Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 9, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #8,551 of 12,304
Those are interesting posts, @gdhal. I thought you were on the other side.
Now that I read you "love" the Yggy sound, I've changed my opinion.
It would have been easier if you showed a Yggy in your profile...

Personally, I don't give a damn about how a piece of equipment measures. If it sounds good to me, I'm going to support it.

Cheers!
RCBinTN

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #8,552 of 12,304
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #8,553 of 12,304
who are you referring to exactly?
Yeah, the minions who follow the master thread crapper. You aren't one of them.
It's easy to tell...they never post on Head-Fi, have no profile, the ones who reveal equipment have Emotiva or Topping DACs.
C'mon...they're being paid off to slam this site. Easy to see it......

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #8,554 of 12,304
The outright hatred of Schiit is pretty outrageous. And why I get so pissed.

Schiit has, and is doing so much good in affordable hi-fi it's ridiculous.

If you want to come into a Schiit enthusiast thread and crap on it, people will get mad. And should.

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #8,555 of 12,304
Not really surprising at all, perfect doesn't sound good. I struggled with this exact concept for the longest time.

Look at the people that love Vinyl, it measure like ass, has a high noise floor and lots of stereo cross talk and yet it is preferred by many.

Well, “perfect” can sound good and it can also sound like crap. Why? Because the measurements we know and use today don’t measure everything that matters in regards to overall sound quality. That’s why, in the end, measurements don’t really matter.

Look at tube gear. Solid state gear measures way better. Yet some of the best sounding gear is tube gear.

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #8,556 of 12,304
1528588969446IMG-20180427-WA0003.jpg
LOL. You add a lot, Sal.
Of what, I'm not sure...
Sal brings the REAL Stuff

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #8,557 of 12,304
LOL

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #8,558 of 12,304
Just the talk gives you headache? I had to respond to all the bloody ones. :D I too had to just go in my office and listen to some good music last night to drown it out....
Are you the same person as manisandher over on Computer Audiophile ? He is from Britain and makes very similar statements regarding the Yggy .

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #8,559 of 12,304
Those are interesting posts, @gdhal. I thought you were on the other side.
Now that I read you "love" the Yggy sound, I've changed my opinion.
It would have been easier if you showed a Yggy in your profile...

Personally, I don't give a damn about how a piece of equipment measures. If it sounds good to me, I'm going to support it.

Cheers!
RCBinTN

Cheers!. Thing is though, despite the fact that I do love the Yggy, it doesn't change my desire to understand the truth. And when it comes to being truthful, there really can be only one side.

Well, “perfect” can sound good and it can also sound like crap. Why? Because the measurements we know and use today don’t measure everything that matters in regards to overall sound quality. That’s why, in the end, measurements don’t really matter.

Look at tube gear. Solid state gear measures way better. Yet some of the best sounding gear is tube gear.

True about the tube gear, However, ASR touts something else disheartening - if true - regarding the Yggy. Let's face it, it's a stretch to claim this is a 21bit DAC. The chips are 20 bit. I understand the mathematics of 2(2^20) is the same as 2^21, HOWEVER, ASR claims (paraphrasing) it cannot even resolve 16bit. And then go on to joke about this is the reason it sounds so analog.

So... to your point about whether or not measurements matter, in this case YES. And why, because Schiit advertises the DAC as 21 bit, and that, presumably, is at at least a part of what we purchased.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #8,560 of 12,304
Cheers!. Thing is though, despite the fact that I do love the Yggy, it doesn't change my desire to understand the truth. And when it comes to being truthful, there really can be only one side.

Untrue, study quantum theory.

True about the tube gear, However, ASR touts something else disheartening - if true - regarding the Yggy. Let's face it, it's a stretch to claim this is a 21bit DAC. The chips are 20 bit. I understand the mathematics of 2(2^20) is the same as 2^21, HOWEVER, ASR claims (paraphrasing) it cannot even resolve 16bit. And then go on to joke about this is the reason it sounds so analog.

So... to your point about whether or not measurements matter, in this case YES. And why, because Schiit advertises the DAC as 21 bit, and that, presumably, is at at least a part of what we purchased.

Really I personally don't give a schiit about 20/21 bits here. The issue is bits of what. And his measurement of bits is pure crap.
I have a PC here that clocks to 5.4 on custom water, is it noticeably faster than 5? Not that I can tell.

I can benchmark it... oh nevermind.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #8,561 of 12,304

I have no doubt that the Yggdrasil is a 21 bit DAC in the sense that it is responding to 21 bits of differences in the digital signal. And Amir's diagrams show that it's still responding to at least 114 dB down, i.e. 19 bit, however inaccurately (it would be better to have 140 dB horizontally instead of 120 dB). That may point to a contradiction between Schiit's claims about the used chip's military grade accuracy and its actual performance, or it may be explainable with implementation issues, or it may simply be about the warm up time. Many people have mentioned outrageously long times (I think I've seen 10 days mentioned more than once, certainly a week) for Yggy to stabilize after being turned on, with some suggesting that it's not even enough for it to be on, it should ideally be fed a signal the whole time as well. Too many to just discard that notion without actually testing it (by measuring it).

So if I were to give my Yggy (bought right after the $100 price hike, i.e. it has analog 2 and USB gen 5) to Amir, it would be under the condition to repeat a set of measurements with the same settings and conditions every 24h, starting right after turning it on (and then leaving it on). And in balanced mode, because that is obviously what it's meant for (and if you can afford to spend $2400 on a DAC, you can probably afford a balanced headphone amp, too, at least - this is Head-Fi, after all). I am very curious about objective takes on Yggy (in addition to all the subjective ones that convinced me to buy it), but at the very least they should reflect typical usage, i.e. balanced and left on continuously, with all other measurements being optional and less useful.

That said, it would still be interesting to hear from @jude about how much time passed between turning Yggy on and his measurements.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #8,563 of 12,304
I can if I look, otherwise not, get my point?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #8,564 of 12,304
Are you the same person as manisandher over on Computer Audiophile ? He is from Britain and makes very similar statements regarding the Yggy .
Are you that surprised the whole world doesn't think the Yggy walks on water?
Actually most of the recording professionals use much different stuff to monitor the music they create that your listening to.
I don't think you'll find a Yggy in 1 in 10,000 recording studios. Many that I'm familiar with use Benchmarks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #8,565 of 12,304
Blimey, I've been following this .... let's call it a conversation for now ..... for the most part and I see an awful lot of really left brain, maybe interesting enough chat for a completely different thread and not enough real Yggy LISTENING IMPRESSION material.
I don't own an Yggy, I would love to have one in my home, but I have listened to Yggy plus Ragnarok, adored the build, the warmth (physical) and the musical quality, almost bought it on the spot, yet since I was on holiday at the time decided that I'd better keep some cash to spare. That was a good idea at the time, Yggy is nearly $4k here in OZ, $6.9k for the pair.
As you can see in my Sig, I am the very happy owner and avid listener of the Mimby/Magni 3 combo and for sheer music joy do not feel I am missing much at all on that level, although I certainly understand there is more available with a far greater cost involved. I have also heard plenty of gear at up to $60k and more that did not inspire me in the least!
As a potential punter for headier heights, as in Yggy/Rag, I want to be inspired further with what those who own such delights might offer as insights into what I can look forward to, not a whole lot of intellectual arguments which expose totally objective agendas and over-intellectualising over who's right and who's wrong ... at least not in this thread.
I trust my over 40 years of creative building and listening experience over all else, yet I can still be inspired by the experiences of others, hence my pleasure in sharing knowledge and experience both ways in other threads - such as the Sennheiser HD540 Reference thread, where no-one is co-opting anyone else into their POV and sharing ideas is paramount. It's fun.
My Mimby/Magni 3 (admittedly with some very fine interconnects) is utterly silent in use - as in background noise - and provides a level of 3D sound staging that belies not only the age of my Ref1s but also the cost of the gear. I could go on, but my point is that I am inspired for even more as I can afford it and it's here that I want to hear from others what they are experiencing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back