Schiit Valhalla 2 Quiet
Jan 4, 2016 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kitsvancouver

New Head-Fier
Hello.  I just purchased a Schiit Valhalla 2 and had the time to test it out last night.   Prior to buying the Valhalla 2, I've always used my Classic Beyerdynamic DT990 with an old integrated amp.  

Recently, after really getting into headphones (I think I've bought about 10 pairs in the last couple of months), I decided to get myself a headphone amp in anticipation of a new Beyer T1 or the Sennheiser HD800.  Last night, I plugged in my DT990s for the first time into the Valhalla 2 and noticed that even with the high gain setting I had to turn the volume all the way to the max to get a good volume level.   When I plug the same headphones into the receiver in my family room, I can get the same volume level with the volume knob at about half way. 

I bought the Valhalla 2 for use at my desk at work where I would prefer to not have a huge receiver sitting on my desk.  Also, most of the info I've read on these forums indicate it's not the preferred route (sound quality wise).  

So I'm wondering if anyone else experiences "relatively" low volume levels with the Valhalla 2.   This is what I was using for my listening:
  1. Valhalla 2
  2. Valhalla 2 at high gain with volume maxed
  3. Blackberry Classic connected to the Valhalla 2 via the headphone jack and a Y cable (1/8 to RCA)
  4. Blackberry at loudest volume (also loudest in music settings)
  5. MP3 - Dire Straits Brothers in Arms (for the record, I've always noticed this recording to have very low levels)

I tried other music (recorded more loudly) and even then, I needed the volume at 3/4 for a good volume level.  

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 10
Let me get this straight...

You're using the headphone-out of your Blackberry, and you think it's the Valhalla that's the problem?

Headphone Output, for ANY device, is already amped. And if we're talking smartphones, it's amped poorly.

A desktop amp like the Valhalla is looking for a pre-amp signal. Line-out.

Get a DAC that will work with your phone or PC, and use the Line-Out on that to feed the Amp.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 10
Op, can you try the amp with a different device than your phone, such as a computer or a device with a line out signal?  Do you have a different set of headphones to try it with?  

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 10
Let me get this straight...

You're using the headphone-out of your Blackberry, and you think it's the Valhalla that's the problem?

Headphone Output, for ANY device, is already amped. And if we're talking smartphones, it's amped poorly.

A desktop amp like the Valhalla is looking for a pre-amp signal. Line-out.

Get a DAC that will work with your phone or PC, and use the Line-Out on that to feed the Amp.

I'm not saying the Valhalla is the problem. I actually don't know what the problem is which is why I'm asking.

Yes, I bought the Valhalla to work with a smartphone. I have a blackberry and and iPhone and both produced similarly low volume levels.

I will do some research for a DAC but I'd like to minimize the clutter and complexity.

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 10
Op, can you try the amp with a different device than your phone, such as a computer or a device with a line out signal?  Do you have a different set of headphones to try it with?  

So far I only have had time to try with an iPhone 6 and Blackberry Classic. I did ask Schiit before purchasing and they said it would work with a y cable. Don't get me wrong. It works but the volume level is just not very high.

I can try it again tonight with line in voltage (I believe that is 2 volts). From what I could find online, the Blackberry and iPhone have a line voltage just under 1 volt.

I have several pairs of headphones I can try with.
- Sennheiser Momentum on ear
- Sennheiser Urbanite XL
- AKG 805BT (using wire of course)
- Sennheiser 598
- Sennheiser Game Zero
- Beyerdynamic T51i

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

I will do some research for a DAC but I'd like to minimize the clutter and complexity.

If you do it right you won't get clutter. Hooking up a smartphone via analogue, apart from the problem you have now, gives it the ergonomiccs of a fishing rod, which has more clutter than docking it and the digital cables are all hidden behind that dock going into the DAC, and then from there you have cables coming out the back to the back of the amp.

In my case, the amp has a DAC module in it, so that's one less box.

Get the Modi2 Uber, or ask Schiit if the Bifrost USB module is known to work with smartphones. If they say yes then check in the Bifrost thread if anyone has successfully used the same smartphone you have. Either way, get a sync dock for your phone/s and the appropriate adapter cables.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 10

If you do it right you won't get clutter. Hooking up a smartphone via analogue, apart from the problem you have now, gives it the ergonomiccs of a fishing rod, which has more clutter than docking it and the digital cables are all hidden behind that dock going into the DAC, and then from there you have cables coming out the back to the back of the amp.

In my case, the amp has a DAC module in it, so that's one less box.

Get the Modi2 Uber, or ask Schiit if the Bifrost USB module is known to work with smartphones. If they say yes then check in the Bifrost thread if anyone has successfully used the same smartphone you have. Either way, get a sync dock for your phone/s and the appropriate adapter cables.

Thanks for the feedback.  Are you suggesting to get a DAC between my smartphone and the amp? 

I've also been considering feeding the Schiit Valhalla 2 with a media player like the Fiio X3 or X5.  Those both have line-out jacks which would presumably give me some more volume. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsvancouver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you suggesting to get a DAC between my smartphone and the amp?

Yes. Find one that's compatible and preferably doesn't run on batteries, and the line output will be around 2volts, that being the Sony Redbook standard. It will also likely have less noise than a smartphone's analog output at max level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsvancouver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also been considering feeding the Schiit Valhalla 2 with a media player like the Fiio X3 or X5.  Those both have line-out jacks which would presumably give me some more volume. 

That'll work too but I don't use them as such because the lineout cable will run from the top then down the back. It'll be like using that Playstation fishing rod controller, as opposed to docking a phone and then it streams digital audio. If you don't mind the ergonomic details I nitpick about, then no problem with either, but do bear in mind the line output voltage on these since they also run off a battery might not be at 2volts. Double check with Fiio on that.

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 10
Hello,

Someone had success - using BB Classic on USB DAC?

Because, i tired my Classic with the DAC from Onkyo - no success....

Someone told, that the Fiio 17 and 18 work with the Classic - don't know....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back