Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 8, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #5,491 of 12,398
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but thought I'd post an experience that happened this evening in case anyone else has noticed it.

When I fired up my amp (3 day old build of M Cubed), I noticed a channel imbalance skewed to the left side. When I switched the IC's, the imbalance followed,
so it was apparent that the Yggy was at fault. I did my usual reboot (off, wait 5 seconds, back on), and that cured it. FWIW

When I had the Yggy connected to a Balancing Act amp via balanced IC's, the Yggy would occasionally stop passing the signal, and would need the reboot to get it back up.
I've not experienced that with other amps, so I'm thinking it could of somehow been an interaction between Yggy and BA. The BA uses a Cinemag transformer
to change the balanced signal to SE, so that may have been the cause. Color me perplexed. :thinking:

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #5,497 of 12,398
Aug 8, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #5,498 of 12,398
Well screw all this waiting around! I just picked up Yggdrasil number A001002 for over $500 less than new, including tax and shipping. Fully run in! Its on the truck and here by end of day Friday. Looking forward to hook up, warm up testing and soon some good listening.

Only thing missing is Gen 5, USB which I don't plan to use and 5 year warranty but 30 day trial is included-no questions asked.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #5,499 of 12,398
Have the following question into Schiit but figured I would toss it out here to see if the community had any suggestions.

Just received my Yggdrasil and have a setup problem. The DAC seems to be working properly as CD playback via coax is working fine. Unfortunately, I can't get my Windows 7 box to fully load the drivers and make the Yggy available. The standard connection without software lists the Yggdrasil as an audio device but with the yellow triangle indicating incomplete driver load.

This is a Gen 5 device, so it isn't clear on the website if a Schiit driver is necessary and if so, which drivers to use. Tried the Gen3 and Gen2/5 drivers and both times saw an error of "Please connect the CMEDIA USB20 audio device" and can go no further.

This system previously used a W4S DAC2, so I know the general setup was working.

Any advice?

Edit: problem solved. Download the older 1.03 drivers and everything installed correctly. Will wait to see if Schiit has any better advice.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #5,500 of 12,398
Well just checked out the install information doesn't look that hard at all so it looks like I might just do it myself then.

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #5,501 of 12,398
Well just checked out the install information doesn't look that hard at all so it looks like I might just do it myself then.

So where is the install information? I missed it somehow.

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #5,502 of 12,398
So where is the install information? I missed it somehow.
This is for the Gen 5 install and is a site not to be mentioned here. If I name it it will be deleted.

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #5,503 of 12,398
I've read up on reason; but this "glitch" is in analog-land from what is the the 18 to 21 bits resolution output (18 bit starts from -108dB; and this jiggle is in the -110dB area +/- 2dB). Hence it is not well below digital resolution. I know all multibit solutions got this issue, but no overview at which level this influences the analog output of the D/A-chip. Wouldn't this indicate that we only get 17 or 18 "correct" bits out of the Yggdrasil?

I'm not trying to say that the Schiit Yggdrasil is bad (I love it!); just trying to get a better understanding of this issue (I like to understand how the world works).

I don't think you can make that assumption, things seem a bit more complicated than that, 21 bits because it uses 2 x 20 bit DAC chips per channel in differential mode (2^20 + 2^20 = 2^21). But each 20 bit DAC has a 6 bit section with 63 switches (2^6 = 64) and only the remaining 14 bits are a R-2R ladder network with 14 switches.
I wouldn't call it an issue either, maybe an unavoidable undesirable behaviour (like CO2 from a combustion engine, you can minimize it but not avoid it completely).

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #5,504 of 12,398
Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back