Schiit Modi optical - Sonos Connect
Aug 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

domes

Head-Fier
Anybody try the Schiit Modi optical version with a Sonos Connect?  Just curious if the Modi dac would make an improvement over the DAC in the Connect.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 4
Can't help you there, but my Bifrost made a huge improvement.  For what it's worth, an engineer from Audioquest I heard speak at the NY Audio show recently said that Sonos players sound much better from the optical out than from the coax out.  He said they were surprised when they tested various cables with Sonos, that their cheapest toslink cable trounced their $5000 coax.  He explained about the inner workings of the sons players and why the coax does not sound as good as the optical, but it was over my head.

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 4
Do you remember anything else about the Sonos sounding better on Optical?  I found this in a google search as I was wondering the same thing.

I was actually evaluating a few DACs based on the coax from a sonos connect, and when I switched over to the optical it changed everything.  Sounded much better on every DAC, but I had already returned a DAC for not sounding very good lo:

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 4
They did a demo for us toggling between optical and coax digital cables.  With the Sonos, the optical indeed sounded better.  Having switched in my own system now, I can confirm it is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back