Schiit Vali or Audio-gd Fun?
Mar 8, 2014 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Egaku

Head-Fier
Has anyone compared the two? I'm looking for something that accentuates the vocals, but doesn't introduce sibilance.

I'm loving my HD600s with my audio-gd right now, I'm just curious about the tube sound.

Are there ANY cons of the Vali at all? I read about the relay problem on the Asgard, but it seems they have fixed everything.

Someone is selling a Vali in my area, and I was wondering if it was worth the buy.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 6
The main problems people have with Vali are the microphonics and the high noise floor. The thing rings for 20-30seconds when you turn it on. If you hit it or movi it while it is on it will ring. That said, i used one for several months and it didn't really bother me. The other problem, the high noise floor, makes makes Vali unsuitable for IEMs or high sensitivity cans. Other than that, I loved it, and those "problems" didn't really bother me in my time using it. (For reference i was using Grado SR80is and Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohms with it)

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 6
Is it a high circuit gain that results in noise/hiss?
If so, is it hard to change gain resistors?

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 6
  The main problems people have with Vali are the microphonics and the high noise floor. The thing rings for 20-30seconds when you turn it on. If you hit it or movi it while it is on it will ring. That said, i used one for several months and it didn't really bother me. The other problem, the high noise floor, makes makes Vali unsuitable for IEMs or high sensitivity cans. Other than that, I loved it, and those "problems" didn't really bother me in my time using it. (For reference i was using Grado SR80is and Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohms with it)

Was wondering: can you say that the DT990 250ohm didn't produce any noise with the Vali? I've considered getting that headphone to complement my HD600s, but as the impedance is 50 less than the Sennheiser, I was wondering if any hiss/ringing is audible during normal operation.

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 6
  Is it a high circuit gain that results in noise/hiss?
If so, is it hard to change gain resistors?

Im not 100 percent sure, but i think part of it is circuit gain and part of it is just tube noise. I honestly don't know about changing the resistor.

Was wondering: can you say that the DT990 250ohm didn't produce any noise with the Vali? I've considered getting that headphone to complement my HD600s, but as the impedance is 50 less than the Sennheiser, I was wondering if any hiss/ringing is audible during normal operation.

The DT990 was pretty much silent at normal operating volume (assuming Vali wasn't bumped or just turned on), but there was some noise as you turned up the volume. However, it had to get into potentially damaging volume levels before the noise was really audible. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 6
  The DT990 was pretty much silent at normal operating volume (assuming Vali wasn't bumped or just turned on), but there was some noise as you turned up the volume. However, it had to get into potentially damaging volume levels before the noise was really audible. 

That's reassuring, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back