Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 31, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #6,946 of 12,334
Jan 31, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #6,947 of 12,334
Autocorrect changes misspelled words into what your phone THINKS you were trying to spell! I don't proof read often enough and autocorrect bites me in the rump due to that!

You should simply click on the link! Did you enter the link into a Google search! Can you click on links on your phone?
scratch.gif

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #6,948 of 12,334
You should simply click on the link! Did you enter the link into a Google search! Can you click on links on your phone?
scratch.gif

You misunderstood, when I was listening sources I mistyped something and Mouser became Louder or something, I order from them all the time. I haven't had a chance to check out the site, gotta run, will check it later, thanks!

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #6,950 of 12,334
I'm sure you know this, but you can short the ground/return to the shield and run that into an RCA, it may be a pain in the rump changing over, but your speaker system will definitely sound better. It depends upon whether or not you use the speakers for background music, or serious listening...

When I first contacted Tech Support at Schitt about the balanced to RCA idea they said I could just leave the negative "-" floating. They also said that the single ended outputs include an additional summing circuit that might change the sound, I assume potentially decreasing SQ from the simpler balanced outputs. My Duelund ICs are unshielded using just two lightly twisted wires. They sound great and easily bested the Belden.

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #6,951 of 12,334
When I first contacted Tech Support at Schitt about the balanced to RCA idea they said I could just leave the negative "-" floating. They also said that the single ended outputs include an additional summing circuit that might change the sound, I assume potentially decreasing SQ from the simpler balanced outputs. My Duelund ICs are unshielded using just two lightly twisted wires. They sound great and easily bested the Belden.

That took me aback a bit, it's been decades since I have worked in a studio with XLR plugs, but I couldn't imagine that they would suggest leaving the "-" floating, I'd short the shield and negative as they should be at the same potential electrically unless your circuit has a circuit common/ground rather than a chassis ground in which case you wouldn't use the shield at all. I'd short the 2 or just use the positive and negative.

http://www.clarkwire.com/PinOutXLRBalanced.htm

Anyway, if you just use one of the inexpensive XLR to RCA converters from Amazon you'll be surprised at how much better the Yggdrasil sounds. Here is Ric's complete list of suggested mods, I am not a believer in vibration devices on semiconductors, or magic chips on capacitors, and I haven't concerned myself with any of his mods that require you to remove the cover, but to each his own.

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Schiit_mod.html

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #6,952 of 12,334
That took me aback a bit, it's been decades since I have worked in a studio with XLR plugs, but I couldn't imagine that they would suggest leaving the "-" floating, I'd short the shield and negative as they should be at the same potential electrically unless your circuit has a circuit ground rather than a chassis ground in which case you wouldn't use the shield at all. I'd short the 2 or just use the positive and negative.

http://www.clarkwire.com/PinOutXLRBalanced.htm

Anyway, if you just use one of the inexpensive XLR to RCA converters from Amazon you'll be surprised at how much better the Yggdrasil sounds. Here is Ric's complete list of suggested mods, I am not a believer in vibration devices on semiconductors, or magic chips on capacitors, and I haven't concerned myself with any of his mods that require you to remove the cover, but to each his own.

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Schiit_mod.html

He(EVS) says "You can get or make adapters to use (you use just pins 1 and 2 and you leave 3 unterminated....important!). "

That is what I am doing. Pin 1 is positive. Pin 2 is ground. He suggests floating pin 3 which is negative.

PinoutXLRmale.gif

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #6,953 of 12,334
He says "You can get or make adapters to use (you use just pins 1 and 2 and you leave 3 unterminated....important!). "

That is what I am doing. Pin 1 is positive. Pin 2 is ground. He suggests floating pin 3 which is negative.

PinoutXLRmale.gif

That seems bassakwards to me. I could definitely see not using the shield at all, or better still connecting it at one end to shunt noise to ground, we do that with control and sensitive instrumentation all the time, but if it works, it works.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #6,954 of 12,334
He says "You can get or make adapters to use (you use just pins 1 and 2 and you leave 3 unterminated....important!). "

PinoutXLRmale.gif

If it works it works, but even using both as I suggested potentially could be problematic so I am a bit surprised that they went that way. I guess they are thinking that the shield is always going to be connected to the "-"/return through ground, so you may as well send the noise the shield picks up to ground.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #6,955 of 12,334
B version here. When I was using my
Other than a slight brightness issue on a very few recordings using the XLR output, it's fantastic, and frankly if that's all that's wrong with it, you can run those few through your CDP, so if you don't already own one, buy one! I used to believe that a DAC was a DAC, that only the analogue outputs distinguished DACs, but the Yggdrasil cured me of that foolish notion!

I must be lucky. From time to time, the Yggy is describe as being a little bright. In my system(pass lab intergrated)my yggy just disappears. Its like its not in my system. Makes me afraid of this new upgrade,as Im not sure a change of sound would be good for me.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #6,956 of 12,334

I must be lucky. From time to time, the Yggy is describe as being a little bright. In my system(pass lab intergrated)my yggy just disappears. Its like its not in my system. Makes me afraid of this new upgrade,as Im not sure a change of sound would be good for me.

Well, I understand your apprehension, but I think that people with both versions have experienced this. SOME of that could well be bright recordings, in my case they are not generally considered bright, in fact I have never heard anyone call them bright, but even with that, I would think that the man who designed the Yggdrasil has done an amazing job on the upgrade. I think since with a Cardas cable it sounds fine, it's not bright, and without it it's not just bright, but also distorted, it has to be a cable compatibility issue. If your not having issues now, I am guessing that you won't after the mod, but if you do, go to a Golden Cross or a Golden Presence cable and that should fix it. I have not gone back and done any cable comparisons since I put it in and allowed it to settle in which it definitely needed as it started out bright on recordings that were not bright using my other cables, that cleared up quickly, but it did take a couple of days for it to really open up. Anyway, I have a set of Triode Wire Labs Spirits coming in a few weeks, I know a guy who has the Yggdrasil and the Freya as do I, and he uses Spirits with good results, and they are supposedly better sounding, as he has owned both. Anyway, I am not convinced that the problem is actually with the Yggdrasil because if it was, cables shouldn't effect it. A sensitive system likely just allows you to know that some cables have issues. I am making assumptions mind you, but I wouldn't hesitate getting the upgrade, your electronics certainly will allow you to hear a difference.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #6,957 of 12,334

I actually feel the same. That is why I was asking. I jumped right into the queue before hearing any feedback.

I have plenty of time to bail though. I started at 58 over two weeks ago and am now at 44.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #6,958 of 12,334
I actually feel the same. That is why I was asking. I jumped right into the queue before hearing any feedback.

I have plenty of time to bail though. I started at 58 over two weeks ago and am now at 44.

I am one of the few who have had issues, and I don't think that it's actually the Yggdrasil, I think it's a cable issue. Furthermore if you don't think cables matter I doubt that your system has sufficient resolution for you to worry about it at all. I'd trust Mike Moffat and Jason Stoddard and get the upgrade, after all, Mike designed the Yggdrasil and if you like it, his taste is trustworthy. Mind you, that advice is worth everything you paid me for it, but if your not having issues now I really don't believe that you will with the upgrade. Some owners of revision A says they have occasional issues, so I believe it's a synergy thing not a Yggdrasil thing. I mistakenly called the Yggdrasil bright, but more properly I believe it is just right and that I have some bright cables.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #6,959 of 12,334
For folks concerned about brightness caused by cables, you might want to contact Wywires.
Alex has a lot of experience with supplying cables to Schiit Audio.

He will take into consideration your other rig components and type of music you listen to.
And, your desire for a brighter or darker sound. :)

When I got started w/ balanced connections, I bought his blue analog interconnects.
They are very nice and Alex told me those are the cables that Jason was using at meets (a few years ago).

Wywires offers cables at different price points...red, blue, silver, platinum and on up.

I've since gone to his platinum cables for my balanced interconnects and headphone cables, and am very happy with the SQ.

Just FYI -
RCB

ps. I am not affiliated with Wywires, just a satisfied customer!
http://www.wywires.com/

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #6,960 of 12,334
Well, I understand your apprehension, but I think that people with both versions have experienced this. SOME of that could well be bright recordings, in my case they are not generally considered bright, in fact I have never heard anyone call them bright, but even with that, I would think that the man who designed the Yggdrasil has done an amazing job on the upgrade. I think since with a Cardas cable it sounds fine, it's not bright, and without it it's not just bright, but also distorted, it has to be a cable compatibility issue. If your not having issues now, I am guessing that you won't after the mod, but if you do, go to a Golden Cross or a Golden Presence cable and that should fix it. I have not gone back and done any cable comparisons since I put it in and allowed it to settle in which it definitely needed as it started out bright on recordings that were not bright using my other cables, that cleared up quickly, but it did take a couple of days for it to really open up. Anyway, I have a set of Triode Wire Labs Spirits coming in a few weeks, I know a guy who has the Yggdrasil and the Freya as do I, and he uses Spirits with good results, and they are supposedly better sounding, as he has owned both. Anyway, I am not convinced that the problem is actually with the Yggdrasil because if it was, cables shouldn't effect it. A sensitive system likely just allows you to know that some cables have issues. I am making assumptions mind you, but I wouldn't hesitate getting the upgrade, your electronics certainly will allow you to hear a difference.

Now that I think about it, at one time my yggy was bright sounding, but I noticed that there were differences in the sound when I changed my USB to Yggy cable. I went with a cardas cable and that took care of any brightness issue. I do not understand why a usb cable from my MAC air to Yggy would make a diffeence like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back