Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 21, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #2,912 of 12,398
Will let the yggy continue to power up for 3 days..and will compare to the sound produced = nirvana..

Eager to wait for that to happened.

Regards,
Jonathan

I don't know if it was dirty power at my place or just the settling of the oscillators and other precision devices, but there was a time when it sounded really harsh.  Then a day later it was perfectly fine.  That's the joy of having precision electronics.  Turn it on and leave it on.  I found that it made my speaker system jump up several levels as well.  Enjoy!

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,913 of 12,398
jfoxvol

Thanks a lot bro for the opinions and experience...

Using the lcd x really impress me = " Wow Factor".

Switching to the he1000..hmm..quite ok..

Is it the incompatibility..??

My house power also is not clean as there is times that my mdac3 sound terrible..

I think it is the EMI???

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,914 of 12,398
  This sounds like the exact problem I have.  I powered down the yggy and pulled all the input cables to move it to a new rack.  Powered it up 10 minutes later and everything worked fine except for the USB input.  My windows 7 PC would give me a message saying usb device not recognized and malfunctioning.  Both optical and coax (RCA) spdif inputs still work flawlessly.

I tried multiple cables, ports and power downs of both the pc and yggy with the same result.  I went as far as to power down overnight and remove and  reinstall schiit drivers.  The pc still finds an unrecognized USB device and no schiit DAC is available.  Tried it on my PC laptop with the same result.  I'm quite sure the USB module is shot.

I had to head for work out of town for a month so I figured I'd leave it powered down for that time and give it one last shot when I get back before setting up the RMA with Schiit.

Received RMA and shipped it back yesterday.  UPS ground from Seattle
$78.85.  Ouch.  Oh well, what we do for love.  I have one of the Yggy's
that originally shipped with the non-spec 50 ohm bnc connector so there
is some consulation that Schiit while doing any service will replace it
with the 75 ohm connector per spec.  Probably no audio difference
but might be helpfull if I ever sell.

gad-

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,915 of 12,398

I don't know if it was dirty power at my place...

"Dirty power" is one of the banes of our hobby. I would not advocate for some of the truly expensive solutions (that cost like a car, to quote Jason), but there are reasonably priced products that improve a system across the board. Often times people are upgrading for better sound, and would do better cleaning their power instead of buying new electronics.

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #2,920 of 12,398
For you Tidal users under settings which do you prefer? System default or Schiitt Audio Gen3 USB and do you use exclusive mode under the latter choice?
I can't make up my mind on preference although I tend to go with Schitt Audio gen3 and exclusive mode unchecked so i get higher resolution mode than the 44hz Tidal resolution.    Do you think by doing this and up sampling via the Yggi  that I'm degrading the native 44hz of tidal?

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #2,921 of 12,398
For you Tidal users under settings which do you prefer? System default or Schiitt Audio Gen3 USB and do you use exclusive mode under the latter choice?
I can't make up my mind on preference although I tend to go with Schitt Audio gen3 and exclusive mode unchecked so i get higher resolution mode than the 44hz Tidal resolution.    Do you think by doing this and up sampling via the Yggi  that I'm degrading the native 44hz of tidal?

Yggy processes everything at native sample rates and does not upsample.

I'm real happy with Tidal 16/44 streaming via Audirvana (in hog mode to minimize OS X interferences). Not as good as my 16/44 AIFF rips, but so close that it doesn't matter for exploring music.

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2,922 of 12,398
Nope. Yggy upsamples because of Schiit's closed-form filter. Metrum OTOH doesn't have any upsampling filters at all.

Jul 23, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #2,924 of 12,398
I think it up samples because the rate light changes when you go back and forth on the Yggy

Nope. That's just the sample rate that Yggy's being fed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back