Schiit Unison ES9028 DAC for Lyr 3 vs Bifrost Mk 1 with GEN 5 USB
Jun 21, 2022 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

reg66

100+ Head-Fier
I have a couple of options, I might be getting a Lyr 3 with NO DAC card. The same person also has a Bifrost Mk 1 with Gen 5 USB. So my options are to either get the Lyr 3 alone and install their latest ES9028 DAC card or buy both the Lyr 3 and Bifrost (the bifrost is currently up for £190GBP).

So my question is: Does the latest Unison add-on card have GEN 5 USB, the same as the Bifrost or would it be inferior to the Bifrost?

Anyone with experience with both who can shed some light as to whether there'll actually be any audible difference?

Cheers

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 6
My vote: Unison is on par with USB-Gen5 (I have Gen5 on my BiFrost Multibit). It’ll easly plug into your Lyr 3. I also have a Lyr 3. That is one helluva modular amp. It’s like my mighty little toaster (Vali 2)… on steroids (Significantly more power [no XLR needed], less distortion, uses a very common valve). I had to replace the Vali’s volume knob with a surplus (weighted & felted) microscope knob to get that smooth volume control.

If you’re handy with a spanner, you can install a Unison card into your Lyr. Since you’re importing it into the UK, could save money on shipping.

I purchased an RCA input card (from Schiit, special order). I can add another analogue input onto my Lyr. No rush to do it.
Audible difference? I can’t detect it. I believe it is more a matter of preference — I like multiple components, rather than all-in-1 boxes.

@reg66 … Enjoy your new toys! Love my multitude of brushed-Al boxes. 🇨🇦

Jun 22, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 6
Jun 22, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 6
By the way, you’re welcomed to swing on over to this thread…. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-6269#post-16990883
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. The trouble is the only add-on card available (stock issues as with all/most Schiit products) uses ESS ES9028 D/A converter with unison USB, rather than multibit dac. I'm guessing there'll be some audible difference between the two, but could you hazard a guess as to how much...? FWIW, Schiit told me possibly around December for the multibit cards to come back into stock, perhaps I'll wait until then if there's a significant difference with the ES9028.

Also, I don't suppose you happen to own a Modius? I've read some posts that some people prefer the sound of the Modius over the Bifrost. Though, I'm guessing this difference will only be very slight to negligable. Just looking at my options - that's assuming I win the Lyr 3 in auction!!!
EDIT: Scrap the above cross-through, having read more it looks I just stumbled across a couple of posts in favour of the Modius, the general consensus is deffo for the Bifrost being superior.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 6
The multibit version of their cards are… well… odd. Hang on, @Ripper2860@AudioGal … can you provide insight about comparing Multibit versus Schiit’s ES9028 chipset? I’m lucky — both my Modi and my main DAC use @Baldr ’s proprietary DSP baked into their multibit DACs. I purchased all of it before the shortages! I know of no other sound from my Schiit kit (I had an audio tech-head show me several readouts from a DAW plugged into my ModiMB DAC…. Couldn’t make heads or tails of the graphs). :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 6
The multibit version of their cards are… well… odd. Hang on, @Ripper2860@AudioGal … can you provide insight about comparing Multibit versus Schiit’s ES9028 chipset? I’m lucky — both my Modi and my main DAC use @Baldr ’s proprietary DSP baked into their multibit DACs. I purchased all of it before the shortages! I know of no other sound from my Schiit kit (I had an audio tech-head show me several readouts from a DAW plugged into my ModiMB DAC…. Couldn’t make heads or tails of the graphs). :ksc75smile:
Thanks for the assistance and calling out for others... Just letting you know I went and bought the Lyr 3 (without card) and last edition of the Bifrost (gen 5 usb) before they released the BF2. Really loving it, got quite a selection of tubes too, including the Schiit Lisst SS tube. Having lots of fun haha!!

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back