Schiit MODI Question RCA to 3.5 MM female work?
Feb 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pclov3r

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a pair of AKG K550 which i'll get Friday.

Do you think I could get a RCA to 3.5mm Female plug and use a MODI DAC with them as the AKG K550 doesn't need an amp? 

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 7
No. You should not run an external DAC without a headphone amp with headphones. You need the Modi and the Magni, or some other headphone amp to pair with the Modi.

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 7
The DAC running RCA out, is different voltage with your headphone's output, thus can degrade or break your headphones.

Tim

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Or because "line level" is pretty much the same as "headphone level". I doubt it outputs more than 5V peak, what works out to about 10dB above the "SPL at 1V RMS" spec of given headphones. This would be loud, but still within reason. And we are talking about max volume here.

But OTOH, it's possible to build a crappy DAC which blows up with less than 10kΩ of load (and then takes the load with it) so I wouldn't try such tricks if the manufacturer explicitly says it's not supported.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Thank you!

I wonder why such adapters exist than? 

They can be used various ways.

For example, say you're trying to hook up your DAC to a pair of speakers.
There are speakers that does not take RCA Input, one being the Audioengine A5.
Thus, you'll need an RCA to 3.5mm adapter cable.  (or just an adapter)

You should be able to do it on some DAC's, i've done it plenty of times on lower powered units, but it's not really recommended.
You should only attempt it, if you know what you're doing.
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back