Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 15, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #10,381 of 12,310
now pushed back 6 weeks because of parts delays and I get the feeling that's an arbitrary number for now
There's a crazy backlog on semiconductors right now. I know of major equipment orders delayed by months. The situation is so bad that even general newspapers are starting to cover it. COVID-19 can't have helped supply, and demand has gone crazy with so many people working and recreating at home. All those laptops, keyboards, USB microphones, video cameras, game consoles use lots of chips. Then there was the AKM fire to mess up the digital audio supply chain.

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #10,382 of 12,310
Nope, now pushed back 6 weeks because of parts delays and I get the feeling that's an arbitrary number for now. Kind of sucks but there is really nothing else I would rather have technology-wise in a DAC aside from something like a ladder MSB at 5x the price.
Sadly, yeah, that 6-week wait is going to be a long one. Still, I perfectly understand the situation Schiit, and other tech companies, find themselves in. COVID is an unprecedented event - it has completely rewritten the rules of conducting business; it affects all categories, from the small firms to the large, multinational ones.

Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the April deadline will not be extended any further. We can always hope, can't we? :)

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #10,384 of 12,310
Going from Gumby to Yggy there was a slight improvement in bass and resolution maybe in the treble region but not huge... Like I said I love both.
Can you go into more detail with this? I had the Yggy GS and the Gumby A2. I really liked the wide soundstage and the warmer tonality. The Yggy was definitely more dynamic but it was a bit brighter. Not a problem as I usually pair it with my warm headphones like my Aeolus but still something to consider. How explosive is the bass on the Yggy A2 over the Gumby?

The total cost is identical to a brand-new Yggdrasil Analog 2 (with Unison USB). Hence, I'm not sure why Schiit won't allow GS owners to perform either upgrade; after all,

I self upgraded my GS to Unison when I had it. It was actually pretty simple, the other forum has a well written guide on how to do it. Takes 30 mins- 1 hour tops. As for A2 wasn't aware of that. They probably don't want to cannabilize their other products.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #10,385 of 12,310
Can you go into more detail with this? I had the Yggy GS and the Gumby A2. I really liked the wide soundstage and the warmer tonality. The Yggy was definitely more dynamic but it was a bit brighter. Not a problem as I usually pair it with my warm headphones like my Aeolus but still something to consider. How explosive is the bass on the Yggy A2 over the Gumby?

i would say the yggy a2 is more resolving in general -- textures are more detailed and seem more real. bass on the a2 is excellent (don't know how to interpret explosive).

gumby is very good too, yggy a2 just does everything a little better.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #10,386 of 12,310
I stop lusting after other dacs since getting the original Yggdrasil and it has remain original with a year warranty remaining. The arrival of the Bifrost 2 a few months ago is refreshing. In 2 days time, some friends are coming over bringing their Denafrips Terminator, Holo Spring 2 L2 but it don't matter to me. Yggdrasil will remain on my shelf. It's the other tube amps - 300b and KT77 set amps and the many headphones that I will be spending time on rather than comparing dacs.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #10,387 of 12,310
i would say the yggy a2 is more resolving in general -- textures are more detailed and seem more real. bass on the a2 is excellent (don't know how to interpret explosive).

gumby is very good too, yggy a2 just does everything a little better.

When I mean explosive I mean how is the slam? I have an Eikon that handles subbass really well but with poor sources the bass seems to take a back seat to the midrange. Is it a really noticeable difference between Yggy A2/Gumby A2 on the bass if both are using balanced or is it not worth it? I can take or leave extra detail. I want powerful bass and a forward, smooth midrange. I sold my Yggy GS because while it was technically impressive I didn't feel an emotional connection to it. It was a bit dry sounding.

By the way for anyone using SE sources like me (Crack tube amp) I recommend going with a custom cable vs. going with a transformer. All transformers have a sound - the more expensive ones have a little less of their own signature (Cinemag, Sowter). Just leave pin 3 on the XLR side unconnected to anything and put the shield on Pin 1. I had a guy on eBay make me a custom cable like that - perfectly safe for your DAC. I plan on using it with my Pavane and Yggy/Gumby depending on what I get.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #10,388 of 12,310
When I mean explosive I mean how is the slam? I have an Eikon that handles subbass really well but with poor sources the bass seems to take a back seat to the midrange. Is it a really noticeable difference between Yggy A2/Gumby A2 on the bass if both are using balanced or is it not worth it? I can take or leave extra detail. I want powerful bass and a forward, smooth midrange. I sold my Yggy GS because while it was technically impressive I didn't feel an emotional connection to it. It was a bit dry sounding.

By the way for anyone using SE sources like me (Crack tube amp) I recommend going with a custom cable vs. going with a transformer. All transformers have a sound - the more expensive ones have a little less of their own signature (Cinemag, Sowter). Just leave pin 3 on the XLR side unconnected to anything and put the shield on Pin 1. I had a guy on eBay make me a custom cable like that - perfectly safe for your DAC. I plan on using it with my Pavane and Yggy/Gumby depending on what I get.

the gumby is a very good dac, no doubt. the yggy has more clear and detailed bass, but it doesn't enhance the bass -- it gives it to you like it is. so in that sense, i would say the bass is "explosive."

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #10,389 of 12,310
snip

…I'm not sure why Schiit won't allow GS owners to perform either upgrade; after all, there aren't any savings to be had. snip
The reason is the firmware is upgraded as well as swapping the 'analog' boards.
Upgrading the firmware is not something a user can do.

JJ

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #10,390 of 12,310
The reason is the firmware is upgraded as well as swapping the 'analog' boards.
Upgrading the firmware is not something a user can do.

JJ
There's actually a video of an owner performing the firmware update on their Analog 1 Yggy -

Besides, Schiit sells the updated firmware (via a chip) for $35. :)

In any case, the GS already has the updated firmware - the differences between this and the Analog 2 Yggy come in the form of a slightly-outdated USB interface in the form of a "Gen 5", and the presence of the twin Analog 1 boards.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #10,391 of 12,310
That is strange as the FAQ for this upgrade states…
"Wait a sec, this has to come back to you for upgrade? This isn't fair! I don't live in the USA!"
…"Due to the need for firmware and hardware updates, this upgrade must be done by Schiit, or by an authorized service center such as Electromod in the UK. Because of this, there is no self-install option, sorry. Yggdrasil Analog 1 cards will not be returned from this upgrade."

https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-analog-2

So I wonder how he got the firmware chip in the first place since I see no means of having them send one to anyone.
AND swapping out chips is, shall we say far more problematic for the average user, than a card swap and for a variety of reasons, (ESD, pin orientation, manual dexterity and ALL of the added customer frustration when things go sideways).

Just say'n…

JJ

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #10,394 of 12,310
@Empyah installed the new firmware for his Yggdrasil A1 himself too

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #10,395 of 12,310
That is strange as the FAQ for this upgrade states…
"Wait a sec, this has to come back to you for upgrade? This isn't fair! I don't live in the USA!"
…"Due to the need for firmware and hardware updates, this upgrade must be done by Schiit, or by an authorized service center such as Electromod in the UK. Because of this, there is no self-install option, sorry. Yggdrasil Analog 1 cards will not be returned from this upgrade."

https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-analog-2

So I wonder how he got the firmware chip in the first place since I see no means of having them send one to anyone.
AND swapping out chips is, shall we say far more problematic for the average user, than a card swap and for a variety of reasons, (ESD, pin orientation, manual dexterity and ALL of the added customer frustration when things go sideways).

Just say'n…

JJ
In the GS FAQ, Schiit mentions that they sell the upgraded firmware - it comes in the form of a chip, as you've mentioned. It's not an easy task - and they make it patently clear that you've got to know what you're doing - but it's nice that users can opt to perform this upgrade on their own, as opposed to having to send the whole (massive) Yggy back to Schiit HQ for what is, comparatively speaking, an easy "fix". :)

1617801270665.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back