Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 19, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #6,572 of 12,283
For those upgrading their Yggy, what are you planning will be the first recording you play on it, to gauge the SQ? Sonic memory is short, but what is your yardstick to check?

Given the need for re-establishing thermal equilibrium the first CD up might not be key. The last piece I heard before boxing up Yggy to ship back to Schiit was "Another Stoney Evening" by David Crosby and Graham Nash. This is a live recording done by Stephan Barncard, who engineered such classics as "If I Could Only Remember Ny Name," and "American Beauty," that beautifully captures the performers and also the ambient space of the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in LA. When this sounds better than before I'll know the mission has been accomplished, it just may take a few weeks.

Jan 19, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #6,573 of 12,283
What number were you in the queue?

I didn't receive a queue number, nor did I ask. Laura mentioned though (paraphrasing) it could be a day after they receive it before its "checked in" and that the upgrade work would take them approximately 5 business days.

Jan 19, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #6,574 of 12,283
I didn't receive a queue number, nor did I ask. Laura mentioned though (paraphrasing) it could be a day after they receive it before its "checked in" and that the upgrade work would take them approximately 5 business days.
If there is to be a queue it can not be known until after they receive your Yggy. I was told in my email there will be three contacts made with Schiit. The first one was the RMA... The next one I suppose will be seen after they receive my package. That should be the one with the queue.The third one will be to let us know when it was shipped back.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #6,575 of 12,283
In my case with sending my Yggy for the official update, the queue was the first notice. Was given the number 28 and told I would be waiting inline and would get a RA# notice to ship it to Schiit when my number was up. Also told, I would get a later notice when they recieved my Yggy, and another when the work was completed and shipped with tracking number.

Pretty sure you did not have to sit in the queue stage, as your “upgrade” was not initiated directly from the Schiit website.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #6,576 of 12,283
Has anyone had a chance to side by side Gen5 USB with analog 1 vs 2? $550 is a lot, but the hardware seems like a necessary upgrade given Yggy's greyish background.

We will have an a/b set up of two Yggy with analog 1 vs analog 2 at the Arizona headfi meet in February. Will get back to you. Going to be A/b ING using a Freya and XLR to a ragnorak.

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #6,577 of 12,283
Still loving my Yggy with gen 5 USB.
I've considered the DAVE in the past, and have the money in my "fun" account, but can't convince myself!

I honestly don't feel like I would gain much. I would probably gain more from saving it for another headphone.

Jan 19, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #6,579 of 12,283
Still loving my Yggy with gen 5 USB.
I've considered the DAVE in the past, and have the money in my "fun" account, but can't convince myself!

I honestly don't feel like I would gain much. I would probably gain more from saving it for another headphone.
Have never auditioned Chord Dave but u are paying much more for an improvement in source. If you already own a top end headamp, there is no point in getting a Dave given that it is likely the weakest link.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #6,582 of 12,283
Could anyone explain what "grey background" means? I keep hearing (reading) this term but I am not good in vague terms. Does it mean that there is some background noise when the recording is quiet?

I have that question also. I have two Yggys: one in a very clear speaker system and the other in a more modest HP system. In neither case does the sound appear "grey" to me. I would suspect associated equipment before thinking it was the Yggy. In fact with each change I make to lower background noise in my front end the sound only improves.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #6,584 of 12,283
I have that question also. I have two Yggys: one in a very clear speaker system and the other in a more modest HP system. In neither case does the sound appear "grey" to me. I would suspect associated equipment before thinking it was the Yggy. In fact with each change I make to lower background noise in my front end the sound only improves.

My suspicion is that the type of transparency you get with with the Yggy it might make someone's line noise... or computer noise... more obvious.

I have heard my transparent system with three other DAC's and have no clues as to what this grey sound they are hearing is.

Jan 20, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #6,585 of 12,283
Black background from my computer with gen 5 usb.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back