Schiit Modi Vs. pci-e card (Asus/creative etc.)
Jan 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TheNewCanMan

Head-Fier
Hey folks, I've been lurking for a few weeks now.  Based on what everyone here has said about which headphones would likely work with what I listen to, I went to a shop in town here and bought (after listening to them) a pair of DT 770 80 ohm cans.  They are spectacular!  I am enjoying them more as the days go by. 

However...

I would like to feed them audio not from a crummy on-board dac from my lenovo computer.  I didn't build this particular tower, so I actually don't know what kind of audio it has on it.  I suspect, after some reading here, that it's pretty crappy.  So, I would like to upgrade either to a card of some sort (Asus xonar dgx perhaps) or maybe just step up to the next tier and get a Schiit Modi. 

I'm open to any and all suggestions beyond these two, and depending on the reasoning I'd certainly change plans.  Currently, leaning slightly to the Modi so that I don't have to go and buy something down the road.  Not many have said bad things about the Modi so I feel that it's probably a solid choice.

I'll try and answer the requisite questions here as best I can remember, though being new I probably will miss some.  I listen to mp3s (the bulk of my library right now) and some FLAC files either ripped myself through foobar or downloaded from bandcamp.  I'm mostly into electronic, alternative, and rap.  I do love some classical as well; what I favor tends to ebb and flow as the months pass.  I don't have an amp, but these are only 80 ohm so I should be able to get by.  I have considered buying the Magni down the road. 

Opinions?

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 15
I don't have and have not heard either one of the specific cards that you've mentioned. but I do have a Xonar U3 and I had an HRT Head Streamer which is roughly the same idea and it was a hands down win for the Head Streamer which it well should have been for 4 times the cost. The Xonar cards and External DAC's really aren't targeted at the same audience so I think you can reasonably expect an external DAC like the Modi to be better for music. 

Schiit has an exceedingly good reputation here on Head-Fi so and from what I have heard second hand the Modi is good.

You might wish to consider something like the Headstreamer which has a built in amp. I've never actually tried running a pair of headphones right out of my Music Streamer II which is similar to the Modi in that it is just a DAC so it might work just fine. 

Good luck. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 15
That's an interesting point Spaceace.  I don't think I've heard much about either the Music Streamer II or the Headstreamer on here.  Looks like they might be more or less equivalent to the fiio products? 

More to think on (like I need that
blink.gif
)

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 15
I just got an ODAC and like it better than my Xonar STX. It's not ten times better, but I do feel the SQ is improved. The Modi has been compared to be similar to the ODAC. So I'd recommend going with the Modi over a sound card.

However, you'd better check on that "I'll just plug in my headphones to the Modi" idea. I know that the ODAC says specifically NOT to do that. Might be better to start with the Magni then add the Modi.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Hey folks, I've been lurking for a few weeks now.  Based on what everyone here has said about which headphones would likely work with what I listen to, I went to a shop in town here and bought (after listening to them) a pair of DT 770 80 ohm cans.  They are spectacular!  I am enjoying them more as the days go by. 
I would like to feed them audio not from a crummy on-board dac from my lenovo computer.  I didn't build this particular tower, so I actually don't know what kind of audio it has on it.  I suspect, after some reading here, that it's pretty crappy.  So, I would like to upgrade either to a card of some sort (Asus xonar dgx perhaps) or maybe just step up to the next tier and get a Schiit Modi. 
I'm open to any and all suggestions beyond these two, and depending on the reasoning I'd certainly change plans.  Currently, leaning slightly to the Modi so that I don't have to go and buy something down the road.  Not many have said bad things about the Modi so I feel that it's probably a solid choice.
I'll try and answer the requisite questions here as best I can remember, though being new I probably will miss some.  I listen to mp3s (the bulk of my library right now) and some FLAC files either ripped myself through foobar or downloaded from bandcamp.  I'm mostly into electronic, alternative, and rap.  I do love some classical as well; what I favor tends to ebb and flow as the months pass.  I don't have an amp, but these are only 80 ohm so I should be able to get by.  I have considered buying the Magni down the road. 

The Schiit Modi is an external USB DAC and does not have a headphone amplifier, so you would need an external headphone amplifier to go with the Modi.
I would say for now just to get the Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card, they come with a built in headphone amplifier.

The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $115(?), has a headphone amplifier and also come with a better DAC chip then the Xonar DG/DGX.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 15
For clarity, and at the risk of exposing just to what degree of a nub I am, my understanding is that these headphones don't require an amp per se, although one never hurts I suppose.

I realize now that the issue may be that the modi could only put out line-out level audio, in which case that's a no go.  Hmmmmm...I was hoping to stick to around $100, not so much because I am strapped for cash, but I am new to the hobby/field/what-have-you and I prefer to test things out before diving in, both barrels blazing.  That said, if the stack is a better quality then I don't really want to spend $100 now and then $200 later. 

It's all a bit academic on some level; I have until 2 weeks ago been listening to <192kbps mp3 through Logitech Z4 2.1 speakers fed by on board audio ::shrug::

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
For clarity, and at the risk of exposing just to what degree of a nub I am, my understanding is that these headphones don't require an amp per se, although one never hurts I suppose.

I realize now that the issue may be that the modi could only put out line-out level audio, in which case that's a no go.  Hmmmmm...I was hoping to stick to around $100, not so much because I am strapped for cash, but I am new to the hobby/field/what-have-you and I prefer to test things out before diving in, both barrels blazing.  That said, if the stack is a better quality then I don't really want to spend $100 now and then $200 later. 

It's all a bit academic on some level; I have until 2 weeks ago been listening to <192kbps mp3 through Logitech Z4 2.1 speakers fed by on board audio ::shrug::

You really do not want to use the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm without a headphone amplifier, otherwise you not going to get the best out of them.
Just get the Xonar DG for now, it's only $27.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 15
the DGX is one of the cards I've been eyeballing.  I suppose my main concern is being disappointed with the improvement in sound; I'd be willing to pay more if the quality boost was noticeable.  Some opinions made known here seem to indicate any card/DAC over on-board audio is fine with nuances as you increase price (more or less), but you are about the same quality until you shell out many Benjamins.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 15
Sorry. People here can tell you that in all probability it will be an improvement. But no one cannot predict for you whether or not that improvement will be enough. Only you can listen and make that determination.

Amazon has it for $40. Order it. If not happy, return it. As long you get it from Amazon itself or fulfilled by Amazon that is shipped by Amazon, the RMA process is simple (just don't destroy the packaging). You'll be out return shipping, but then you'll know you need to spend more.

This is just one of those things you have to try it to find out. Or forget it, spend more and get something better.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
The DGX is one of the cards I've been eyeballing.  I suppose my main concern is being disappointed with the improvement in sound; I'd be willing to pay more if the quality boost was noticeable.  Some opinions made known here seem to indicate any card/DAC over on-board audio is fine with nuances as you increase price (more or less), but you are about the same quality until you shell out many Benjamins.

Audio built into motherboards is dictated by manufacturing costs, not quality.
So the DGX should provide better audio quality.

The Sound Blaster Z ($110) comes with a better DAC (CS4398) then the Xonar DGX.
and a better head amp. then the Xonar DGX
Sometime the Sound Blaster Zx goes on sale ($120-$150).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back