Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,931 of 12,484
it can be the Tidal app thats broken. Try uninstalling and then installing the newest.
or..

Its a problem with a crap USB cable or a crap USB port. Is it connected trough a powered HUB or a USB hub with loads of stuff connected? Powersupplies also can make a difference, try running your laptop with out the charger plugged in.

Edit: I don't know how fine the windows 7 driver database is compared to windows 10. win10>win7

Unplugged ac cord, switched ports, USB cable direct to DAC. I just downloaded Tidal on Tuesday. Schiit supplies the windows7 driver.

But I am still having the garbled sound when starting track 75% of the time. After stopping the stream and switching between streams a few times it plays as expected.

Any one else with a yggy here trying out Tidal masters here had this problem?

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #3,932 of 12,484
So I'm just curious. Does anyone have a dedicated music server like an aurender driving Yggy? I mostly run Tidal and apparently there are a bunch of music servers (like Cambridge) that don't support Tidal. What has everyone found success with when it comes to music servers that play Tidal to Yggy? Is the sound favorable to a computer setup?

I use a Squeezebox Classic.

I have no problems putting money into higher cost solutions to audio problems. But until I have the chance to compare, the Squeezebox sounds great to my ears. Another streaming-capable box setup in another room, my Oppo BDP-105 is considerably more costly, but does not stream Tidal as well. Nor does my iPad connected to a Pure i-20. I prefer the sound of offline music, pre-downloaded from Tidal. The streaming seems to alter the quality of the sound ever so slightly. Streaming through the Squeezebox is buffered, and sounds consistently good through my Yggy.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #3,933 of 12,484
So I'm just curious. Does anyone have a dedicated music server like an aurender driving Yggy? I mostly run Tidal and apparently there are a bunch of music servers (like Cambridge) that don't support Tidal. What has everyone found success with when it comes to music servers that play Tidal to Yggy? Is the sound favorable to a computer setup?

I could stream Tidal via Roon if I wanted, but my listening is focused on jazz, world, and classical albums that I rip or buy in hi-res. It's not that Tidal is so expensive compared to how much I spend on music and gear, it's just that I don't care to have yet another subsystem to debug. Anyway, my Tidal-capable setup: Intel i5 NUC running Ubuntu and Roon Core > Ethernet > Sonore microRendu + Sonore LPS-1 > USB > Yggy.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #3,934 of 12,484
Unplugged ac cord, switched ports, USB cable direct to DAC. I just downloaded Tidal on Tuesday. Schiit supplies the windows7 driver.

But I am still having the garbled sound when starting track 75% of the time. After stopping the stream and switching between streams a few times it plays as expected.

Any one else with a yggy here trying out Tidal masters here had this problem?

Guessing you have no chance to try coaxial or fiber? just to rule out usb issues.or if you have some super crystal defunkified USB cable, try a cheap "crap" one. Don't use MQA passthrough and try Tidal on a different computer if you can as well.

I'm out of ideas. Send a mail to tech@schiit.com or info@schiit.com and get help.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #3,935 of 12,484
I use tidal to the Yggy and the only time I have issues is when my Internet connection is slow.

I've used oppo (optical) and my computer (USB) to Yggy.

You might try different settings for Tidal streaming quality to see if that helps. Or try downloading the songs in Tidal to test.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3,936 of 12,484
I totally didn't think about Oppo, I might try my 103d via optical and see what happens. I have a Raspberry Pi as well that I want to try, almost done with the setup on it and that should also work well. I hear a lot of good things about microrendu, I might look into it one day.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #3,937 of 12,484
I totally didn't think about Oppo, I might try my 103d via optical and see what happens. I have a Raspberry Pi as well that I want to try, almost done with the setup on it and that should also work well. I hear a lot of good things about microrendu, I might look into it one day.

I use an Oppo 93 into Yggy via a proper coax. Bliss.

Also- end of discussion in terms of making it work. It simply works.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #3,938 of 12,484
Oh, snap, I forgot I had a coax cable come in a while back. Need to get it hooked up and see what happens.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #3,939 of 12,484
I use tidal to the Yggy and the only time I have issues is when my Internet connection is slow.

I've used oppo (optical) and my computer (USB) to Yggy.

You might try different settings for Tidal streaming quality to see if that helps. Or try downloading the songs in Tidal to test.

I am using the MQA enabled Tidal App. There is no steam quality in that mode. Does not sound like you have tried MQA on tidal

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #3,940 of 12,484
I am using the MQA enabled Tidal App. There is no steam quality in that mode. Does not sound like you have tried MQA on tidal

Actually I have tried MQA on tidal. Running right now as a matter of fact. Why would you assume I have not?

I was suggesting changing the streaming quality to troubleshoot the Yggy stuttering issue.
The only issue I have seen is the buffering due to my internet connection.

Oh, and mine does not click very often at all when playing masters.

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #3,941 of 12,484
Garbled Stream Issue Resolved

I switched from wireless to wired wifi. I was right next the Wireless AP so I had a good signal. Having a garbled sound at times over wireless still does not make sense. I would have thought the DAC would have turned on its buy better equipment light if the stream was bad.

Thanks for all the responses.

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #3,942 of 12,484
Garbled Stream Issue Resolved

I switched from wireless to wired wifi. I was right next the Wireless AP so I had a good signal. Having a garbled sound at times over wireless still does not make sense. I would have thought the DAC would have turned on its buy better equipment light if the stream was bad.

Thanks for all the responses.

It's just WiFi has variable latency (depends on interference from other radios as well as physical obstacles). You should try 5 GHz WiFi (preferably 802.11ac standard) like I do as it offers much less variance in latency, but make sure there isn't too much obstacles between the line of sight of the router and your source.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #3,945 of 12,484
It's just WiFi has variable latency (depends on interference from other radios as well as physical obstacles). You should try 5 GHz WiFi (preferably 802.11ac standard) like I do as it offers much less variance in latency, but make sure there isn't too much obstacles between the line of sight of the router and your source.

This little eye opener, where the DAC played the steam of muck tells me you better provide the best stream possible because there is no way for it to determine if the steam is good or not.

Still, I am using the cheapest USB 2.0 cable possible straight from a laptop win7 and it is playing Tidal App streaming MQA and it is transformational!

As soon as ROON can support the MQA software I will have solved the problem with listening to thin/compressed/lifeless digital music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back