Schiit Wyrd - how to tell if it's working?
Apr 15, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 18
Were you having issues with the digital files not getting to your dac before? Clipping and parts of the music missing? Either the signal gets there or it doesnt.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 18
Music sounded fine before just thought it might sound even better with this type of product. It's fairly inexpensive so I figured why not give it a try...
It does nothing to the sound. There is no sound passing through it. You are getting a digital signal of data through usp and it either gets to the Dac or it doesnt. There is no was a usb cable or something like this can do anything for the sound unless you have a bad ground and it somehow fixes it. Then it would just have an effect on distortion and noise from the ground.

Apr 15, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for the clarification! So who's the target audience of such product?
People that dont understand how it works or someone with faulty equipment.

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 18
Hmm... ...this thread must be an example of trolling... :thinking:

--- "Just bought some snake oil. I was wondering if it is really working."
--- "What do you need snake oil for? Do you own alligator boots that require maintenance or what?"
--- "No, the seller said it makes music sound better. It was cheap so I bought it."
--- "Dude, it doesn't make music sound better. It does nothing to the sound."
--- "So if that's the case, to who is snake oil targeted to?"
--- "Gullible audiophools and people who own certain types of reptile boots."

--- "LOL, I guess I belong to the first category. :)"

Apr 15, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 18
The best way to improve sound is to identify a problem, come up with an idea of how to correct it, try it, and then check after to see if the problem has been solved. If you just randomly try stuff, you’ll end up with random results and get nowhere. If you can still return it, do that.

Apr 15, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 18
i thought the purpose of this device is to clean the signal from a possibly noisy usb port and output a cleaner signal to my dac. or maybe my ears is just not sensitive enough to pick up any difference.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 18
i thought the purpose of this device is to clean the signal from a possibly noisy usb port and output a cleaner signal to my dac. or maybe my ears is just not sensitive enough to pick up any difference.
There is no sound until the dac gets the data and converts it. Either it gets there or it doesn't. There is no way to change the sound after it leaves the computer and before it gets to the dac.

Apr 16, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 18
From what I can tell Wyrd could be useful if you are using a bus-powered synchronous USB DAC on a circuit with audible jitter and/or power/ground loop issues.

AFAIK, if you are having USB issues worth fixing you will most likely notice it. There are various technical imperfections that can arise in USB Audio but which tend not to be audible except in extreme/outlier cases. Of course you can make an entire hobby out of chasing technical perfection, though in that case you probably wouldn't be on USB anyway.

If you want to know more, this blog post is instructive- http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/08/musings-demo-why-bits-are-bits-lets-not.html

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 18
From what I can tell Wyrd could be useful if you are using a bus-powered synchronous USB DAC on a circuit with audible jitter and/or power/ground loop issues.

AFAIK, if you are having USB issues worth fixing you will most likely notice it. There are various technical imperfections that can arise in USB Audio but which tend not to be audible except in extreme/outlier cases. Of course you can make an entire hobby out of chasing technical perfection, though in that case you probably wouldn't be on USB anyway.

If you want to know more, this blog post is instructive- http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/08/musings-demo-why-bits-are-bits-lets-not.html
Thank you for such in-depth interesting read!

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 18

I don't think there's ever been a piece of home audio gear sold that had audible jitter. Jitter is a hoodoo designed to get audiophiles to pay extra for sound they can't hear.

Ground loops can be solved by tracking down the source of the problem and running a wire from the problematic component to earth. You don't need expensive electronics for that.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 18
I don't think there's ever been a piece of home audio gear sold that had audible jitter. Jitter is a hoodoo designed to get audiophiles to pay extra for sound they can't hear.

Ground loops can be solved by tracking down the source of the problem and running a wire from the problematic component to earth. You don't need expensive electronics for that.
I agree with that, was trying to find a reason it could have actually done anything. If yiu have a ground look fix it or buy better made gear. Don't buy something like the wyrd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back