Schiit Modi works via USB Hub, but not directly to onboard USB.
Sep 7, 2013 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cenumis

New Head-Fier
Fault description:
Once plugging the Modi into the PC via USB, the sound manager in windows would consistently detect/undetected in a speedy fashion. This consisted through ALL USB ports, (both USB 2.0 and 3.0) and with multiple USB cables, ('Audiophile grade' and the printer variety). All drivers are up to date and power management on the USB ports are disabled.

Further testing:
I work at a computer store. As I do, I went to our tech department after work hours and I setup 2 test benches with my exact setup and 1 setup with a different branded motherboard (Z87 chipset) and the problem persisted with ALL of them. But would work with Z77 and laptop's alike.

Work Around:
The only way to get this working on my Z87 is to use a USB hub. I wonder if someone can chime in as to why it works on the hub but not on the motherboard as this exceeds my understanding of PC's.

Basic system specifications:
CPU: Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard: Asus Z87 Sabertooth
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780

Thanks for reading!

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 15
XFX 1250 Gold Rated power supply. The onboard USB's work with all my other DAC's that I own and all my PC peripherals work perfectly.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 15
Bump - anyone have any other idea's?
Looks like my only options are to swap to a different motherboard or change to a different brand of DAC.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 15
First, I suggest you contact Jason at Schiit about this. They don't provide a Windows USB driver for Modi, it's using the native USB audio driver, but they may have some suggestions to help resolve this. And good to let them know if there is an issue with Z87-chipset motherboards.

Second, the Z87 chipset does seem to be pretty new, so more than likely to have v1.0-type issues. Have you checked with Asus support to see if they have seen other USB issues? Or if there is updated firmware available for download on their support web site which resolves any issues?

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 15
  First, I suggest you contact Jason at Schiit about this. They don't provide a Windows USB driver for Modi, it's using the native USB audio driver, but they may have some suggestions to help resolve this. And good to let them know if there is an issue with Z87-chipset motherboards.

Second, the Z87 chipset does seem to be pretty new, so more than likely to have v1.0-type issues. Have you checked with Asus support to see if they have seen other USB issues? Or if there is updated firmware available for download on their support web site which resolves any issues?

I did contact Jason, he pretty much said it's a motherboard issue. I've tried the first release drivers, latest release drivers and a few in between.
I just don't understand how the Modi can work via a USB hub and NOT directly connected to the motherboard I/O.

It's just easier for me to grab an Audio-gd 15.32 instead so that's what I shall end up doing I think.

Oh well. You win some, you lose some.
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 15
I did contact Jason, he pretty much said it's a motherboard issue. I've tried the first release drivers, latest release drivers and a few in between.
I just don't understand how the Modi can work via a USB hub and NOT directly connected to the motherboard I/O.

It's just easier for me to grab an Audio-gd 15.32 instead so that's what I shall end up doing I think.

Oh well. You win some, you lose some. :frowning2:
It's not that weird at all and way more common than what you think. This is rather common with 2.5" USB HDD's. That's why they usually come with similar cable to this:

Powered hubs almost always can give tad bit more power than directly from mobo thus making devices that are on the edge of USB power limit more stable when using only single connector. You can grab a cable like that from ebay of your local store cheap. It will almost certainly solve your issue.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 15
It's not that weird at all and way more common than what you think. This is rather common with 2.5" USB HDD's. That's why they usually come with similar cable to this:

Powered hubs almost always can give tad bit more power than directly from mobo thus making devices that are on the edge of USB power limit more stable when using only single connector. You can grab a cable like that from ebay of your local store cheap. It will almost certainly solve your issue.

Cheers for the reply.

I work at a computer store so I grabbed one of these to test, it did indeed work.
After some more testing in our tech department, it seems that the USB ports just aren't giving enough power.
I ended up swapping for a Gigabyte board and all is well now. For some reason, no Asus Z87 board that we tested would supply enough power to the DAC, USB 2.0 or 3.0. Anyway, Thanks for help everyone, appreciate it.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 15
I have also had this problem with ASUS boards, which is why I asked whether the hub you were trying was powered or not.
What I actually found is that some of the ports will supply enough power, and others will not. Which ports work also seems to vary depending on the board. I run everything through powered hubs now, but even then, I had to try a couple of ports before finding one that works with a long USB extension - even though they are running off the same internal controller. Will not be buying ASUS again.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 15
I have also had this problem with ASUS boards, which is why I asked whether the hub you were trying was powered or not.
What I actually found is that some of the ports will supply enough power, and others will not. Which ports work also seems to vary depending on the board. I run everything through powered hubs now, but even then, I had to try a couple of ports before finding one that works with a long USB extension - even though they are running off the same internal controller. Will not be buying ASUS again.

It was a generic brand, unpowered 4 port hub, connected directly into the motherboard.

Either way, everything is working flawlessly now. I'm also on the same boat as you. Asus won't be on my shipping list for a while, lol.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for the update. Besides this, along with other crap, I am not getting ASUS again, especially not motherboard.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 15
I have exactly same issue.
Asus Gene VI Impact > USB cable > Modi = NOT WORKING (Win 8.1 cant even see it)
Asus Gene VI Impact > USB *unpowered* USB 4 hub > Cable > Modi = WORKING (funny thing that it works on ANY USB ports)

Weird. I will be trying double USB cables out of interest soon.

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 15
  I have exactly same issue.
Asus Gene VI Impact > USB cable > Modi = NOT WORKING (Win 8.1 cant even see it)
Asus Gene VI Impact > USB *unpowered* USB 4 hub > Cable > Modi = WORKING (funny thing that it works on ANY USB ports)

Weird. I will be trying double USB cables out of interest soon.

UPD: double cables didn't help.
Very strange.

On my other PC it works like a charm (Win 7).

Jan 18, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #14 of 15
I have a Gigabyte Z87 hackintosh, I just spent the last few hours trying to figure this out. For some reason my first inclination was to try a unpowered USB hub. But I thought noway, that doesn't make sense. So I did everything else, googled but never clicked this thread. Then right when I'm about to give up I check this thread out. And my unpowered hub works. Crazy.

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 15
  I have a Gigabyte Z87 hackintosh, I just spent the last few hours trying to figure this out. For some reason my first inclination was to try a unpowered USB hub. But I thought noway, that doesn't make sense. So I did everything else, googled but never clicked this thread. Then right when I'm about to give up I check this thread out. And my unpowered hub works. Crazy.

This DAC is pathetic. Just took out my GTX 760 and now the Modi stopped working. Definitely port related.
Never had any problems like this with my Audioengine D1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back