Schiit Modi Stuttering
Jun 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Akha

New Head-Fier
I recently acquired a Schiit Modi dac. Was already pretty frustrated with it refusing to work until a reboot. While playing music in fb2k every 20 odd seconds it will stop playing for a few seconds and start again, or even cut out sections altogether. Similar issue on youtube videos and watching shows in MPC where the audio cuts out for sections at a time. It makes both medias practically unplayable, has anyone experienced this issue before?

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 39
I have yet to try out other media players but swapping from WASAPI to ASIO4ALL seems to have solved the stuttering problem. It still persists with youtube and watching videos in MPC however.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 39
SAPII have a schiit modi as well. The only time I notice stuttering was when my PC could not keep up with the applications I was running such as loading a game.

What kind of computer are you using? And do you got a lot of stuff running the background?

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 39
I have something similar happening with mine but it only stutters on YouTube videos. Doesn't happen if I use my on-board soundcard though.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 39
My PC usage is usually under 10% and memory about 25. With firefox open it probably jumps up a little. Just a little while ago the modi completely cut out on me and had to replug it back in..... At least there's no skipping on fb2k while it's working.

I wonder if it's possibly the cables as these are relatively cheap ones I found lying around the house.

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 39
Sounds more like DPC latency problems. Try LatencyMon or the simpler DPC Latency Checker.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 39
I would try another browser too for your youtube watching/listening.  Try out Chrome and let us know if that doesn't fix the problem.  Firefox has trouble sometimes letting go of resources (it also has memory leaks) which might be the problem.  I think this is more of a PC issue though but that's just a guess on my part.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 39
Did you manage to fix the problem?
I just bought a modi from another user here and am having the same stuttering issue...
Although it's only for a second or so every 20-something seconds, its still pretty annoying.

I'll check with my sister's macbook air to see if it's my laptop or the modi.
My interconnects are DIY so I doubt there's a problem there.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 39
Going to try to figure mine out tonight.
I don't get it in Foobar2k with WASPAI . Only when using the Modi outside of Foobar2k. Most noticeable on videos.

It doesn't happen when using my onboard soundcard.

Hopefully someone can narrow it down.

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 39
I had similar issues with another DAC but perhaps it might help?

Device Manager>USB Controllers>USB Root Hub - Properties - Power management

Locate the USB Root Hub your DAC is connected to and
[Uncheck] Allows The Computer To Turn Off This Device To Save Power

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 39
**Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread**

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:
I has similar issues with another DAC but perhaps it might help?

Device Manager>USB Controllers>USB Root Hub - Properties - Power management

Locate the USB Root Hub your DAC is connected to and
[Uncheck] Allows The Computer To Turn Off This Device To Save Power

Tried this and it didn't fix the problem. I haven't restarted my computer since I changed the settings but I am still getting the stuttering after changing the power management settings on my usb ports.

Update: There is no stuttering out of a Macbook Air with 24/96.
Modi stutters out of all of my USB ports on my PC so my guess would be something software related.
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, what about you guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back