Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 19, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #3,571 of 12,304
Are you able to switch fast between them?
I'm starting slow, so just got myself a Modi Multibit. Very impressed with what such a little and inexpensive unit can do.
I'm interested how much better the higher end Schiit can get. Looking forward to your impressions. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #3,572 of 12,304
I'm starting slow, so just got myself a Modi Multibit. Very impressed with what such a little and inexpensive unit can do.
I'm interested how much better the higher end Schiit can get. Looking forward to your impressions. 

I can switch fairly fast, but it would be more ideal if I had two Sonore microrendus.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #3,573 of 12,304
I just got my Yggy and am running it through a Sonore microRendu with Uptone LPS-1 (also received today).  It's connected to my Audio Research Ref5SE preamp via Shunyata Zitron Python XLR interconnects, which is connected to a Sanders Magtech via Groneberg TS Premium interconnects to Magnepan 3.7i on MYE stands.

It didn't sound much different from my Bimby at first but seems to be opening up after a few hours.
A week is recommended for first time burn in and then like 12 to 24 hours re heat after extended power off. It didn't sound that good to me just plugging it in either but you will be rewarded with the wait.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #3,574 of 12,304

I can switch fairly fast, but it would be more ideal if I had two Sonore microrendus.

Fast a/b switching primarily reveals frequency response differences between components, bass/treble etc. I don't expect to find significant f/r differences between good dacs.

The differences in the characteristics we really value in better dacs, texture, touch, micro-details that stand out despite low volume, instruments emanating from silence and in a seemingly real space, reveal themselves with extended listening to several minute samples.

IMO
YMWV

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #3,576 of 12,304
Fast a/b switching primarily reveals frequency response differences between components, bass/treble etc. I don't expect to find significant f/r differences between good dacs.

The differences in the characteristics we really value in better dacs, texture, touch, micro-details that stand out despite low volume, instruments emanating from silence and in a seemingly real space, reveal themselves with extended listening to several minute samples.

IMO
YMWV

Good to know.  I haven't been a big believer in DAC differences up to this point but have never tried anything over $2k.  The most expensive DAC I've auditioned is the Bryston BDA-2.  However, I discovered after I returned the Bryston to my dealer that I was resampling everything in foobar, so the comparison wasn't fair.  I've also owned or extensively auditioned the original ODAC, ASUS Essence One, Schiit Modi, and Schiit Bifrost Multibit. 

I kind of just bought the Yggy for peace of mind given the quality of the rest of my system.  I didn't want there to be a weak link.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #3,577 of 12,304
It's not new, so it should be burned in already.

The previous poster used the term "burn in" loosely. It's 'thermal equilibrium' that matters for these medical grade chips according to Mike Moffat, though others' experiences suggest that over time the period needed drops from days to hours.

Above FWIW. I have no idea as mine has never been powered down for more than minutes.

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #3,579 of 12,304
Argo Duck does this mean that in a relatively cold environment, it would take longer for it to reach this equilibrium than one placed in average room temperature?

I don't have experience with this especially as mine stays on and prefer not to speculate. Perhaps Mike will answer when he gets time and if he saw your question...

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #3,580 of 12,304
Argo Duck does this mean that in a relatively cold environment, it would take longer for it to reach this equilibrium than one placed in average room temperature?

Not sure if you already own Yggy but do not let this heating thing influence your decision. Assuming you have a nice headphone or speaker setup, after an hr things turn addictive and one forgets about technologies involved.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #3,581 of 12,304
@Argo Duck does this mean that in a relatively cold environment, it would take longer for it to reach this equilibrium than one placed in average room temperature?

Yes, it will take longer since the whole thing is aluminium and takes a while to reach the equilibrium. They sound harsh and distant while reaching this point but when it does, you will truly appreciate it's value. Like schiit suggested, I had never turned it off even for a second from the initial startup.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #3,582 of 12,304

Of course we're good.  I get pissed when things get difficult or crash -- especially when it is something I did.

How to update an Yggy?  There will be from time to time hardware upgrades that we have offered along the way on all of our upgradable Schiit.  Yes, there is software booted by the DSP processor on the Yggy which lives on a Serial RAM chip.  That software is 98% done, but there remains a small chance for upgrade maybe later this year.

How old is your banjo??  Just curious.  PM me.

Hi Mike,

Not sure if it's sharable, but why 98%? What's left of the 2% that's not complete?

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #3,583 of 12,304
  Hi Mike,

Not sure if it's sharable, but why 98%? What's left of the 2% that's not complete?

All it really means is that all projects as complex as all of our multibit DACs are software upgradable.  Therefore it is possible for me to always consider them a work in progress.  Please understand there are no software upgrades currently under consideration.  That said, I have the freedom to do so, and users have the potential to enjoy them, which are  trivial to implement and inexpensive.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 21, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #3,584 of 12,304
Not sure if you already own Yggy but do not let this heating thing influence your decision. Assuming you have a nice headphone or speaker setup, after an hr things turn addictive and one forgets about technologies involved.

I actually got one, and have been enjoying them immensely! I was just curious because my chassis never gets warm to touch since I have a stand fan running alongside it to keep it cool. I live in a tropical climate, so I thought it would be a good idea since these things might not have been designed with this type of climate in mind.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #3,585 of 12,304
Anyone using an Yggy post-room-correction-dsp with speakers?  Does using it that way mess with the magic?

My preamp has a digital out that I currently feed into my UberFrost then onto the L/R speaker amps.  The preamp has RoomPerfect room correction software.  Does such a thing mutilate the bits beyond the ability of the mega-burrito filter to do its thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back