Schiit Windows 10 USB problem
Dec 18, 2020 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

xmike1

New Head-Fier
Im trying to install Bifrost Multibit to Windows 10 via USB. Windows will not recognize the dac.

When I connect I get error in device manager: Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failure). Since it doesnt recokgnize it, when I try to install the drivers from Schiit via the setup.exe file, I get prompted to "Please connect CMEDIA USB 2.0 Device" but it ultimately terminates.

I have down the following:
1. Tried on another windows 10 computer. I was successful in having this machine recognize the dac but I was not able to run the .exe setup as normal (code 10 error), instead I had to manually insert the driver .inf file and that appeared to fix the problem on that machine..... However, I cannot manually insert the .inf file on the other machine (the one that I use for playback) since it does not initially recognize the dac.

2. I have tried other ports, uninstalling everything in device manager and rebooting, I disabled power settings essentially everything listed on the generic troubleshooting tips on the schiit website.

I see posts online from others with the same problem with windows 10 and schiit products. However, none of the posts have a resolution. I am hoping this problem is familar enough with somebody here where I might find a resolution to get this device back up and running but I bet thats unlikely too.

If you had similar issue with the Schiit products, please reply I sure would appreciate it.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 8
Im trying to install Bifrost Multibit to Windows 10 via USB. Windows will not recognize the dac.

When I connect I get error in device manager: Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failure). Since it doesnt recokgnize it, when I try to install the drivers from Schiit via the setup.exe file, I get prompted to "Please connect CMEDIA USB 2.0 Device" but it ultimately terminates.
It happens as Windows has its own Class 2 device already installed. It is not only problem with Schiit. A trick is to plug in device only when prompted by the installer or after installation is finished.

For now you must unplug device, uninstall Schiit drivers, then reboot computer. Do not plug in a device yet before installator ask for!

Another cause is when Schiit drivers are incorrectly signed with a version number that makes Windows think that these are outdated and immediately replaces it with built-in drivers.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 8
Its not quite that problem.

Similarly, I was able to overwrite the windows usbaudio2.sys on one machine that initially saw the schiit. Simply by installing .inf file manually (have disc option). However, I cannot do that with the other machine as it does not initially detect it.

Funny, I just plugged the schiit into a 20 year old XP laptop and it immediately detected it and I was able to install the driver no problem to it. Too bad the laptop is so old and noisy, i would just use it.

In any case, its certainly a a windows 10 problem or at the least specific to this one computer.... does the fact I can manipulate it to work on one windows 10 machine and it worked without problem on XP indicate its a computer problem and not an issue with the device?

I think I am going to try to revert back to older operating system.

Im very frustrated.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Its not quite that problem.

Similarly, I was able to overwrite the windows usbaudio2.sys on one machine that initially saw the schiit. Simply by installing .inf file manually (have disc option). However, I cannot do that with the other machine as it does not initially detect it.
It is why you failed. You plug a device before installation is completed, so please don't complain. Case closed.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 8
The device should be seen in device manager upon inserting the usb regardless if you have a driver or not.

"unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)" . Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). A USB port reset request failed.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 8

I have down the following:
1. Tried on another windows 10 computer. I was successful in having this machine recognize the dac but I was not able to run the .exe setup as normal (code 10 error), instead I had to manually insert the driver .inf file and that appeared to fix the problem on that machine..... However, I cannot manually insert the .inf file on the other machine (the one that I use for playback) since it does not initially recognize the dac.

2. I have tried other ports, uninstalling everything in device manager and rebooting, I disabled power settings essentially everything listed on the generic troubleshooting tips on the schiit website.

I see posts online from others with the same problem with windows 10 and schiit products. However, none of the posts have a resolution. I am hoping this problem is familar enough with somebody here where I might find a resolution to get this device back up and running but I bet thats unlikely too.

If you had similar issue with the Schiit products, please reply I sure would appreciate it.

*edit and nevermind. I see you did this. I guess you could try another usb port but the device should at the very least show as _____ in device manager. And, if thats thecase you can roll back or uninstall and then refresh connected devices.

If you havent already extract the .exe with 7zip or winrar and manually install it that way in device config.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 8
thank you but I tried inserting the schiit "cmuacwo.inf" file manually for that device but it says the folder I specifified doesnt contain a compatible software driver for the device.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back