Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 9, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #6,046 of 12,304
always seems like everyone's experience varies . . .

i'm running win10 + roon + yggy in exclusive mode and don't have a problem with 24 bit files.

i haven't been following the exact details, but hope you get it figured out.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #6,047 of 12,304
always seems like everyone's experience varies . . .

i'm running win10 + roon + yggy in exclusive mode and don't have a problem with 24 bit files.

i haven't been following the exact details, but hope you get it figured out.

win10 waspi exclusive?
with which input? I"m using usb.

Nov 11, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #6,049 of 12,304
I received my unit from FedEx yesterday, unmolested and quite a lighter wallet. Taxes and conversion rate really hurt. Anyway, it's currently warming up in the corner of my room.

I will be hooking my newly arrived CD player, an Arcam Diva CD73 to it for all serious music listening. That's the plan, anyway. USB will suffice for now, until my I have a larger CD collection.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #6,050 of 12,304
When I'm not using the Yggdrasil with Tidal in exclusive mode. What should my Windows sound settings be?

What bit depth and sample rate is most common in Netflix, HBO, video games, youtube etc? as of now I'm keeping it at 24bit, 44.100hz.

Nov 12, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #6,053 of 12,304
When I'm not using the Yggdrasil with Tidal in exclusive mode. What should my Windows sound settings be?

What bit depth and sample rate is most common in Netflix, HBO, video games, youtube etc? as of now I'm keeping it at 24bit, 44.100hz.

For those applications, I would go 24 bit 48khz.

For playing music on the other hand, never use windows audio, always use a player that supports wasapi or asio. These will give a direct connection to your DAC, always automatically sending the audio data to the DAC at the native bit rate and depth of the audio file.

Nov 12, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #6,054 of 12,304
For those applications, I would go 24 bit 48khz.

For playing music on the other hand, never use windows audio, always use a player that supports wasapi or asio. These will give a direct connection to your DAC, always automatically sending the audio data to the DAC at the native bit rate and depth of the audio file.
I picked 44.1khz because that's what most tidal albums show up as on the Yggdrasil.

16/44.1 two votes (theveterans, D2girls)
24/48 one vote (JootecFromMars)

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #6,056 of 12,304
It doesn't work by voting :) Democracy is not applicable to electronics. One million could be wrong and one - right.
Just interesting that there is a difference. No one said why, as long as there is no convincing argument for either of them, I'm sticking to 24/44.1 :)

Nov 12, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #6,058 of 12,304
I haven't said anything regarding my impressions of it but here is some for thought.
I thought that there would be give to the top, as I know there are holes on it. I was surprised to see that you could look down into the holes and not see anything. There is another sheet of metal underneath to stop things from dripping and falling into the unit. There is no flex to the chassis at all. The metal is quite thick enough to stop any flexing. It's incredibly solid and sturdy. I could start at it all day, it's got such a lovely utilitarian look to it. It doesn't match any of my other gear colour wise, which is all black, but I can't imagine having a black one. Just looks more striking and eye catching in the silver. Here's some pics.

W1vc4Ear.jpg

V4wUsNd.jpg

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #6,059 of 12,304
Schiit has commented before on the holes (not open) on dacs and open on amps. The dacs must be shielded because of all the crap digital devices throw off. Also, dacs don't run as hot, so don't need the cooling holes. This was my understanding anyway.

Nov 12, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #6,060 of 12,304
Schiit has commented before on the holes (not open) on dacs and open on amps. The dacs must be shielded because of all the crap digital devices throw off. Also, dacs don't run as hot, so don't need the cooling holes. This was my understanding anyway.

So those holes on the Yggy don't vent. Is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back