Schiit Sys with Lyr
Jun 27, 2021 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

timwillhack

Head-Fier
Hello, I've acquired a version 1 Lyr. I've read about potential issues leaving headphones connected on power up and off. Rather than unplug them, it got me thinking, what about a switch, could I just have the Schiit Sys with headphone plugged into one input and nothing in the other, and switch to the empty input when I power up/down the lyr, or when I leave it on but not there (to cover brown outs of power) I'm thinking it would basically disconnect the headphone, but I'm not sure if that is actually 100% the case.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 9
I would prefer not to have to keep plugging and unplugging the cable. I like to alleviate any wear I can, or put that wear on something that is cheap to replace. I was gonna have the headphones on the RCA jacks rather than headphone port. From what I've read they are connected the same in the lyr (volume control etc)

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 9
I wouldn't worry about "excessive" wear
on a headphone jack, unless it was in a portable player that I would carry around in my pocket. Just my two cents, but your approach is making a mountain out of a molehill. Just be sure to insert and remove the plug straight in and out, no wiggling side to side.
If you really still think it's necessary,ditch the Sys idea. Just get a plug adapter or a short headphone extension cable and leave that plugged in.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 9
I do tend to make a mountain out of things, everything is a puzzle that needs to be solved. I suppose an extension cable would work, or maybe its time to get a modular set and just connect/disconnect it with the xlr rather than the jack on the amp. Thanks

.... although I'm still curious if the Sys idea would work - for giggles!

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 9
I do tend to make a mountain out of things, everything is a puzzle that needs to be solved. I suppose an extension cable would work, or maybe its time to get a modular set and just connect/disconnect it with the xlr rather than the jack on the amp. Thanks

.... although I'm still curious if the Sys idea would work - for giggles!
I'm sure it would work, but it makes things much more complicated than needed, plus then you have another component and more cables. Trust me, I have far more gear than what's in my woefully out of date profile, to the point of half of it not being hooked up due to lack of space. Keep the chain as simple as possible.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Originally I've been purposely avoiding going down the amp route trying to just use the best bluetooth receiver I can find (so far its Qudelix 5k) so that I get wireless freedom, but I'm curious what LCD3 / X V2 will sound through a proper amp compared to bluetooth. So its basically a curiosity thats turned into a new set of puzzles. I agree, keeping it simple is a good idea. I just read those stories of the Lyr issues and wanted to avoid blowing out my fav headphones.

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 9
One thing to keep in mind: cases of "this amp is bad, it blew my headphones" are few and far between. Folks tend to be a lot more vocal when things go wrong, compared with the vast majority of users not having any issues. Then, these few posts keep getting "parroted" in the forums, and somehow these rare failures morph into "this is a common issue". That being said, there were a few cases with the original Lyr, at least as far as I can recall reading about years ago. In my opinion, although Bluetooth has improved tremendously, you're not getting the full potential of those headphones using bluetooth in the chain. The Lyr 3 worked very well with my LCD X (original version, since sold, mostly for comfort issues).

Jun 27, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 9
I understand the comfort issues, I've put a Hifiman X V1 Headband on my LCD3's. I hate the audeze headbands. Its so much more comfortable now and doesn't want to fall off my head when I move around.

Yeah, I understand that about problems, its one of those things when it comes to headphones though, that you want to keep what you know you like, due to variances in drivers for the same model etc, The LCD3 I have is a prototype with 30ohm rather than the default, and they sound so good to me that I wouldn't know what to do if they died so I just want to be overly cautious if I can see a potential issue with an easy fix (switch in this case) its not a big issue to tap a button every time you turn something on / off to me.

Lyr wise, I'm just really curious what a high powered amp will make some of my headphones sound like, I haven't had a tube amp in a long time but I miss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back