Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Nov 8, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #826 of 941
Ordered my Modius over the weekend.

I thought it was going to be a 6-8 week delay, but already got a shipping notice from Schiit.

Do they send these out incredibly pre-emptively?

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #828 of 941
Has anybody had any luck finding a >6 feet / 2M cable that is a fat, printer type USB (B, I think?) on one end and micro USB on the other?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #830 of 941
Anybody connected it (or any other with Unison USB) to Volumio? Is HW volume control active?
I had a Modi connected to RPi with Volumio and did have level control via software.

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #831 of 941
Nov 10, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #832 of 941
I had a Modi connected to RPi with Volumio and did have level control via software.
Volumio:

"There are two ways to get volume control:

Software mixer: the audio stream is manipulated to get the desired volume change. This makes the stream not bit-perfect and degrades sound quality.
Hardware Mixer: some DACs (not all) have an array of internal resistors they can use to change the volume. In this mode, you can change the volume while keeping the audio stream bit-perfect and avoid any audio quality degradation.

Volumio can detect if your DAC has a Hardware Mixer, and enable it automatically."

How exactly can you turn the Modius?

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #833 of 941
Volumio:

"There are two ways to get volume control:

Software mixer: the audio stream is manipulated to get the desired volume change. This makes the stream not bit-perfect and degrades sound quality.
Hardware Mixer: some DACs (not all) have an array of internal resistors they can use to change the volume. In this mode, you can change the volume while keeping the audio stream bit-perfect and avoid any audio quality degradation.

Volumio can detect if your DAC has a Hardware Mixer, and enable it automatically."

How exactly can you turn the Modius?
You'll need to use software control, because there's no hardware control with the Modius. I wouldn't worry about deteriorated sound quality using software control, especially if your source can output 32 bits. Each 6dB reduction costs one bit of dynamic range. So with a 32 bit source and a 24 bit music file, you could reduce level by (32 - 24) x 6 = 48dB before you would lose any of the data. Furthermore, it is extremely unlikely that you can reproduce anything more than 20 bits with even a fine sound system, let alone hear it, so now you can confidently reduce volume by 72dB. CD has a dynamic range of (6 x 16 bits) = 96dB, which is plenty for most people and most systems.

I don't know how your system is configured, but here's what I do with my systems: I set the software controller to max level, then I set the preamp/headphone amp at a level I know I would not want to exceed. I leave the amp setting alone, and control level using my software (Volumio in this case).

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #834 of 941
I have some analysis paralysis going on and would like to ask a quick question. I'm currently stuck on pulling the trigger between a Schiit Modi Multibit and a Mobius. I'm curious if anyone could check out what I'll be using it for and see what the recommendations are. I 'll be using it in pretty much 2 separate ways:

A. As a desktop dac to run into a headphone amp in my office. I'll be streaming through Apple Music via my iPhone or iPad. Headphone-wise it'll be split between the Audeze LCD-2C and Grado RS1x.

B. I also want the ability to take the dac out to the living room and run it through my stereo system. It's a vintage 80's Crown analog rack system with a preamp rack and power amp rack, then out to the floor speakers.

Another factor is form factor with the headphone amp...I'm considering either the Asgard (no dac) or Magni+/Magni Heresy. Silly I know but when in my office I think having a Modi on an Asgard or Modius on a Magni would bother me...if that makes sense.

So - Modius or Modi Multibit??? I'm leaning towards the Modius with the unison USB and the variety of ways I'll use it...but maybe the Mimby would be a better choice.

And basically the dac I choose will help pretty much determine the headphone amp (at least the footprint....move over Asgard, the Lyr is in town).

Thanks for any info.

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #835 of 941
I have some analysis paralysis going on and would like to ask a quick question. I'm currently stuck on pulling the trigger between a Schiit Modi Multibit and a Mobius. I'm curious if anyone could check out what I'll be using it for and see what the recommendations are. I 'll be using it in pretty much 2 separate ways:

A. As a desktop dac to run into a headphone amp in my office. I'll be streaming through Apple Music via my iPhone or iPad. Headphone-wise it'll be split between the Audeze LCD-2C and Grado RS1x.

B. I also want the ability to take the dac out to the living room and run it through my stereo system. It's a vintage 80's Crown analog rack system with a preamp rack and power amp rack, then out to the floor speakers.

Another factor is form factor with the headphone amp...I'm considering either the Asgard (no dac) or Magni+/Magni Heresy. Silly I know but when in my office I think having a Modi on an Asgard or Modius on a Magni would bother me...if that makes sense.

So - Modius or Modi Multibit??? I'm leaning towards the Modius with the unison USB and the variety of ways I'll use it...but maybe the Mimby would be a better choice.

And basically the dac I choose will help pretty much determine the headphone amp (at least the footprint....move over Asgard, the Lyr is in town).

Thanks for any info.
For ~$200, the Modius seems like a really good solution for you. Yes, there are better options out there but, at what cost for relatively small improvements in performance?

What attracts you to the Asgard over something like the Maginus?

For $400, a Modius/Magnius combo is pretty high value and flexible for diverse uses IMHO. Again, there are better performing options but, at what cost for what improvements?

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #836 of 941

Thanks for any info.
I had the Modius and Asgard 3 combo. For a budget setup I highly recommend them, have not heard a combo I liked better yet for the price! Very musical combo.

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #837 of 941

Thanks for any info.
Any of the two will be just fine. Modius will give you the flexibility to connect to balanced amps, so I’d lean towards it. I used the Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2 for about a year and a half, and I would say go with that if your budget allows. Then later you can consider upgrading to amps such as GX Mini or Feliks Euforia and keep the DAC. In my opinion, the Bifrost 2 is Schiits best product when several factors are considered, so that’s my number one recommendation.

Dec 10, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #838 of 941
For ~$200, the Modius seems like a really good solution for you. Yes, there are better options out there but, at what cost for relatively small improvements in performance?

What attracts you to the Asgard over something like the Maginus?

For $400, a Modius/Magnius combo is pretty high value and flexible for diverse uses IMHO. Again, there are better performing options but, at what cost for what improvements?

I just seem to see more love for the Asgard and have just read more about it. Does balanced outs between DAC & amp have a positive effect even when singled ended coming out of the amp?

I will do some research on the Magnius as well.

Thx!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #839 of 941
I just seem to see more love for the Asgard and have just read more about it. Does balanced outs between DAC & amp have a positive effect even when singled ended coming out of the amp?

I will do some research on the Magnius as well.

Thx!

For me, the MAGNIUS is a lot more future-proof and flexible for future headphone upgrades.

The
MODIUS has excellent performance for something costing $200. Plus, I really like the AKM AK4493 D/A chip too.

Paying extra for an all-in-one desktop unit with lesser performance doesn't make sense to me as a replacement for a higher-performance dedicated component.

A lot of what you see in forums like this is personal preferences backed by expectations. If I pay $450 instead of $200, it has to sound better to me, doesn't it? Sure the $450 component probably does sound a little better but, are we talking 2% better for over twice the cost or possibly not better at all with the type of music we like and our headphones. Then there is the "balance" of the system, where each component really needs to be of a similar level of "quality" to get the benefits of the better components.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #840 of 941
Any of the two will be just fine. Modius will give you the flexibility to connect to balanced amps, so I’d lean towards it. I used the Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2 for about a year and a half, and I would say go with that if your budget allows. Then later you can consider upgrading to amps such as GX Mini or Feliks Euforia and keep the DAC.
Or, keeping in the Schiit line (keeping the Schiit in line? :smile:) the Lyr3. Having one tube only makes tube rolling easier and less expensive (however some tubes out there, both new and nos, still are not cheap by any stretch..)

In my opinion, the Bifrost 2 is Schiits best product when several factors are considered, so that’s my number one recommendation.
I second that. The Bifrost2 is probably (not having tried all their DAC offerings) the sweet spot regarding price/performance, possibly by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back