Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 8, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #5,836 of 12,283
Well, I have read some of those explanations, and can understand them somewhat in the abstract, but there are parts that still don't make too much sense to me, but maybe it is because I have no electric engineering expertise. Thanks for making the effort, though. I really appreciate it.

Okay, to prevent us from talking past each other, let's temporarily shelf the technical jargon about analogue signals, ones and zeros, perfect bits, electrical noises, and other such technicalities, and let's get to what is really getting my goat now, in plain lay man's jargon:

First the good, the bright, and the beautiful : I am enjoying the sonic impact of the Gen 5 usb on my yggy a lot--much, much, more than the Eitr with the Yggy, because the Eitr was making my Yggy click erratically and sometimes frequently--to almost distracting and annoying levels, during music playback, but also--more annoyingly--even when no music was playing... The USB 5 has no such "clicking" effect on the Yggy, so I can savor all its sonic blessings without any interferences, and those sonic blessings are far from negligible. The Yggy has been on for about 5 days now since it returned from the update service, and I like a lot of what I have heard so far...

Now for the confusing part... Both you and @earnmyturns seem to explain the main advantage of the Gen 5 USB as that of blocking electrical/analogue noises, providing "isolation" and allowing perfects bits/digitial ones and zeroes to pass through, or to be be converted by the Yggy to analogue signals... What I am not sure about is how that explains the idea according to which "nothing" which comes before Eitr/USB Gen 5 matters to the overall sound quality (that is if that, is indeed, what the claim means)... It is precisely that supposedly indifferent "nothing", which remains murky to me , and is getting my goat...

Incidentally, today, I made one small modification on the down stream side of the Yggy, and the difference in the overall sq was immediately noticeable, and palpable : I just replaced the energizing Meanwell SMPS power supply feeding the LPS-1 which in turn powers my ultrarendu with a Teradak 30W 9v power supply, and BOOM!, what do I get in the sound coming out of my Yggy and 2-channel system : better detail retrieval, better definition, better decay, blacker background (even though the ultrarendu's background sounded already black with the LPS-1, to the point where I didn't suspect it could possibly get any blacker)... In fact the music is sounding even better resolved than before, with finer details which sounded relatively recessed previously coming to the fore, better dynamics, and the entire frequency spectrum sounding more "holographic" and 3d... Mind you, this is a sonic difference one can reproduce simply by alternating the power supply units energizing the LPS-1 between the stock Meanwell SMPS and the Teradak 30W 9V linear power supply.... Without having tried it, I am sure one can detect another difference, were one to replace the LPS-1 itself feeding the Ultrarendu with the Meanwell SMPS, or the Oyaide Belden Starquad DC cable connecting the LPS-1 to the Ultrarendu with the stock DC cable that came with the LPS-1... These are not mere placebo delusional impressions, they can be demoed and repeated by simply swapping cables and or power supply units, and those demonstrable differences are what is not clear to me in the claim that nothing coming before the USB 5 or Eitr matters, in terms of the overall SQ results... That clalim may be about "perfect bits," ones and zeros, and the blocking of electrical noise, and isolation, but maybe those are not enough to explain everything about sound quality and its changes? Or maybe the USB 5/Eitr are coming up short and the claim "USB solved" was a bit premature? I do not know... I am not an expert, I I just know that there are still changes on the downstream side of the Eitr/Gen 5 usb that make noticeable differences in what one hears...

With all that said, I appreciate the effort you have made to explain things to me... Thanks. :)
I only reported what I've heard on my systems. Also there's a whole other set of issues such as power quality, ground loops, RFI, ... that could affect how a system sounds that has relatively little to do with the signal path itself. Given the design of the LPS-1, it's not technically likely that its powering supply has much influence on the USB output of the Ultrarendu, but who knows how the high-frequency noise from the Meanwell SMPS might be affecting other components via AC power side, crosstalk between poorly shielded cables, or any of the many other ways components can interact in a highly sensitive system. That's a reason I've been working to simplify my systems is that fewer components and fewer cables reduce the chance of unwanted interactions. That's what I observed when I replaced a more complicated setup with Aries>AES>Yggy, and I'm also noting good quality with less complication and lower cost with Allo USBridge>USB>Eitr>Holo Spring KTE 3.

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #5,837 of 12,283
When is the analog upgrade coming, is it going to be user serviceable like the gen5, will it be part of the gungnir as well and what will the price for it be? Someone said that it will require replacement of two of the boards which makes this seem like more of a redesign than just an addon board upgrade

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #5,838 of 12,283
When is the analog upgrade coming, is it going to be user serviceable like the gen5, will it be part of the gungnir as well and what will the price for it be? Someone said that it will require replacement of two of the boards which makes this seem like more of a redesign than just an addon board upgrade
Where did you hear about an analog upgrade? I ask because I was planning on buying one pretty soon, but may hold off due to shipping costs.

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #5,839 of 12,283
Where did you hear about an analog upgrade? I ask because I was planning on buying one pretty soon, but may hold off due to shipping costs.
It's apparently a rumour. Someone claimed they heard it and described it as being much better and described it as having better blackness which is what many people say yggy biggest weakness is. If that's true then when you stack it up against the dave, the yggy is incredibly good value. To be quite honest I could see this new analog board costing over a grand and it stil being good value. I'd rather pay $3k for a new yggy than $10k for a used dave. And since I'm Canadian, shipping is such a ****ing hassle. I'd be looking at LEAST $300 round trip for shipping, probably well over $350. Not to mention the cost of the analog board. I'm very curious as to how the new analog board is going to be implemented into the cost of the yggy. Will it be a $500+ addon similar to the Gungnir multibit? Will it be included as part of the new design? Either way means us owners of old units will need to pay for an upgrade, and if its NOT user serviceable than sending it in will be mandatory.
If I look at this as a "well the yggy is still only 1/3 the cost of a used dave" then I can stomach paying for a new unit even if the new analog board comes out later this year and I'm forced to pay another grand for it. But honestly I still think it's a little anti consumer. One of my friends described the situation to me quite well. He said that what schiit provides as an upgrade is still better than what chord or audio gd does, where they come out with a completely new product and devalue the owners of the last years model. I suppose this is true but a. I don't think chord or anyone releases replacements to their previous lines yearly, and b. Seems like schiit releases upgrades every 6 months. I hope this new analog board comes out middle of next year or so, otherwise I'm going to feel like a fool for not just waiting. But I want the Dac NOW... so yeah.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #5,842 of 12,283
I traced this rumor back to December 2016. It was probably about the USB Gen 5, not analogue boards.
This isn't a rumour that originated online. Someone was physically in california and had a chance to listen to the new analog boards that schiit was working on. Apparently these boards will be available for the gungnir as well.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #5,843 of 12,283
This isn't a rumour that originated online. Someone was physically in california and had a chance to listen to the new analog boards that schiit was working on. Apparently these boards will be available for the gungnir as well.
Well then might as well wait just a bit to see what is in the pipeline and besides may just pay off my skiff first to eliminate debt. Very interesting development to say the least...

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #5,844 of 12,283
Well then might as well wait just a bit to see what is in the pipeline and besides may just pay off my skiff first to eliminate debt. Very interesting development to say the least...
I already said before how I feel about all this but I think it's still worth it to get the yggy as it is now. You could be waiting half a year or more for this new board. And if you're american, the cost of shipping will be far far less then international. As a Canadian I definitely questioned should I get it or not but I think if you consider the value you're getting its still a hell of a lot better a deal then a chord dave which seems to be the only real competitor to schiit yggdrisal, and that dac is 5 figures.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #5,845 of 12,283

Unsubstantiated rumor from a new member... Seems legit. I'd base my purchasing decisions off it.

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #5,846 of 12,283
Rumor may be nothing more than that but right now working on debt reduction, crypto investment, stuff like that. I do definitely plan on purchasing an Yggy in the near future but not certain about an amp yet. I do kinda doubt the veracity of this rumor though...

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #5,847 of 12,283
Unsubstantiated rumor from a new member... Seems legit. I'd base my purchasing decisions off it.

agreed. some random person making a random unsubstantiated comment. this subject should be dropped -- right now it's simply the internet running a muck.

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #5,848 of 12,283
If anyone is worried as to whether there is any substance to the rumor, it is always easy to PM @Jason Stoddard and/or Mike Moffat (@Baldr ) who are regulars on these threads for their input. They may not want to disclose sensitive info about upcoming ventures on open forums or threads, but things might different in private e-mail. My point is, there is no harm in taking that chance...

Personally, I feel no urgent need to find out about the upcoming analogue board, if indeed there is one. Otherwise, I would have asked Jason and Mike.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #5,849 of 12,283
Personally, I feel no urgent need to find out about the upcoming analogue board,

That's nice, except some of us live international, and shipping to schiit for an upgrade board would be a sizeable expense. Not to mention the fact I haven't bought it yet and neither have a few other people who have recently posted by the looks of it. I guarantee you if I emailed Mike moffat about it he'd ignore the email with a "he wouldn't have bought one anyway" sort of adage mindset to it. Which he's certainly had with other customers he knows nothing about.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #5,850 of 12,283
I am thinking of upgrading my Perfectwave but wonder how much of an improvement it might be. Has anyone ever compared the Yggy to the PS Audio Perfectwave II? I have struggled with this decision for too long and thought I would get some input. If so, what would you say are the audio differences between the two DAC's? I have searched and not found any direct comparisons.
TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back