Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 6, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #3,406 of 12,283
I am torn between getting the Gumby to upgrade from my Uberfrost or waiting an eternity (it seems!) to go straight to the Yggy.  I am also thinking that the Gumby's less detailed presentation is more suitable to my old rock albums.

Can you rate the relative spookiness of the Bimby, Gumby and Yggy?

Never heard the Bimby but I had a Gumby (very good) . Listened to the Yggy and sold the Gumby . The Yggy spoiled me . Yggy has better resolution but isn't harsh . Speakers make a bigger difference with styles of music imo. My Kef Ls50's aren't that good with hard rock imo , but incredible with jazz .
I'd buy the Yggy and quit looking ..... for good .
The Yggy scares me sometimes . I hear stuff on songs I've never heard before and I start looking around the room in a What wonderment . Yggy is spooooky to me . Acoustic music is really scary good .

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #3,407 of 12,283
Never heard the Bimby but I had a Gumby (very good) . Listened to the Yggy and sold the Gumby . The Yggy spoiled me . Yggy has better resolution but isn't harsh . Speakers make a bigger difference with styles of music imo. My Kef Ls50's aren't that good with hard rock imo , but incredible with jazz .
I'd buy the Yggy and quit looking ..... for good .
The Yggy scares me sometimes . I hear stuff on songs I've never heard before and I start looking around the room in a What wonderment . Yggy is spooooky to me . Acoustic music is really scary good .

I just got my yiggy ,also.
I have it paired with the 1217 Ember,and, the HD600's.

It's end -game for me as well,simply beautiful-don't see how SQ could improve any further.

Mike

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #3,408 of 12,283
  Keep in mind that everyone worries about clocks and jitter, but more likely the differences you hear are from leakage currents from the digital source to the DAC. With a microRendu digital source powered by an UpTone LPS-1 ultracap power supply that totally gets rid of leakage currents, Bimby USB is even better than S/PDIF with a good Bel Canto USB>S/PDIF converter (which does not guarantee leakage current isolation). My new Yggy just arrived for the living room system, but the Hegel H360 it will be feeding will take another couple of days to get here. I'll eventually be using exactly the same setup to feed the Yggy, although temporarily with a very good (but not ground-current-blocking) Teddy Pardo LPS.

Talking about power supplies, is the Uptone LPS-1 Ultracap better than the Teddy Pardo LPS?

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #3,409 of 12,283
Black Yggy is available! Go get it.. too bad I already have the Yggy, selling it at the current rate and buying another would be +$600 (no thanks to CA tax) for me... rather use that fund for the Freya instead.  

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #3,410 of 12,283
  Talking about power supplies, is the Uptone LPS-1 Ultracap better than the Teddy Pardo LPS?

Specifically on my setup, I felt there was an improvement in overall clarity, but I'm not able to do a controlled experiment, so it could be placebo effect. Here's what I wrote elsewhere:
Sounds great, listening to Brian Blade's superbly light touch with drumsticks on cymbals on "Triad Song" in the "Rising Grace" album (Wolfgang Mutshpiel guitar, Ambrose Akimmusire trumpet, Bard Mehldau piano, Larry Grenadier bass, Brian Blade drums; PCM 88.2/24 ECM release via HDtracks). The cleanest background, best defined attacks I've heard with microRendu>Bifrost MB>Jotunheim. The Teddy Pardo was doing a good job, but another slight layer of fuzz seems to have been lifted.

The LPS-1 is also physically much smaller, which is better for my use cases. And the price is comparable. 

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #3,411 of 12,283
  Black Yggy is available! Go get it.. too bad I already have the Yggy, selling it at the current rate and buying another would be +$600 (no thanks to CA tax) for me... rather use that fund for the Freya instead.  

Funny thing is, just got my standard silver Yggy, I was concerned that it would stick out next to the dark furniture and black amp in the living room, but it actually looks very nice there.

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #3,412 of 12,283
If what I read here and in other fora about Yggy and H360 break-in times is accurate, I'm in for a real treat as the two components improve, given how scary good they are already.

If this is your first day with Yggy, then forget about what you heard... Give it at least 2-3 days for a first and temporary assessment.  You'll see (well, actually hear...) what the Yggdrasil can really do after a week (provided you'll never switch it off, of course).  This is my personal experience (yes, I have an Yggdrasil), but, as I think you already know, it's not different from what most Yggy owners have experienced too.
Happy listening with your rig!

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #3,413 of 12,283
Yes a week playing music thru it it does open up. What is good only gets a bit better but better none the less IMO. After that if off for awhile it takes about 12 to 24 hours to get right again. At a recent meet took the Yggy on battery power and inverter so it was always warm and one person kept saying "I could hear the pick hitting the string" . I love this dac.

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #3,414 of 12,283
Hey guys, I am well familiar with the technicalities of the two, but just want to get an opinion since I haven't heard the Yggy. I am currently using a slightly modified Gungnir Multibit with USB2, with an Uptone Regen on a linear power supply. I also just have some simple mods like ISODAMP on the heat sinks and a audio grade fuse.

I will probably end up getting the Yggy soon anyway, but which do you think would make a better initial improvement likely, the upgrade to a Rednet 3 with Dante Virtual Soundcard (instead of USB) on the Gumby MB or the Yggy with the USB/Regen/ linear power supply and mod on the fuse/heatsink I described above?

I am as mentioned likely getting a Yggy anyways, but I am leaning towards the Rednet 3 first.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #3,415 of 12,283

If this is your first day with Yggy, then forget about what you heard... Give it at least 2-3 days for a first and temporary assessment.  You'll see (well, actually hear...) what the Yggdrasil can really do after a week (provided you'll never switch it off, of course).  This is my personal experience (yes, I have an Yggdrasil), but, as I think you already know, it's not different from what most Yggy owners have experienced too.
Happy listening with your rig!

My first day listening, but it was on since I got it two days before, just not connected to source or amp because I needed to rewire a lot of stuff and the amp only arrived yesterday. Already very good in space and detail, but a bit harsh and unbalanced. Significantly improved today, jazz double bass went from great presence to presence with great attack and decay, higher notes on the piano are better defined, chords feel more "solid" (running out of words here). Listening to a superb Naim 96/24 album, "Nightfall" by (sadly departed) Charlie Haden (bass) and John Taylor (piano). I don't mind that I don't know what in the improvements comes from Yggy break-in and what comes from H360 break-in :wink:

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #3,416 of 12,283
Yes a week playing music thru it it does open up. What is good only gets a bit better but better none the less IMO. After that if off for awhile it takes about 12 to 24 hours to get right again. At a recent meet took the Yggy on battery power and inverter so it was always warm and one person kept saying "I could hear the pick hitting the string" . I love this dac.

Not planning to turn mine off except for electrical work on long absences from home. And even after just a few days on, already hearing unexpected details in otherwise familiar recordings.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #3,417 of 12,283
Not planning to turn mine off except for electrical work on long absences from home. And even after just a few days on, alreadyNever hearing unexpected details in otherwise familiar recordings.
It is very good at that for sure. I'm hearing so many songs for the first time it's just awesome.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #3,418 of 12,283
It is very good at that for sure. I'm hearing so many songs for the first time it's just awesome.

Yes the Yggdrasil is a fantastic Dac, and if I had not spent my money y on a Utopia, I would had gotten another legendary Yggdrasil, just to store and away , until my current Yggdrasil, some how succumbs to the forces of entropy.

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #3,419 of 12,283
Yes the Yggdrasil is a fantastic Dac, and if I had not spent my money y on a Utopia, I would had gotten another legendary Yggdrasil, just to store and away , until my current Yggdrasil, some how succumbs to the forces of entropy.

This thing is built like a tank, I'm likely to be entropy-ized before it 
eek.gif

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #3,420 of 12,283
  I am torn between getting the Gumby to upgrade from my Uberfrost or waiting an eternity (it seems!) to go straight to the Yggy.  I am also thinking that the Gumby's less detailed presentation is more suitable to my old rock albums.

Can you rate the relative spookiness of the Bimby, Gumby and Yggy?

Since I've only heard them at meets or under time limited conditions It would be a stretch for me to rate them in that way.

I usually need weeks of time to 'properly' evaluate any gear.
And that is after ≈500hrs of settling in time.

But if pressed, the greater the capability of these mutltibit dacs (ie #1 Jggy, #2 Gumby, #3 Bimby) the more the Spooky/Scary.

It seems that the greater the amount of detail AND how well it is 'aligned' with its 'parent' determines the degree of S/S.
And the Jggy has the most inner detail and focus of them all.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back