Schiit Valahalla 1 with Momentum
Nov 5, 2014 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Alfred143

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Will the Schiit Valahalla 1 amp be bad for my low impedance Senn, Momentum On Ear headphones?
Will I damage my headphones or will it just sound awful?

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 4
  Hi all,

Will the Schiit Valahalla 1 amp be bad for my low impedance Senn, Momentum On Ear headphones?
Will I damage my headphones or will it just sound awful?

No, it won't damage your headphones, but that amp is far too powerful for your very sensitive headphones, the extra power is not needed at all.
I'm not sure about the Valhalla's output impedance but I'm pretty sure is not the lowest, that's why these kind of amplifiers are noticeably better with high impedance headphones. For your headphones you should look into amps with output impedance under 2 Ohm (Most of them solid state amps)

Something like O2, should be better in order to preserve the headphone sound signature. In fact you can get great sound quality using a Fiio E10K (DAC/Amp), it has a LOT of power to drive Momentums, and as far as I've read also a very clear DAC.

If you want some technical insight, here you can read about the effects of output impedance on headphones:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meridian-explorer-case-study-effects-output-impedance

Best Luck!

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 4
  No, it won't damage your headphones, but that amp is far too powerful for your very sensitive headphones, the extra power is not needed at all.
I'm not sure about the Valhalla's output impedance but I'm pretty sure is not the lowest, that's why these kind of amplifiers are noticeably better with high impedance headphones. For your headphones you should look into amps with output impedance under 2 Ohm (Most of them solid state amps)

Something like O2, should be better in order to preserve the headphone sound signature. In fact you can get great sound quality using a Fiio E10K (DAC/Amp), it has a LOT of power to drive Momentums, and as far as I've read also a very clear DAC.

If you want some technical insight, here you can read about the effects of output impedance on headphones:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meridian-explorer-case-study-effects-output-impedance

Best Luck!

Thanks so much. That was a beautiful article link. I may look at the HiFimans "entry level" to pair with the Valhalla's.
Any thoughts on that pairing?

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 4

Thanks so much. That was a beautiful article link. I may look at the HiFimans "entry level" to pair with the Valhalla's.
Any thoughts on that pairing?

The Valhalla should be a better pick for headphones like:

Beyerdynamic DT880 (both 250 and 600 Ohm versions)
Beyerdynamic DT990 (both 250 and 600 Ohm versions)
Beyerdynamic T90
Beyerdynamic T1
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD700

Anyway, I guess it should be quite good with Hifiman, but if I were you I would ask in a Hifiman appreciation thread.

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back