Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 3, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #7,891 of 12,304
You're reading a little too deeply into what was meant to be a wry and humorous comment.

As for me, no I am not in the queue yet. I probably will at some point, but not right now.

I was thinking of getting a Freya first so I could finally start driving my nearfield speaker setup off the Yggdrasil. I can't right now because it's all single-ended and Yggy's SE outputs are all taken by headphone amps already. But I cannot figure out a way to organize the desk and rack to make it fit so for now I'm doing nothing at all. I'd have to get rid of the second computer monitor and that isn't happening right now.

Thanks for the clarification.

BTW. You can easily make or have made a cable that uses the XLR outputs taking the plus side to go to an RCA plug. My MicroZotl v2 preamp is all SE and I am doing this. To me it sounds better than the SE outputs which use an additional summing circuit. YMMV.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #7,892 of 12,304
Freya has 3 sets of outputs. One balanced and two unbalanced. I don't see the issue?

I was thinking of getting a Freya first so I could finally start driving my nearfield speaker setup off the Yggdrasil. I can't right now because it's all single-ended and Yggy's SE outputs are all taken by headphone amps already.

ah, i see. i interpreted your comment "it's all single-ended" to refer to the freya when you meant your current set-up.

Apr 3, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #7,893 of 12,304
Yep, that's my bad. Not enough words. The downstream amp is single-ended, but I only have the balanced out on the Ygg available. Plus I kinda want a Freya anyway even if there are technically easier ways to solve this problem. Sometimes you just want something because you want it. :)

Right now that amp is being driven separately by a Channel Islands VDA-2 which was my first real DAC purchase from 10 odd years ago. Windows does not handle two digital audio output devices gracefully at all. Switching from one to the other means going into the control panel and changing the default audio output device, then changing the ASIO output source in JRiver. I really need to get it down to just the Yggy, and it'll probably curb stomp the VDA-2 sound quality wise as a bonus. I find the Freya's tube stage appealing, otherwise an XLR-RCA adapter cable would suffice.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #7,894 of 12,304
I think an Yggdrasil is probably the next upgrade in my system. I’m currently running a Bifrost Über and a WA6-SE with HD-800s; I just haven’t decided if I “need” to get a Ragnarok with the Yggdrasil or if the WA6 is “enough”. Does anyone else have any impressions with a similar set-up or have any pertinent recommendations?

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #7,896 of 12,304
I think an Yggdrasil is probably the next upgrade in my system. I’m currently running a Bifrost Über and a WA6-SE with HD-800s; I just haven’t decided if I “need” to get a Ragnarok with the Yggdrasil or if the WA6 is “enough”. Does anyone else have any impressions with a similar set-up or have any pertinent recommendations?

Don't have the WA6-SE but do have the WA2...not quite sure how they compare spec-wise but I'm guessing fairly close. Went from a Bifrost Multibit to the Yggy and I use the HD800S's.
Fantastic synergy to my ears...have never looked back. Huge upgrade from the Bifrost Multi to the Yggy.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #7,897 of 12,304
Don't have the WA6-SE but do have the WA2...not quite sure how they compare spec-wise but I'm guessing fairly close. Went from a Bifrost Multibit to the Yggy and I use the HD800S's.
Fantastic synergy to my ears...have never looked back. Huge upgrade from the Bifrost Multi to the Yggy.

Thank you! That’s exactly what my wallet doesn’t want to hear! Good to know.

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #7,898 of 12,304
Dear fellow ygg users, I am trying to use a US version Ygg with 230v power supply. could anyone help check?
I emailed Schiit for this about a week ago, but no reply still.
I saw on the board that there are both 115v and 230v solder points before the main transformer, as the attached pic shows
2C9XvEaPnLJVoDqXrrmmGmgRk
The current wiring is point 1 connected with point 2, point 3 connected with point 4. Can I make it to support 230v power supply by disconnecting 1&2, 3&4, then connect point 2 and 3?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #7,899 of 12,304

My Yggy feeds WA6 or Stax 727A. Hugely improves everything downstream, to the point where it all seems new!

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #7,900 of 12,304
Dear fellow ygg users, I am trying to use a US version Ygg with 230v power supply. could anyone help check?
I saw on the board that there are both 115v and 230v solder points before the main transformer, as the attached pic shows
The current wiring is point 1 connected with point 2, point 3 connected with point 4. Can I make it to support 230v power supply by disconnecting 1&2, 3&4, then connect point 2 and 3?

The dual primaries get wired in series instead of parallel. Without seeing the underside of the board it is hard to say how you will accomplish it. You probably disconnect the wires going to 2 and 3 and keep them separated with the ends taped off, then jumper 2 and 3 together. If in doubt take it to a good technician.

164dwg_B.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #7,901 of 12,304

The dual primaries get wired in series instead of parallel. Without seeing the underside of the board it is hard to say how you will accomplish it. You probably disconnect the wires going to 2 and 3 and keep them separated with the ends taped off, then jumper 2 and 3 together. If in doubt take it to a good technician.

164dwg_B.jpg

Even if you get a good Tech, you have invalidated your warranty....

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #7,903 of 12,304
May I suggest a converter, or would that add noise?
A good 230->115 transformer should not add noise. Solid-state converters should be avoided for this, though.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #7,904 of 12,304

164dwg_B.jpg
Thanks so much, I changed the wiring as you suggested, it is up and running now. Like the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back