Schiit Vali 3 : Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #167 of 938
You know when you have gone too Headfi 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Well here I am comparing the Vali 2++ against the Vali 3.

Mojo 2 as dac as two outputs.
Two Audioquest 3.5 adapters.
Two Kimber KCAG rca cables.
Only problem is can only find one WE396A valve.
In the Vali 2++ is a RCA.

Footnote (1) the Vali 3 has been used for 3-4 days as a preamp in my main system.
(2) I haven’t heard the stock valve.
It’s still in its box.

Volume matched best I can by ear.
Headphones used Sennheiser HD800S and a few pairs of diy Gradoish headphones.

First thing that struck me on the 3 was the lack of noise floor.
Its dead quiet.
This amp isn’t all slow and mushy like old valve amps.
It’s clean , clear open and detailed.
Lovely note decay .
Excellent sense of timing with a decent sound stage.
Stage depth and height are both good while bass not the deepest in the world never bleeds into the midrange.
Nothing ever sounds pushed or forced.

Vali 2++
Bigger bolder sound.
Has less separation and slightly smaller sound stage.
Bass has more over hang and a slower presentation.
More self generated noise.

I have swapped the tubes back and forth and pretty much come to the same conclusions.

Verdict.

Both are excellent especially the Vali 3 for 150 quid and 5 years warranty.
You can’t go wrong with either.

Well done Schiit.
Ohh thank you for your review, can i ask you to comment more on what you observe on the treble side ? Is it dryer and brighter than the Vali 2 ++

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #168 of 938
Ohh thank you for your review, can i ask you to comment more on what you observe on the treble side ? Is it dryer and brighter than the Vali 2 ++
I wouldn’t say it’s brighter but of course it depends on what valve you’re using.
It’s certainly a cleaner presentation.

It doesn’t have as much bass bloom so maybe that might make it appear brighter?

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #169 of 938
I wouldn’t say it’s brighter but of course it depends on what valve you’re using.
It’s certainly a cleaner presentation.

It doesn’t have as much bass bloom so maybe that might make it appear brighter?
Thank you for your comment. Last question, about Tube Rolling is it more revelant than the 2++ , or it is closely as subtle ?

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #170 of 938
You make a good point but let me simplify it some. They don't play together well. My Vali 2++ sounds fine going through a Modi Multibit 2. I would think the same would hold true with the Vali 3.
Not the same thing, that is a combination of a Dac with a Amp , it’s not a pre amp with a amp. The synergie is different.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #171 of 938
I think if I have to worry about sonic constraint on a budget amp; it's already doomed.

I could just go back to a better tube amp if Schiit's own DAC card is my bottle neck. I'm still going to try with more DACs, just I'm not really sure what I should be doing? A Modi would be either multibit or ESS from schiit and I assume that would be one of the most common pairing with the budget amp.
I don't think the DAC card is the bottleneck. I think it's the Pietus as a preamp. It is known to color sound.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #173 of 938
I have not heard a Pietus Maximus myself, but for what it's worth, if the pre-amp outputs are coloring the sound in the way that people generally describe that amp, I think it would actually be an improvement to what I heard from my Vali 3 direct from my DACs outputs. It needs a little flavor, even from a Yggy.

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #174 of 938
I have not heard a Pietus Maximus myself, but for what it's worth, if the pre-amp outputs are coloring the sound in the way that people generally describe that amp, I think it would actually be an improvement to what I heard from my Vali 3 direct from my DACs outputs. It needs a little flavor, even from a Yggy.
I’m feeding my Crack w/ speedball from the pre-amp of my Pietus, and for what it’s worth I think it sounds heavenly.

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #175 of 938
I’m feeding my Crack w/ speedball from the pre-amp of my Pietus, and for what it’s worth I think it sounds heavenly.
Feeding 2 colors amps back to back , it’s a hit and miss, can complete each other or not. My Vali 2 pre out in my Leak 130, and vice versa, does not sound good at all. And the Leak it not what we call a Color sound integrated, just a tiny touch.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #176 of 938
Listening to the new Vali 3 now. Right out of the box, with the tube not even broken in, I can tell this is a stone cold winner! I have the Jotenheim 2 also. It's possible the Jot2 could be leaving. I won't know for sure for about a month or so.
IMG_4151.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #177 of 938
OK, I made it home through the snowstorm. I decided to run through all of the 5inch amps. I started with the Vali3 just as kind of a base line then moved through all the candidates before finally coming back to the Vali3.
The Heretic was next. Wide but flat soundstage and instruments sounded a bit mixed.
Next was the Magni+. The soundstage was the same width as the Heretic but has some depth. Instruments had some separation now.
Time for the Piety. Wider soundstage and good instrument separation. Smooth presentation.
Vali3 with Oktyabr 6N3P-EV. Widest soundstage and real depth and height. Buttery smooth.
Think of the Piety as a tube amp that you are stuck with just one tube, forever. The Vali is fully adjustable depending on what tube you put in it. It can certainly sound worse with a less than stellar tube. But with better tubes it can really shine. Now I am really itching for those tubes and adapters to get here. I do remember that the Raytheon 6SN7 I have as being the best sounding in my original Vali2.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #178 of 938
Just got the Vali 3 here today..

Will do a review soon and post..

Vali 3 with CV4013 Sweedish Ericsson Co LTD.
Vali 2++ with JJ ECC82 via adapter.

The Vali 2++ with the ECC 82's with high impedance (HD 650) are very very good.
Will test with the Vali 3 once its broken for a few days.

Lovely amp, cute as all heck!
Alex

1712100821899.png

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #179 of 938
OK, I made it home through the snowstorm. I decided to run through all of the 5inch amps. I started with the Vali3 just as kind of a base line then moved through all the candidates before finally coming back to the Vali3.
The Heretic was next. Wide but flat soundstage and instruments sounded a bit mixed.
Next was the Magni+. The soundstage was the same width as the Heretic but has some depth. Instruments had some separation now.
Time for the Piety. Wider soundstage and good instrument separation. Smooth presentation.
Vali3 with Oktyabr 6N3P-EV. Widest soundstage and real depth and height. Buttery smooth.
Think of the Piety as a tube amp that you are stuck with just one tube, forever. The Vali is fully adjustable depending on what tube you put in it. It can certainly sound worse with a less than stellar tube. But with better tubes it can really shine. Now I am really itching for those tubes and adapters to get here. I do remember that the Raytheon 6SN7 I have as being the best sounding in my original Vali2.
Thanks for the review Hofy, So the Vali 3 can be as Tubey, smooth as the Piety with no harsch treble, with adequate burning time and with the right tubes ?

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #180 of 938
.... at least it wasn't a battle of 5" ..... 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back