Schiit Valhalla w/ HD650's + Xonar STX DAC
Dec 5, 2018 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Freshage

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have an itch to buy something shiny, one thing that's always been on my mind is a headphone amp to pair with my HD 650's, I absolutely adore them but unfortunately the only thing I did (after replacing the STX's default op-amps) was set an EQ to heaften the lows a fair bit as without it was very weak. This is even at 300 ohms.

So, something I'd like to do is pair the STX DAC side with a Schiit Valhalla (I see they don't have the Valhalla 2 anymore, I assume it's just the one revision now).

I'd like to keep the STX purely for the microphone input. It is a very good sound quality with the Modmic I have, where as the motherboard I have (Asus Z390 Gaming E)... Not so much.

Do you think this will be much of a beneficial upgrade? Will the Valhalla provide the sound profile the HD650's are more than capable of putting out rather than having to create an EQ for it?

Or, if anyone knows a decent microphone pre amp thats either PCI or small form factor to stack with the Valhalla, please do let me know! Windows microphone boost is diabolical at times.

Thank you!

Edit: Should also mention the main sources of audio, gaming and music. I do not care for the horrible 'dolby surround' EQ's or the likes. Just natural 2.0 sound so games know what they are working with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back