Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 22, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,291 of 12,310
Hello,

OK, I have been working a lot lately to pay for my recent Yggy acquisition, and to upgrade my current amps.....I will start this thread later when I get home from work. I've been busy, but I will put together a thread and outline how I setup my system, the tools, and all that good stuff.

Cheers!

P. S. My Yggy now has over a month of constant signal going through it. It is definitely in a whole new league from the Gumby. If you crave transparency and realism, the Yggy certainly delivers, in my opinion with the gear I am listening to. It is extremely revealing of the source material. Lately I have been more focused on movies rather than music over the past few weeks, and Yggy brings amazing intimacy to movie soundtracks and foley effects, and movies have been so much more engaging when you feel more connected to the movie soundtrack, WHILE the movie is playing.

P.P.S.  I will also talk about the philosophy of why I built my system the way I did. I hope you all enjoy it!    :)

I completely agree that the Yggy is a much better dac than the Gumby . This talk of the Gumby being 90% of the Yggy is nonsense imo.

Don't get me wrong the Gumby may be the best dac available for around 1k but the Yggy is better in every department .Better resolution ,
larger soundstage , more dynamic , more defined bass , more realistic vocals,etc etc .

I have sold my Gumby for another Yggy to pair with my Genelec Monitors.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #1,293 of 12,310
  Anyone know the operating frequencies of the 2 clocks on the Yggdrasil ?    Are these femto specs clocks ?

22.5792MHz and 24.676MHz.  Femtoclock is a trademark of IDT:
http://www.idt.com/products/clocks-timing/femtoclock-low-phase-noise-frequency-clock-synthesizers
If one purchases this IC to generate clocks then I presume they could advertise the trademark.  It is very easily purchased.

The clock section of the Yggy is not dependent on the performance of a purchased clock system IC.  It is a "discrete" implementation.  What matters is the jitter on the D/A component as a whole.  I refer to this post for the Yggy:
post #32
http://www.head-fi.org/t/764787/yggdrasil-technical-measurements/30#post_11612789

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 25, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,295 of 12,310
I've just received my RMA HE1000 back, the anomaly in the higher frequencies I experienced is not present in this can. So far so good. Fingers and Toes crossed. And I muss say, they sound awesome from the LAu.

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #1,296 of 12,310
Hello fellow Schiit-Heads :wink:

I Swapped my speakers (B&W CM10s)  to electrostatics (Martin Logan Electromotions) and I'm blown away - the Yggy has got so much detail it blows my mind - seriously, I'm listening to music I heard hundreds of times in various setups including high end headphones - yet I'm now hearing more details I've never heard before...

I have a couple of questions about the Yggy:

1. I noticed that when it played flies in different resolutions there's an audible 'click' from the Yggy as it changes the corresponding lights. I usually play my music randomly and with lots of different resolutions (though most is Red book). Is this a mechanical part? if so will it degrade over time? shoudl I try to not switch resolutions all the time?

2. Did anyone experiment with vibration isolation/absorption with the Yggy? I used Townshend seismic isolation bars with my speakers and sub to phenomenal effect - but the Yggy (or other Dacs and amps) are solid state, would it matter?

Thank you!

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #1,297 of 12,310
#1. Check your manual:

Hey, this thing clicks when my CD player is in pause/when I select files on my desktop/change sample rates, etc.
Right. That’s the muting relay, doing its job. When the incoming datastream is interrupted, Yggdrasil will mute. The relay is rated for 15 million cycles, so don’t stress about it. Or buy a better transport. Or use USB.

2. Steve of Herbie's Audio believes that the DAC in a chain is the most susceptible to vibrations. I have used four Tenderfeet on my Yggy since I got it. Will likely add a stabilizer later, but have my Valhalla 2 on top for now.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/sqfaq.htm

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #1,298 of 12,310
#1. Check your manual:

2. Steve of Herbie's Audio believes that the DAC in a chain is the most susceptible to vibrations. I have used four Tenderfeet on my Yggy since I got it. Will likely add a stabilizer later, but have my Valhalla 2 on top for now.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/sqfaq.htm

did you hear a difference without them?

Anyone use any other solutions?

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,299 of 12,310
did you hear a difference without them?

I won't use without them and put under before first power on (yesterday). My TV stand shelves are glass and the stand is Made in China, so I use these or Herbie's other products to minimize vibrations for components.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #1,300 of 12,310
#1. Check your manual:

Hey, this thing clicks when my CD player is in pause/when I select files on my desktop/change sample rates, etc.

Right. That’s the muting relay, doing its job. When the incoming datastream is interrupted, Yggdrasil will mute. The relay is rated for 15 million cycles, so don’t stress about it. Or buy a better transport. Or use USB.

What I don't get is why would a "better transport" solve the problem of the Yggy muting when sample rates change?

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,302 of 12,310
I'm currently using four Stillpoints Ultra Mini's under my Yggy, but also have a selection of Herbie's footers that I've used in the past under various gear.

It's really a matter of trial and error as to what footer material/device to use, but it has become very clear to me that some sort of vibration dampening on any or all gear is crucial to getting the best out of one's audio playback system.

I even noticed quite a difference in going from three to four footers under my Yggy.  The improvement in detail and clarity (resolution) was quite evident.  Adding a fifth footer increased the resolution further, but I found it to be a little too much of a good thing, so I backed off to just the four.  It's really a matter of personal taste...

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,305 of 12,310
I'm currently using four Stillpoints Ultra Mini's under my Yggy, but also have a selection of Herbie's footers that I've used in the past under various gear.

It's really a matter of trial and error as to what footer material/device to use, but it has become very clear to me that some sort of vibration dampening on any or all gear is crucial to getting the best out of one's audio playback system.

I even noticed quite a difference in going from three to four footers under my Yggy.  The improvement in detail and clarity (resolution) was quite evident.  Adding a fifth footer increased the resolution further, but I found it to be a little too much of a good thing, so I backed off to just the four.  It's really a matter of personal taste...

Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back