepan 1.6qr are very revealing. I'm hearing details in music I've listened to a lot and finding myself enjoying the music more than ever before.

Yep, saw that on the Schiit site, a great deal. Assuming you’re leaving it on; come January it will really draw you in!!

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #9,655 of 12,320
The Yggy GS is made of audio boards taken from units of people who upgraded to A2, so they are well burned in already.

Be that as it may... I still find my Yggy A2, functions better when left on 24/7 with a 30 sec restart every few weeks. Give it a shot you maybe surprise what you find.

Dec 6, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #9,656 of 12,320
The Yggy GS is made of audio boards taken from units of people who upgraded to A2, so they are well burned in already.

Nope. From Schiit’s website: “Two Analog 1 cards in an otherwise complete new-production Yggdrasil.”

More importantly, this isn’t just about burn-in. It’s about keeping Yggy thermally stable at all times.

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #9,657 of 12,320
Nope. From Schiit’s website: “Two Analog 1 cards in an otherwise complete new-production Yggdrasil.”

More importantly, this isn’t just about burn-in. It’s about keeping Yggy thermally stable at all times.

If you decide to quote things on their website, then quote the right thing, which is: "What do you do when you have a bunch of used Yggdrasil Analog 1 cards that are gathering dust? Well, if you're us, you put them in an otherwise new-production Yggdrasil so we can give you a chance to get our best DAC for a very attractive price." Instead of just quoting a sentence that happens to fit in your argument. So yes, they do use Analog 1 cards that are leftovers from Yggys that have been upgraded to A2.

Source

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #9,658 of 12,320
The price does seem... Steep. There may well be factors I'm unaware of, but used cards that had already been sold once before are put in a new chassis and sold for ~30% off of the upgraded version with all new parts?

I dunno... Maybe the chassis and labor are pricier than I think, but $1600 seems steep for used internals.

Dec 6, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #9,659 of 12,320
The price does seem... Steep. There may well be factors I'm unaware of, but used cards that had already been sold once before are put in a new chassis and sold for ~30% off of the upgraded version with all new parts?

I dunno... Maybe the chassis and labor are pricier than I think, but $1600 seems steep for used internals.
Everything is new except the used A1 cards. 3 year warranty and the possibility to upgrade to A2 cards, if wanted sometime in the future, for almost the cost of a new Yggy. I was considering a Chord Qutest or Mytek Brooklyn and this $1600 deal bought an excellent upgradable totl Schiit dac. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #9,660 of 12,320
Yep, saw that on the Schiit site, a great deal. Assuming you’re leaving it on; come January it will really draw you in!!

Your quote in bold. January is a month from now. If your were not talking about burn in here I am a mouse. My response was specifically regarding the burn in. I know it's better left on all the time but January would be irrelevant.
If you follow Jason's thread the Yggy GS is made of used analog boards and otherwise new other components. Many believe that burn in is relevant mostly to analog boards. They contain the DAC chips and other components responsible for generating analog sound signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back