Schiit Question - no power switch in front?
Jan 2, 2013 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

scottieg

New Head-Fier
Man, i love my BiFrost and Valhalla setup, but i have a sucky problem and I'm wondering if i'm missing something here -  On does anyone have a good explanation on why Schiit doesn't put any power switches on the fronts of their devices?  I always keep my BiFrost on (which kind of sucks now that I think of the constant power draw), and my Valhalla gets pretty hot and it's not recommended that they be left on for an extended period of time, so what gives with the huge inconvenience factor?

I figured they could have done something nice like the button that's on the BiFrost.  My biggest complaint is that this causes me to sometimes not listen to such a sweet setup because of this problem.

Anyone feel the same way or am I'm riding solo here?

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:
Man, i love my BiFrost and Valhalla setup, but i have a sucky problem and I'm wondering if i'm missing something here -  On does anyone have a good explanation on why Schiit doesn't put any power switches on the fronts of their devices?  I always keep my BiFrost on (which kind of sucks now that I think of the constant power draw), and my Valhalla gets pretty hot and it's not recommended that they be left on for an extended period of time, so what gives with the huge inconvenience factor?

I figured they could have done something nice like the button that's on the BiFrost.  My biggest complaint is that this causes me to sometimes not listen to such a sweet setup because of this problem.

Anyone feel the same way or am I'm riding solo here?

I totally agree! It takes me about 1 hour to turn on my Magni. Who puts power switches on the back of an amp? That's just total laziness! I even need to crawl under my desk to turn it on.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 16
I am not that familiar with Schiit amps, but I can kind of guess why they don't have a power button on the front.  It boils down to keeping the cost low and the sound quality high.  I will explain:

Running wires with AC power from the back of the amp (where the power cord is) to the front of the amp (where a power switch could be located) could cause audible interference in the amplifier.  If the AC wiring is parallel to the signal wiring, you will get interference.  I am not sure of the mechanics of this, but AC wiring is something that has to be handled carefully in amps.

There is a workaround, but it would probably add at least $30 - $50 (maybe more?) to the total cost of the amp, as well as possibly increasing the size (though just a little).  They can put a DC relay at the back with a power button (not switch) at the front.  This is a great solution to the problem, as the wires going to the front of the amp don't carry any AC power, all the AC power lines are minimal and out of the way.

Since Schiit seems to be known for having high quality products with very nice aesthetics for a relatively low price, I am not surprised they have a power switch on the back.  I am not sure how much more I would pay to have power at the front.

I hope I have explained this well, and further hope that it answers your question as to why it is at the back.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks haejuk, much appreciated. 

Personally i would definitely pay up to 30 bucks for such a change as it would enable me to listen way more often to my investment in a setup.  As it stand right now, every time i sit at my computer (listening station) i always give it a second thought if i should go through the trouble to reach awkwardly behind the device to switch it on.  A good amount of time i tell myself that I'm not going to be here long and I usually underestimate my time and miss out... sounds silly, but it's a real inconvenience.

For a solution, anyone think it would be a good idea to put an inline switch that i could then mount under my desk.  Think that would cause noticeable noise or power issues?

Now that they've gotten off the ground and can afford to do some cool things, like the modi/mangi, hopefully we'll see some nice rev's coming down the pipe!

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 16
Hey guys,

Power switches will stay in the back.

We make our stuff one way, and one way only--no color options, switch options, gain options, etc--in order to maintain the lowest possible price. If we had to customize every product to individual preferences, it would cost much more, we'd have to manage multiple SKUs, we'd probably be out of the color/options you wanted when you wanted them, etc. 

If it's really all that painful to reach around the back, there are these nifty extension cords with power switches at one end, or wireless remote-controlled AC sockets.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the response Jason - For a solution, anyone think it would be a good idea to put an inline switch that i could then mount under my desk.  Think that would cause noticeable noise or power issues?

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 16
I don't mind the power switches in the back as they are not difficult to reach and they stick out. If it was a plastic flush rocker switch, it would be a different story.

What I really do wish for on the Lyr however is a button or switch to toggle between the headphone output and preamp RCA outs, or to have both active, like it is now.  

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 16
I really wish Jason would have said "because most amps are ugly and we appreciate simple aesthetics". 
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
I really wish Jason would have said "because most amps are ugly and we appreciate simple aesthetics". 
tongue.gif

Because most amps are ugly and we appreciate simple aesthetics.

Also best not to be running AC power all over the inside of the amp. Which is the real reason.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 9, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Because most amps are ugly and we appreciate simple aesthetics.

Also best not to be running AC power all over the inside of the amp. Which is the real reason.

No, no. Engineering has no place here. We all want pretty looking things. Who cares about design or sound. (kidding, of course.)

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 16
how about answering my question : with the pyst cables attched to m/m and the power cord in back and headphone jack plugged in the front THERE IS NO WAY TO GET THE MAGNI TO SIT FLAT either on top of the modi or on a desk top-its unbalanced its tipped,you cant put something on top of the magni because it generates heat
HOW DOES ONE FIX THIS??
 the pictures are bogus/computer generated the magni wont sit flat unless one use thinner rca cords if that
comments?? bobbmd  or rburdic2@gmail.com
that said the sound is beyond belief to the power of log 10 and i am only listening to MOG at 320kbps
jason ignored this question when i asked anyone have suggestions

again sound is great even using my 30+yo beyerdynamics  DT990

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 16
how about answering my question : with the pyst cables attched to m/m and the power cord in back and headphone jack plugged in the front THERE IS NO WAY TO GET THE MAGNI TO SIT FLAT either on top of the modi or on a desk top-its unbalanced its tipped,you cant put something on top of the magni because it generates heat
HOW DOES ONE FIX THIS??
 the pictures are bogus/computer generated the magni wont sit flat unless one use thinner rca cords if that
comments?? bobbmd  or rburdic2@gmail.com
that said the sound is beyond belief to the power of log 10 and i am only listening to MOG at 320kbps
jason ignored this question when i asked anyone have suggestions

again sound is great even using my 30+yo beyerdynamics  DT990
Defiant had the same problem, and he fixed it with a rubber band. Check it out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
really?? i just told him not to be an ass guess i' ll have to try that and have to apologize profusely to him hope i dont get kicked off this forum for BEING an ass bobbmd

Don't worry, Bob. We should all send Jason hate-mail demanding that our PYST interconnects come with an included rubber band. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back