Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Sep 25, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #781 of 941
Very cool. Can't wait! To clarify, my DAC is always on (as my laptop is rarely turned off). Does it actually need to have music playing or is being connected enough?

I should have my new amp by Oct 1st - So I expect to have a lot of real 'ears-on' listening either way.
Needs signal through it. I used pink noise when I was not using the system, like during the day and overnight. When I came home from work I would listen. I noticed slight changes daily. I was breaking in both Modius and Asgard 3 at the same time, YMMV.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #783 of 941
I had a Modius and sold it but I'm missing it. Time to order another one.
A few days ago out of curiosity I went to storage and got a Mark Levinson 360 and Proceed DAP to try on the system in place of the Modius. Neither of those home DACs will do hi res. Not surprising that the way more expensive old school R2R sounded better but was not WOW better. For a $200 DAC The Modius is impressive.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #784 of 941
A few days ago out of curiosity I went to storage and got a Mark Levinson 360 and Proceed DAP to try on the system in place of the Modius. Neither of those home DACs will do hi res. Not surprising that the way more expensive old school R2R sounded better but was not WOW better. For a $200 DAC The Modius is impressive.
I still love my Modi multibit, version 2, but the Modius is right up there. I'm actually thinking now maybe I should just go with a Bifrost 2 and be done with it. Pay in 4 through PayPal takes the bite out of the price. I'll have to think things over.

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #785 of 941
I still love my Modi multibit, version 2, but the Modius is right up there. I'm actually thinking now maybe I should just go with a Bifrost 2 and be done with it. Pay in 4 through PayPal takes the bite out of the price. I'll have to think things over.
The Bifrost 2 is considerably better. I haven’t heard the Yggy to compare, but you sure as hell get a good bang for the buck. From all Schiit products I’ve had, the Bifrost 2 is my favourite. I sold mine a week ago because I’m moving to another place where I’ll have to rely on streaming only, as my former PC speakers (Kef R3) go to the living room, and getting a decente streamer for the Bifrost would cost me a good penny, when the Hegel H120 I’m using already has a streamer/dac.

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #786 of 941
The Bifrost 2 is considerably better. I haven’t heard the Yggy to compare, but you sure as hell get a good bang for the buck. From all Schiit products I’ve had, the Bifrost 2 is my favourite. I sold mine a week ago because I’m moving to another place where I’ll have to rely on streaming only, as my former PC speakers (Kef R3) go to the living room, and getting a decente streamer for the Bifrost would cost me a good penny, when the Hegel H120 I’m using already has a streamer/dac.
I own and have owned a fair share of Schiit equipment and you really do get a lot of bang for buck.

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #787 of 941
I just posted a review of Modius on my new YouTube channel:

Enjoy!

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #789 of 941
Has anyone tried inserting a galvanic isolation device between PC and a Modius? If yes what have you tried and your subjective impressions or findings?

I am using Spdif coax from PC now. Sounds like the USB from computer but without the USB bus noise. I am wondering if using a galvanic isolation device would take it to another level?

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #790 of 941
Has anyone tried inserting a galvanic isolation device between PC and a Modius? If yes what have you tried and your subjective impressions or findings?

I am using Spdif coax from PC now. Sounds like the USB from computer but without the USB bus noise. I am wondering if using a galvanic isolation device would take it to another level?
I tried a Nobsound USB To USB Isolator between my Dell laptop and the Modius. The laptop could not see the DAC, regardless of whether I powered the Isolator from the USB cable, or from an external power supply. Substituting the Modius for an XTremPro X1 DAC in the same system worked fine. The Isolator also worked in another setup with a Raspberry Pi and Schiit Eitr. Unfortunately I could not get the Isolator to work with the Modius.
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Aud...und+usb+to+usb+isolator&qid=1633879131&sr=8-3

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #791 of 941
Does the Modius really sound better when being fed a dedicated USB power line? I like the idea of just running one USB cable to the Modius for sound and power...
Yes. The difference isn't really huge but it's there. The dynamics get a little punchier and the ability to resolve subtle details (ie micro detail) improves. The problem with most USB signal connections is the power isn't always a steady 5V. It will sometimes dip slightly lower. That has a negative impact on aspects of sound that require quicker power delivery, like dynamic impact and microdetail.

Oct 10, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #792 of 941
I tried a Nobsound USB To USB Isolator between my Dell laptop and the Modius. The laptop could not see the DAC, regardless of whether I powered the Isolator from the USB cable, or from an external power supply. Substituting the Modius for an XTremPro X1 DAC in the same system worked fine. The Isolator also worked in another setup with a Raspberry Pi and Schiit Eitr. Unfortunately I could not get the Isolator to work with the Modius.
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Aud...und+usb+to+usb+isolator&qid=1633879131&sr=8-3
Thanks for sharing. Did you try computer to Schiit Eitr to Modius? If you did, was there a sonic improvement over going straight from computer USB to Modius? I am trying to find a way to improve source signal to Modius. Currently coax from computer to Modius seems to work well but the Modius is from what I have seen is not stellar at handling jitter through Spdif. I figure there has to be a way to isolate and clean up the USB signal before reaching the Modius. I know there are DDC units available but are cost prohibitive considering the gear it will be hooked up to (Modius and Asgard 3,soon Jotunheim 2).

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #793 of 941
Does the Modius really sound better when being fed a dedicated USB power line? I like the idea of just running one USB cable to the Modius for sound and power...
With several other inexpensive DAC's in my secondary systems, I've consistently heard an improvement by replacing USB 5V power, fed from either my Dell laptop or RPi 3B+. I could not hear an improvement when I used the Modius with the laptop USB power vs. its supplied SMPS. YMMV, it's easy to try both ways if you own the DAC.

Thanks for sharing. Did you try computer to Schiit Eitr to Modius? If you did, was there a sonic improvement over going straight from computer USB to Modius? I am trying to find a way to improve source signal to Modius. Currently coax from computer to Modius seems to work well but the Modius is from what I have seen is not stellar at handling jitter through Spdif. I figure there has to be a way to isolate and clean up the USB signal before reaching the Modius. I know there are DDC units available but are cost prohibitive considering the gear it will be hooked up to (Modius and Asgard 3,soon Jotunheim 2).
I have the laptop connected via USB to the Modius. The Eitr is connected to my NAS, via a 15' USB cable, coax out to the Modius. The S/PDIF source sounds better alright, however the Eitr is propped up by an iFi iDefender, an iPower feeding the Nobsound Isolator, and an iPurifier2. Each of these tweaks added some goodness. The Eitr on its own without the helpers sounds pretty dirty, not something I could live with.

I hooked the Modius up to my sMS-200 Neo, which is fed by a linear power supply. With other DAC's, this setup murders the laptop. With the Modius, I heard very little difference. IMO, the Modius/Unison is what it is. The fact that it sounds as good as it does with a regular laptop and the freebie USB cable, without tweaks, is an amazing feat. I really like the sound of my Modius desktop system, both via USB and the tricked-out Eitr.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #794 of 941
the Eitr is propped up by an iFi iDefender, an iPower feeding the Nobsound Isolator, and an iPurifier2. Each of these tweaks added some goodness. The Eitr on its own without the helpers sounds pretty dirty, not something I could live with.

Thanks for that feedback. At the same time I'm wondering which one of our USB/power sorters made the biggest difference in your setup?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 11, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #795 of 941
Thanks for that feedback. At the same time I'm wondering which one of our USB/power sorters made the biggest difference in your setup?
The iPurifier2, (I have the USB version).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back