Schiit Modi on cheap laptop (OSX Tiger?)
Jan 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ender323

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking into picking up a Schiit Modi/Magni combo. I had intended to use it with my iBook G4, but I am running 10.4.11, and I apparently need 10.5.x or higher to use the Modi. Upgrading to Leopard will cost me $130 from Apple. I do have a ~5 year old HP laptop, but its pretty old and really loud. I could clean the fans, and install Linux on it to speed it up a bit, but would all that noisy fan-spinning translate to more white noise/lower audio quality? Not really interested in a large investment in a new, decent laptop, or an expensive Leopard upgrade, along with the price of the Schiits. 

Also, does anyone have experience with using the Modi on 10.4.11? It would really be nice if it would just work.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 7
Why wouldn't a Modi DAC work on 10.4? I can't see why it wouldn't work.

10.4 marked the beginning of Core Audio which is the same audio handling that the most recent versions of OS X use. It should natively support driverless usage of the Modi DAC. Schiit has a 30 day return policy.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Why wouldn't a Modi DAC work on 10.4? I can't see why it wouldn't work.

10.4 marked the beginning of Core Audio which is the same audio handling that the most recent versions of OS X use. It should natively support driverless usage of the Modi DAC. Schiit has a 30 day return policy.

I emailed Jason at Schiit, he said that the Modi required 10.5. I got my hands on a Leopard disc, still interested if a cheap laptop will influence SQ when used with an external amp and DAC.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 7
Unless you experience dropout it won't. The laptop won't change sound quality it will completely miss chunks of the music. It doesn't take much processing power or ram to play music.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Unless you experience dropout it won't. The laptop won't change sound quality it will completely miss chunks of the music. It doesn't take much processing power or ram to play music.

Allright...but the loud fans and vibrations from them won't cause white noise?

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
They will make noise but they won't affect your DAC or its signal.

Alright thanks. Not fussed on outside noise, doubt I'll hear it through my Complys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back