Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 3, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #7,607 of 12,484
I mentioned in Jason's thread about creating a Vinylizer device (maybe an add on to The Gadget or Loki) that could be adjustable to add second order distortion, channel-bleed and perhaps even roll off the sound beyond what's recorded. Perhaps it's silly, but it would be interesting to see if the vinyl sound could be recreated in that manner.

In case no one mentioned it, there are already things you can download on your computer to change it to sound more like a vinyl or many other settings. Along with an EQ, you can already make it sound basically any way you want. Some people on here act like using any kind of DSP or EQ is an audiophile sin, but I love my 31 band APO EQ that I got for free in a few seconds.

Mar 3, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #7,608 of 12,484
In case no one mentioned it, there are already things you can download on your computer to change it to sound more like a vinyl or many other settings. Along with an EQ, you can already make it sound basically any way you want.

Do they have pop, rumble, scratches and surface noise plug-ins? :)

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #7,609 of 12,484
Do they have pop, rumble, scratches and surface noise plug-ins? :)

Actually, I'm pretty sure they do! I'm probably one of the 1% on here with a high end system and a video game fan, but look up some video games like Bioshock on YouTube and listen to the music. I think the game is set in the 1950s, and the music sounds so much like what I think it actually sounded like back then Its amazing! The character voicing, narration, and music is all top notch, even tho it was made like 10 years ago. It got an award for the audio it and it really shows how much character they can put into a video game. Like an amazing movie that you control that lasts 10 - 20 hours. And they made 3 of them!

I'm sure there are similar ones online to what they used.

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #7,610 of 12,484
Has anyone sent in an Yggy with an aftermarket fuse in it? I bought mine used with a $120 fuse and I want to upgrade it to A2 when I can. Would they take it out and put a normal one in when upgrading and send it back to me or leave it in?

Mar 3, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #7,611 of 12,484
I'd suggest removing it.
They most likely will return it to 'stock' condition and the fuse would likely be replaced.

JJ

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #7,612 of 12,484
Is this thread still being cleaned of off topic posts? I see no activity since Saturday yet I know there were a few posts. Just wondering if there is a technical issue?

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #7,613 of 12,484
Has anyone sent in an Yggy with an aftermarket fuse in it? I bought mine used with a $120 fuse and I want to upgrade it to A2 when I can. Would they take it out and put a normal one in when upgrading and send it back to me or leave it in?

I'd suggest removing it.
They most likely will return it to 'stock' condition and the fuse would likely be replaced.

JJ

You could put a note in with the unit requesting your fuse and it's orientation be inserted before sending it back.

Who knows' your unit may be delayed for a couple of weeks while Jason and Mike do the necessary tests of your fuse vs the standard, and also the orientation of said fuse to determine if your fuse really has unicorn blood inside it......:ksc75smile:

Mar 6, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #7,618 of 12,484
Mar 6, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #7,620 of 12,484
Which is...?
pros: Tighter, more controlled bass and the mid-bass.

cons: The sound stage became a tiny bit smaller, less width and less depth. You feel sitting closer to the musicians. The same orchestra is occupying a smaller space so everything sounds a tad denser and there's less air between the instruments. In other words, some of the instrument separation was traded-off. It's not a night and day difference but clearly audible.

There's also another much less obvious change in the upper regions and how you interpret this change largely depends on your system and personal taste. It sounds like there is a veil on the trebles, almost transparent but audible. The A2 is slightly less open on the higher frequencies than its predecessor. Those who found the A1 too bright will welcome this change and call the A2 sound more natural and/or musical. Fans of laser-sharp details will more likely see this change as a trade-off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back