Schiit Vali 3 : Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #31 of 537
i mean it is awfully cheeky to be directed to a source and say you prefer someone else sum it up for you because you can't be bothered reading through said material.

not for nothing but that's how information gets jumbled. who wants their bits and bobs secondary or tertiary to the source?

to each their own. just taking the piss out mate... never any harmful intentions on my part. cheers!

my advice if you want a neat summation of the amp, check out the product page and read through the specs/faqs yeah. they keep it pretty concise there...

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #32 of 537
A fresh piece of Schiit!

TSSS3850.jpg

Collaborative project from The Antlers, Bing & Ruth, & Port St. Willow.

Peter Silberman, Baritone Guitar & Synth.

David Moore, Rhodes & Farfisa.

Nicholas Principe, Drums & Synth.

holy cable adapters batman... is that 6.3 to 3.5 to 4.4?

either way - good looking amp, i think mine is arriving tomorrow!

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #33 of 537
holy cable adapters batman... is that 6.3 to 3.5 to 4.4?

either way - good looking amp, i think mine is arriving tomorrow!
Haha yeah, originally ordered 4.4 to 2.5 but was sent 4.4 to 3.5, refunded and told to keep it. Worked out at the end as using it more now after getting 'Piety' last year. Got rid of my Headphones but then fell back down that rabbit hole. Have a few 4.4mm cables... as thats my first Audiophile love, IEMs + DAP.

Nice! Looking forward on others perspective of this little gem.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #35 of 537
Ordered 17th 09:20, shipped 18th arrived 20th. FedEx Priority, was impressed. Top it off wasn’t charged any duty fees- got lucky.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #36 of 537
Arrived today, 4 hours in... tasted with Solaris 2020 first, running using preout on the desktop speakers (Kanto TUK). Compared to 'Piety',-'Vali' has that nice clean bite, a suddle lift, more on the neutral presentation, holographic, airy instrument placement.

Tube rolling within a couple weeks... 1950s GE 5670 5-STAR 3 Mica Black plate & mix of 6 (Philips, Hit Ray, Fleetwood, Sylvania, Westinhousing, GE) 6CG7 / 6FQ7 tubes on the way.

How is the noise floor with the Solaris ?

The Solaris pick up noise on even pretty quiet amplifiers, hard to imagine the Vali 3 not having a decent bit of hiss.

I might be keen on a Vali 3 if it is quiet with IEM without IEMatch.

Thank you

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #37 of 537
No Vali for me today. Still shows somewhere between Texas and Wisconsin.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #38 of 537
I can't get past the lengths of his creative writing. There's too much fat in his prose, and not enough meat.

I tend to enjoy it actually, I think he's trying to tell a story from his point of view describing his thought process. Like if you were running a Jason simulator, this is how you'd develop Vali 3. :joy:

But I know what you mean, from time to time it can get too long and too technical and hard to follow.

my advice if you want a neat summation of the amp, check out the product page and read through the specs/faqs yeah. they keep it pretty concise there...

https://www.schiit.com/products/vali3

I do agree, the FAQ page do sum it up nicely and is easy to follow. But essentially:

What’s the big deal about Vali 3, then?
The big deal is the 100V on the plate of the tube. Tubes like voltage. They run better, with higher gain and more linearity, at higher voltages. That’s why it was a big deal when Vali 2 went to 60V from 45V, and it’s a much bigger deal that Vali 3 is now 100V.

Why is all this voltage important?
Again: Gain. Linearity. Performance. A lot of affordable tube amps run with 48V or 30V or 24V or even 12V, which really isn’t going to get the best out of the tube. 100V is serious. 100V is what Lyr 3 and Lyr+ use. It allows us to use some very interesting tubes, and use them well.

Is higher plate voltage the only difference in Vali 3?
There are a ton of small tweaks relating to optimizing performance for the higher gain, and a completely different layout with better signal path, and a totally new chassis that looks wayyy better and has much better ventilation so it runs a lot cooler…so yeah, a few more things.

And the most important piece of information:

You guys are nuts!
Absolutely, most definitely. Thank you.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #39 of 537
I tend to enjoy it actually, I think he's trying to tell a story from his point of view describing his thought process. Like if you were running a Jason simulator, this is how you'd develop Vali 3. :joy:

But I know what you mean, from time to time it can get too long and too technical and hard to follow.

https://www.schiit.com/products/vali3

I do agree, the FAQ page do sum it up nicely and is easy to follow. But essentially:

What’s the big deal about Vali 3, then?
The big deal is the 100V on the plate of the tube. Tubes like voltage. They run better, with higher gain and more linearity, at higher voltages. That’s why it was a big deal when Vali 2 went to 60V from 45V, and it’s a much bigger deal that Vali 3 is now 100V.

Why is all this voltage important?
Again: Gain. Linearity. Performance. A lot of affordable tube amps run with 48V or 30V or 24V or even 12V, which really isn’t going to get the best out of the tube. 100V is serious. 100V is what Lyr 3 and Lyr+ use. It allows us to use some very interesting tubes, and use them well.

Is higher plate voltage the only difference in Vali 3?
There are a ton of small tweaks relating to optimizing performance for the higher gain, and a completely different layout with better signal path, and a totally new chassis that looks wayyy better and has much better ventilation so it runs a lot cooler…so yeah, a few more things.

And the most important piece of information:

You guys are nuts!
Absolutely, most definitely. Thank you.

Just checked and mine is Out For Delivery.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #40 of 537
How is the noise floor with the Solaris ?

The Solaris pick up noise on even pretty quiet amplifiers, hard to imagine the Vali 3 not having a decent bit of hiss.

I might be keen on a Vali 3 if it is quiet with IEM without IEMatch.

Thank you
Low gain betweeen 9-12 on the knob. Handled well, didn't notice any terrible hiss. Will roll through few other IEMs by next week and report back if any decent hiss detectable. I had target volume level -14 LUFS on Roon, usually start at -25 and go from there with IEMs.

Tried tracking down a iEMatch, coudn't find one, would that be similar to doing target volume leveling on Roon?

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #41 of 537
Vali 3 holding down the fort while my Mjolnir 3 is in for repairs

6AAD5696-46B4-4D73-A803-87B1E679FBE7_1_102_o.jpeg

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #42 of 537
Low gain betweeen 9-12 on the knob. Handled well, didn't notice any terrible hiss. Will roll through few other IEMs by next week and report back if any decent hiss detectable. I had target volume level -14 LUFS on Roon, usually start at -25 and go from there with IEMs.

Tried tracking down a iEMatch, coudn't find one, would that be similar to doing target volume leveling on Roon?

Thanks

IEMatch attenuates the volume so you have more adjustment range but also adjusts impedances in and out. The hiss disappears in all but the worst cases but some IEM, my Solaris included, do change frequency response due to the increased output impedance, at least on the 4.4mm one. I actually prefer the sound of the Solaris with an IEMatch in line or on an iFi device like the Gryphon that has it built in, the bass reduces just a touch which I prefer generally.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #43 of 537
USPS has pretty terrible tracking updates for me - mine shows delivering today but still sitting in the initial distribution center in TX

Haha yeah, originally ordered 4.4 to 2.5 but was sent 4.4 to 3.5, refunded and told to keep it.
I have a ddhifi 2.5 to 4.4 for my quidelix5k - as i own exactly zero cans with 2.5 but 4 or 5 with the 4.4 (you practically need a degree to understand all this nonsense!)

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #44 of 537
USPS has pretty terrible tracking updates for me - mine shows delivering today but still sitting in the initial distribution center in TX

I have a ddhifi 2.5 to 4.4 for my quidelix5k - as i own exactly zero cans with 2.5 but 4 or 5 with the 4.4 (you practically need a degree to understand all this nonsense!)
That's how mine was yesterday, should show up tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back