Schiit Vali 3 : Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #121 of 816
I for one think the piety has a way more stereotypical “tubey” sound than the vali 3, but then again I am the one impression here that believes the vali 3 is extremely dry and bright. I dont see a reason to pick it up over a normal magni if you are looking for something warm, wide and tubey, I actually find it to have more glare and harshness in the treble than a magni+ (which I rather like as a low cost solid state amp).

After hearing most of the Schiit range, I believe the Asgard 3 is by far the warmest and softest amp in the lineup.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #122 of 816
I for one think the piety has a way more stereotypical “tubey” sound than the vali 3, but then again I am the one impression here that believes the vali 3 is extremely dry and bright. I dont see a reason to pick it up over a normal magni if you are looking for something warm, wide and tubey, I actually find it to have more glare and harshness in the treble than a magni+ (which I rather like as a low cost solid state amp).

After hearing most of the Schiit range, I believe the Asgard 3 is by far the warmest and softest amp in the lineup.
Thank you for your comment, That is what i thought as well after reading some other threads on the net and you are not the only one who thinks that. I will get both ! My Vali 2 must be in between the 2 amps in sounds, it will be a change.

I'm in Canada, so testing Schiit product and send it back, cost too much money, The shipping cost and brokerage fees are 50$ for a Schiit unit and will cost me 30 $ for shipping back. That's why i asked a lot of questions.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #123 of 816
I don't have Vali 3 but I did have Vali 2+ back then, then later acquired Piety.

I'm not sure how much has changed on Vali 2+ to Vali 3, but Vali 2+ was slightly on the thin and bright side and not super tubey.

In contrast Piety do have a bit more of your stereotypical warm tube sound. Funny enough I feel like Lyr 3 would actually be a more logical "upgrade" from Piety. Where as Pietus Maximus has a different sound.

Again it depending on how much has changed from Vali 2+ to Vali 3. But there is a chance they might have quite different sound signature between Piety and Vali 3.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #124 of 816
A 'voltage on the rails' increase in Vali 3 from 60 to 100 would certainly augur well for tube performance. Add to that such upgrades as Raytheon CK5670, RCA Command 5670, WE 396A ... 🤔🤪

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #125 of 816
A 'voltage on the rails' increase in Vali 3 from 60 to 100 would certainly augur well for tube performance. Add to that such upgrades as Raytheon CK5670, RCA Command 5670, WE 396A ... 🤔🤪
It's got me thinking about it. I would like to step up from my Vali 2++ and was considering the Lyr+. I want to see if the Valhalla 3 can handle low impedance headphones. But the Vali 3 might be all that I need. I have too much free time on my hands!

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #126 of 816
It's got me thinking about it. I would like to step up from my Vali 2++ and was considering the Lyr+. I want to see if the Valhalla 3 can handle low impedance headphones. But the Vali 3 might be all that I need. I have too much free time on my hands!
I am thinking about Vali 3 as well. For the price, why not? Only one tube at a time! And I have a variety of 5670, 2C51, 396A ...

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #127 of 816
I am thinking about Vali 3 as well. For the price, why not? Only one tube at a time! And I have a variety of 5670, 2C51, 396A ...
Me too. I have quite a nice stash of WE396A. . .

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #128 of 816
What he said!

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #129 of 816
.... Veni, vidi, vali III .... 🤣 .... I'm in! This will be fun! 😆

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #130 of 816
.... Veni, vidi, vali III .... 🤣 .... I'm in! This will be fun! 😆
Good for you ! Can you tell us , your impressions, how it sounds, is tube rolling any relevant ? Is changing the tube, give a more warmish, distorted, tubey sound, ? Cause with the stock tube from other owners, it's seems really bright and dry even more than a Magni. Is it finally just a Vali 2 ++ sound on steroid, very clean, no much distortions, and tube rolling not really effective ?
After thoughts i put my Vali 3 order on Standby, cause maybe it's not for me, if anyone can't tell me that placing a WE 396e or equivalent, will bring a more tubey warmish distorted sound to the table than the last version, i don't find it worth it.
The E serie of my Grado are already bright sounding, don't need something dry and bright like the Vali 2 + ++ on top of that. I'm in Canada so can't return to Schiit, it if i don't like it.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #131 of 816
The only thing we know of it by now, is by Hofy who told us that the "Head stage" as improve a lot from the previous version. And some who has Mid-Bassy oriented headphones, like the "Grado Hemp", or high impedance HP, they really enjoy the combo. And some speculations, that the new rail 100 V should " augur well for tube performance ". but what it really means, that i would like to know ... in what way the Vali 3 sound better than the last versions ? Is it just a question of more power ? Thank you for your infos .

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #132 of 816
The only thing we know of it by now, is by Hofy who told us that the "Head stage" as improve a lot from the previous version. And some speculations, that the new rail 100 V should " augur well for tube performance ". but what it really means, that i would like to know ... in what way ? Thank you for your infos .
I will be able to tell you more once I get the tubes and adapters I have ordered.

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #134 of 816
I will be able to tell you more once I get the tubes and adapters I have ordered.
Thank you, it will be really appreciate, I'm sure you will see a difference from the stock one, but i begin to doubt that you won't feel the tubbiness of the high grade tubes and could telling them apart... maybe a miracle happens from the Vali 2 2+ 2++.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #135 of 816
I have the Vali 2 and many hi-grade tubes and i never could tell them appart except the stock tube. It never really brings Tubey sound , only distorted sparky highs and soundstage. It's been report, that the Vali 2 + ++ is even worst in that regards, less distorted, less tubey. the Vali 2 is even more laid-back sounding than + ++.
Was only a placebo effect for me, blind a/b testing with my son, i never could tell if the We 396e was different than the others.

Attachments

• IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back