Schiit stack + DAW question
Jun 23, 2017 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DCMini

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Thanks to the plethora of useful information on the forum I was able to narrow my search for quality headphones and the necessary electronics.

I have a PC with a mediocre onboard audio. Striving for higher quality audio I've decided to buy a Magni + Modi combo bypassing the integrated audio chip completely. I still haven't decided on the headphones but it is probably going to be something like the Sennheiser HD650.

Now the actual question. I have interest in creating music using virtual instruments and a DAW (Cubase 9 my case). I'm going to use a usb midi keyboard to program the sound so I don't really need an audio interface with inputs. My question is can I use the Magni + Modi combo in this case as well ? Or do I need a more powerful sound card like an Asus or Creative ( I can't really afford quality interfaces such as RME) just for the DAW ? I want to avoid crackling sounds and latency issues (and awful driver support) so I'm aiming to bypass the internal sound card in this scenario as well.

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 8
If you can pick up the sennheiser hd6xx off massdrop for less than the hd650. Said to be same thing but for only 200.00.

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 8
Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 8
Jun 24, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the replies and for the pricing tips ! :)

Just wanted to add that I have the Modi/Magni 2U stack paired with Senn HD650s. It's a magical combination. The Senns could benefit from a tube amp, so that's the upgrade path, but you won't be dissapointed with Schiit's solid state setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back