Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 14, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #3,556 of 12,484
^ IMO speakers beat any headphones in listening pleasure any day. Once you get used to the large soundstage and realistic imaging, there's no going back to headphones hehe.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #3,557 of 12,484
^ IMO speakers beat any headphones in listening pleasure any day. Once you get used to the large soundstage and realistic imaging, there's no going back to headphones hehe.
Don't totally disagree with that but there is also the adage "Happy wife happy life".

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #3,558 of 12,484
  Listening to Yggy on my 2-channel speaker setup right now... Very Nice!!!! Come join the club!!! It's more expense for a reason :wink:

Not always more expensive. I am using Neumann KH120 monitors which i bought used in this forum. AES input to Yggy -> Balanced XLR out to speakers -> Total bliss. 

I am in this hobby for about 12 years. After a long long time, i feeling new things in the songs that i have heard more than 100 times. It is not about hearing new things...i never knew that those instruments are mastered to produce such a stage as defined by yggy. 

None of the songs that i listen are mastered for headphones :p. Any how, comparing speakers to headphones is comparing apples to oranges. If your neighbors don't complain, if your wife can adjust with loud volume...heck yeah..speakers any day.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #3,559 of 12,484
  Listening to Yggy on my 2-channel speaker setup right now... Very Nice!!!! Come join the club!!! It's more expense for a reason :wink:

I love my Yggy-based 2-channel system (see sig), just listening to Michel Camilo's "What's Up?" that I just got and ripped into my Roon-based music server. Camilo's piano is just there at the back of my living room -- and I know what he sounds like live from a couple of shows he played in SF not so long ago.

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #3,560 of 12,484
  I love my Yggy-based 2-channel system (see sig), just listening to Michel Camilo's "What's Up?" that I just got and ripped into my Roon-based music server. Camilo's piano is just there at the back of my living room -- and I know what he sounds like live from a couple of shows he played in SF not so long ago.

I'm speechless. I'll stick with my Bose companion 50 for casual listening for now :|

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #3,561 of 12,484
I think I understand why you all say the yggy is great with speakers. The yggy sounded distant, meaning there is a lot of seperation with the left and right channels and I think they will need some crossfeeding. Does anyone know how to add crossfeed to windows by default since I steam from tidal?

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #3,562 of 12,484
Dec 16, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #3,563 of 12,484
I have decided to get some speakers and see how great they should sound through my Yggdrasil and Ragnarock or Liquid Gold. I am ordering a demo/ belemo pair of Fritiz Carbon 7SE speaker, for my small audio room. I have a ER doctor, who lives above me, and will come home at 3 am and jam out. I love the Who and David Bowie but not at 4 am, so I will fight fire with fire. I will see if he likes some Sex Pistols and Green Jellow at 5 am lol. Plus I honestly want to see how well 2 channel speakers sound through my set up.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #3,564 of 12,484
I have a ER doctor, who lives above me, and will come home at 3 am and jam out. I love the Who and David Bowie but not at 4 am, so I will fight fire with fire. I will see if he likes some Sex Pistols and Green Jellow at 5 am lol. Plus I honestly want to see how well 2 channel speakers sound through my set up.

You better hope that he'd not the attending if you crash your car.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #3,565 of 12,484
  I think I understand why you all say the yggy is great with speakers. The yggy sounded distant, meaning there is a lot of seperation with the left and right channels and I think they will need some crossfeeding. Does anyone know how to add crossfeed to windows by default since I steam from tidal?

You might want to play with adjusting your speakers first, the Yggy will reveal other deficiencies in your system. Maybe they are too far apart, or could be "toed-in" a little but to center the sonic image. Try working with your speakers before messing around with the sonics electronically.

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #3,566 of 12,484

You might want to play with adjusting your speakers first, the Yggy will reveal other deficiencies in your system. Maybe they are too far apart, or could be "toed-in" a little but to center the sonic image. Try working with your speakers before messing around with the sonics electronically.

How stupid of me :frowning2: I forgot to mention that I was using headphones. Sorry :frowning2:
I was about to say while I use headphones, the seperation is farther than normal and I would like to know the crossfeeding technique for tidal.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #3,568 of 12,484
Yep speakers make headphone stuff look like kiddie toys, I'm looking at entry level Siltech speaker cables for $1800.

And yet the stupid headphone makers can't seem to standardize on a range of impedances that are in any way sane, ranging from single digit ohms up to 600 ohms....

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #3,569 of 12,484
  How stupid of me :frowning2: I forgot to mention that I was using headphones. Sorry :frowning2:
I was about to say while I use headphones, the seperation is farther than normal and I would like to know the crossfeeding technique for tidal.

I believe you can use Jriver on windows as a sound driver - i.e. you set up whatever DSP, EQ, cross feed at Jriver and it acts as a global sound driver on windows - meaning your Tidal would stream through the Jriver WDM driver - I hope it makes sense? it's less complicated than it sounds. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #3,570 of 12,484
I just got my Yggy and am running it through a Sonore microRendu with Uptone LPS-1 (also received today).  It's connected to my Audio Research Ref5SE preamp via Shunyata Zitron Python XLR interconnects, which is connected to a Sanders Magtech via Groneberg TS Premium interconnects to Magnepan 3.7i on MYE stands.

It didn't sound much different from my Bimby at first but seems to be opening up after a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back