Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 1, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #9,706 of 12,335
Does anyone know how much a Unison USB card for the Yggdrasil is going to cost? Also I currently have the USB 5 installed on my Yggy A2. Is the Unison USB card going to simply replace the Gen 5 USB completely and render it redundant and useless, or would there be some kind of useful role some where for the USB 5 to play. I can sort of guess the answer to the second question, but I want a more reliable answer from those who have already custom installed the Unison on the Yggy A2. Thanks.

Sahmen

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #9,707 of 12,335
Does anyone know how much a Unison USB card for the Yggdrasil is going to cost? Also I currently have the USB 5 installed on my Yggy A2. Is the Unison USB card going to simply replace the Gen 5 USB completely and render it redundant and useless, or would there be some kind of useful role some where for the USB 5 to play. I can sort of guess the answer to the second question, but I want a more reliable answer from those who have already custom installed the Unison on the Yggy A2. Thanks.

Sahmen
The new USB card replaces the old one. The old one is no longer needed.

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #9,708 of 12,335
The new USB card replaces the old one. The old one is no longer needed.

Thanks! and do you know how much the Unison card for Yggy A2 is going to cost, when purchased and self-installed?

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #9,709 of 12,335
Thanks! and do you know how much the Unison card for Yggy A2 is going to cost, when purchased and self-installed?
We will all find out together when Schiit makes it available. :)

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #9,710 of 12,335
From Jason's latest chapter from Dec 30, 2019:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3673#post-15388698

(bold added)
  • "Unison USB for all. We’ll also be shipping Unison USB for all upgradable DACs in January. This means you’ll be able to get your Bifrost, Gungnir, or Yggdrasil upgraded to Unison USB. Bifrost and Yggdrasil do not require a trip back to the mothership or a service center. Gungnir needs to have its motherboard firmware changed, so it does have to come back to us, or to an authorized distributor. You’ll also see Unison USB on new production Gungnirs and Yggdrasils (probably with an option to go to Gen 5 for people using older versions of Windows.)
Both of these shouldn’t be too surprising; I’ve talked about these products before."

We don't know cost or when exactly it is available.
Presumably soon since already implemented and planned for new Yggdrasil DACs.

Jan 1, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #9,711 of 12,335
Before you jump in and replace the USB board in your Yggdrasil yourself do a search for instructions on how to upgrade to the previous GEN 5 USB. It is not a trivial process on a 25 pound Yggdrasil. For one of Schiit's techs, sure.

Jan 1, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #9,712 of 12,335
Before you jump in and replace the USB board in your Yggdrasil yourself do a search for instructions on how to upgrade to the previous GEN 5 USB. It is not a trivial process on a 25 pound Yggdrasil. For one of Schiit's techs, sure.
I'm happy with my setup as is, so will wait for months (or more) to let early adopters and reviews roll in.
I'm sure there will be much discussion when we know more from Schiit HQ.

Jan 1, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #9,713 of 12,335
The Unison USB board for Yggdrasil has already been extensively beta tested and the minor glitches found were fixed six months ago. If you use Windows you would need to upgrade to Windows 10 though.

Jan 1, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #9,714 of 12,335
Same here. more than happy with the sound. Not using USB now, no need to go for Unison just yet.
I have had mine for 3 years now updated early last year. I have enough into it where if I would make a change
you would take a beating on re-sale. They are only going for like 1900 so I have like 3k into it.
Too much out there to choose from. Just my way of looking at it all.

Jan 1, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #9,715 of 12,335
Same here. more than happy with the sound. Not using USB now, no need to go for Unison just yet.
I have had mine for 3 years now updated early last year. I have enough into it where if I would make a change
you would take a beating on re-sale. They are only going for like 1900 so I have like 3k into it.
Too much out there to choose from. Just my way of looking at it all.

What he said. Too happy with Dante-AES-Yggy to rush. I’ll get to hear it a bunch with the Seattle group.

I did spend some time with @atomicbob and his Bifrost2, which was terrific on his setup. Considering that for “traveling light” while Yggy sits warm at home.

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #9,717 of 12,335
I think the question is not about bugs and glitches but whether it's worth it over the Gen 5 USB.
I was an alpha and beta tester. In my opinion, yes it is.

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #9,718 of 12,335
I was an alpha and beta tester. In my opinion, yes it is.
Could you elaborate just a bit more or point me where it was discussed? Gen 5 USB was good for problematic USB sources (noise etc.). I don't have/use problematic USB sources. Gen 5 USB is quite good for me. How can Unison improve anything given the USB source and connection is not problematic?

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #9,719 of 12,335
Jan 3, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #9,720 of 12,335
Sure. I did quite a bit of research and found no cheaper alternative. In any case, it’s less then 10% of the total cost of the gear it connects.

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe the goldpoint is pcb based. Meaning if you have nice interconnectes then this switch will eventually passthrough thin coppers on the pcb hence negating the good qualities of your interconnects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back